U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:43 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,482,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Contact your local newspaper and get connected to an investigative reporter. Tell this story and provide as much documentation as possible. The court of public opinion might decide in your daughter's favor. There's also a possibility of bringing legal action against this teacher, with a claim that she deliberately sabotaged the essay, to favor the student who won the contest. Let the court decide if she had an ulterior motive. This teacher was playing hardball, so counter with the same thing. Don't let her get away with putting a damper on your daughter's enthusiasm for academics.

This is horrible advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 AM

25,310 posts, read 41,385,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
My 9 year old granddaughter just passed the third grade. There was a writing contest before the end of school, and she wrote a story that everyone thought would win the contest. However, another student won the award, and this student's story wasn't near as good as my granddaughter's story.
Sorry, but thet is just your opinion... We also have grand-kids, and yes we think they are the greatest! But in reality, they could be better...

Quote:
My daughter is livid, as is my granddaughter. The school year has ended, and she will not have the same teacher for fourth grade. Neither my daughter or I feel that what this teacher did was appropriate, but what can be done?
Report the issue to a member of the school board. I was correct one out of five times with our son... Then a few teachers helped me to understand..

Quote:
It is a very small town, and she is afraid if she speaks out about this there will be negative repercussions for herself and her daughter. Thoughts?
Years later, we still go to schools to help with various projects. I have learned a lot. It can be difficult to be a parent or grand-parent. Sometimes "Patience is a Virtue and Silence is Bliss."

Good luck to you.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 PM

8,309 posts, read 9,063,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A lot of people like to say that life isn't fair. And that's true. But particularly as educators, we need to make life more fair whenever we can.

As far as I'm concerned, I could care less who actually won the contest. Too many factors we don't know about that, and I find the OP a little pretentious in that regard.

But this is all too much like cheating and plagiarism in reverse. An honest entry is an honest entry. A dishonest teacher is a dishonest teacher.

Teachers (and principals) ought to be held to a higher standard that the students they work with, and schools certainly are to the rule in things like cheating and plagiarism.
That's just about perfect.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:41 PM

5,340 posts, read 7,206,910 times
Were there rules for the contest entry that the teacher was trying to modify the story to conform to - such as length, having to be typed, etc.? Did she edit all the papers? But yeah it is likely she should not have edited it. However, you really don't know that she cost the granddaughter the win - that is an assumption and not a healthy one to feed to the grandchild. Teach the child to be pleased for a job well done, period. Take the story she wrote and help her turn it into her own book, etc. The year is over, so I would let it go.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 AM

15 posts, read 2,409 times
It was completely wrong by teachers as well as school management. You have to talk about it so that these stupid things will not be repeated again.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 AM

923 posts, read 253,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think it's valid to ask why the story was edited... IF it was. If you have a copy of the story as submitted, why didn't you or your daughter recognize the changes before seeing the old version? Maybe the old version was a first draft that was cleaned up later in class and your daughter forgot that part.
It sounded to me like she probably didn't read the submitted version. Could be for many reasons-- kids never pay attention to stuff, maybe it was paperclipped to the back of the original and she didn't see it/bother with it, maybe it got lost in a stack of papers and forgotten, etc.

She probably didn't forget making changes she didn't even like. In fact, that's how I've known my stuff was edited by someone else-- "I don't remember writing it like that, but maybe my memory is faulty... no... I wouldn't have made that change."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Ok. So I had a flashback to 4th grade.

The contest was for elementary school students to design an anti-littering billboard that would be used in the county, in upstate New York. In the 60's.

So I designed a very simple billboard, with a garbage can the lid open, and litter going into it, with the slogan "Put 'er There, Pal".

My father was so enthusiastic about my chances for winning.

The artwork was simple, and good. Looked just like a slightly dented garbage can, lid open.

Before I was able to submit my design, my teacher made me add a lot to it, namely, huge redwood trees in California, and I forget what all else. The result was a very confusing jumble of images, and what in the world did the "Put 'er There Pal" even refer to in what I finally submitted?

Come to think of it, I'm still pissed. My guess is, she had never even heard that saying.

It was one of those helpless childhood things, where you know you're smarter than the adult, but you have to comply. This is the same teacher, BTW, who thought pimientos grew in green olives, and in order to make pimiento cheese salad, you had to harvest them from green olives.
OMG. That sounds like things that happened to me when I was a kid, too. I seem to recall having things that I was forced to change so much that I no longer even wanted to bother with them/wanted my name on them.

(More minor: the other thing I hated was teachers who made you submit a "rough draft" of a paper, and then make changes for your final. Like, we were required to make changes. The problem is, I usually edit things as I go, so by the time I'm ready to submit/show to someone else, it IS the final in my mind and is already just the way I want it. There is nothing I need to change. In these cases I learned in the "rough draft" to make a couple silly typos, or a sentence whose structure I would change, just so I could say "I made changes.")

Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 AM

2,995 posts, read 2,232,607 times
To the OP:

If the school hasn't closed for summer call and asked to speak with the person in charge. Simply say you would like some clarification regarding the paper in question.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 AM

17,005 posts, read 17,320,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
To the OP:

If the school hasn't closed for summer call and asked to speak with the person in charge. Simply say you would like some clarification regarding the paper in question.
If this really bugs you and your family, your granddaughter's parents should contact the teacher and ask for clarification. Even if school is out the school office may be able to get a message to the teacher to call them. I suspect that everyone will discover that there is a lot more to this story. Perhaps, the paper that you found was the first of multiple rough drafts and your granddaughter's final story was much, much different in content and in length. I bet that there were certain guidelines as to length and/or content or other things that meant that your granddaughter needed to make changes and revisions to her initial rough draft.

IMHO, I truly do not believe that the teacher changed the content of the paper. And, I really, really do not believe that the teacher changed the story so that a different child would win instead of your granddaughter. Depending on the type of writing contest the teacher may have been allowed to change spelling errors and punctuation errors to make the paper more readable or to avoid embarrassing the child (especially if this was a just a school wide contest). It is likely that this was explained to the child, however, since she was only a third grader she may not have realized what that meant in practice and was surprised when her parents and grandparents compared the rough draft to the final product.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 AM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Take your documentation to the school principal. Do not surrender the docs. Make copies ahead of time.

Your complaint is valid, but not because your grand did not win. Your beef is that the teacher tampered with your daughter’s composition,

This is a real problem. Take it to the principal. He or she needs to know this.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:53 AM

10,666 posts, read 21,340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Take your documentation to the school principal. Do not surrender the docs. Make copies ahead of time.

Your complaint is valid, but not because your grand did not win. Your beef is that the teacher tampered with your daughter’s composition,

This is a real problem. Take it to the principal. He or she needs to know this.
Great suggestion to make copies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or