U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:11 PM

78,625 posts, read 70,508,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
The answer to your question is in your original post: "this is a very small town."

No matter whether the teacher was wrong or not, your daughter and granddaughter will get a bad rep.

Your granddaughter needs to learn how to move on after bad things happen, and that is a more valuable lesson than
anything she could have won in a contest.
If the school principal and the teacher allowed word of a parent questioning a teacher's action to get out around town, that would be highly unprofessional. I don't believe that would happen, or that the location being a small town has anything to do with it. I think that is just the OP catastrophizing, and imagining worst-case scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 12:22 PM

15,536 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I find it kind of funny how so many on here are stuck on what they perceive an over enthusiastic grandmother and have glossed over the point that regardless of that issue, a teacher should never be editing a student's work for submission to a contest. If it's a 1000 words and the contest was 500 or less, the teacher might tell the student, but any rewrite is up to the student. And if the student doesn't, it's up to the contest judges to disqualify the entry, not the teacher. It's an integrity issue that compromises the contest.

You'd be surprised how vindictive some school systems can be toward students and parents that make waves. And they have very long memories. Teachers have a lot of ways to punish the parents by taking it out on the kids in a manner that can never be proven.
Yep, very vindictive and will carry through HS and until they are school. It will be subtle, noticeable, but impossible to prove, but you know that is what is going on.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:22 PM

78,625 posts, read 70,508,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
This town has a population of @1300. There is one elementary, one middle and one high school. Anything that happens in this town is known and talked about by everyone. Literally. In some cases, this can be a good thing, such as when my daughter was in a serious car crash. The whole town rallied to help her and her family. However, any malicious gossip, whether true or not, spreads like wildfire, and sometimes rocking the boat can cause more damage that good. My daughter and her family have only lived there for four years, and are still considered "newcomers". She has worked very hard to contribute positively to the community, and does not want to take a chance of being labeled a "troublemaker", or have her daughter caught in the middle of anything that could effect how she is treated in school by the teachers or the other students.

As upset and angry as they both are, mainly because her work was changed not because of the contest, she can't come up with any way to address this without c causing negative backlash of some sort. Life is not fair, and sometimes that's a tough lesson to learn.
Why would the principal or teacher gossip about a 3rd-grader's parent asking about an essay submission alteration? If your daughter is unable to present her concern calmly and diplomatically, that's a whole other issue. And why are you assuming, that it's your daughter, who would come out looking bad, if word got out? You're implying, that the entire town would be on the side of a teacher guilty of malfeasance, if in fact the teacher did significantly alter the paper. That scenario doesn't make sense. If a teacher overstepped her bounds and acted unethically, other parents would probably be relieved to know, that the teacher was held accountable.

I'm not sure why the assumption is being made, that the principal and teacher would fail to observe professional boundaries, and would blab around the community over an incident in 3rd grade.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:41 PM

5,461 posts, read 2,922,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post

... The teacher changed a lot of things in the story, took out quite a bit of it, and it was no longer the story that my granddaughter submitted. Had the items that the teacher deleted been left alone, the story would probably have won the award.
How do you know for sure that the teacher and the student did not edit the story together?
Maybe now the daughter is too uncomfortable or confused to what happened especially since you have probably shared with her that she should have won the award.

I vote for letting it go too. It will not end well.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:36 PM

3,883 posts, read 1,651,610 times
The teacher probably thought she was doing your daughter a favor, cleaning up all that stuff that didn't belong. Perhaps she's always wanted to be a writer, but isn't as good as she thinks she is.

You know what they say, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

Old 05-25-2019, 06:55 PM

22,465 posts, read 10,399,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If the school principal and the teacher allowed word of a parent questioning a teacher's action to get out around town, that would be highly unprofessional. I don't believe that would happen, or that the location being a small town has anything to do with it. I think that is just the OP catastrophizing, and imagining worst-case scenarios.
I am reminded of a problem we often had at our school. It was located in a clearly well-to-do area, although a large segment of our population came from somewhat poor areas. But we usually had trouble finding office secretaries. For the pay level we could offer, we couldn't really get professional secretaries, and often most of our applicants would be local mothers who just wanted some part time work. We did everything we could to avoid hiring local moms in our school for the simple reason that they usually couldn't keep their mouths shut, whether it was about a staff member or a student.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:54 PM

286 posts, read 120,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am reminded of a problem we often had at our school. It was located in a clearly well-to-do area, although a large segment of our population came from somewhat poor areas. But we usually had trouble finding office secretaries. For the pay level we could offer, we couldn't really get professional secretaries, and often most of our applicants would be local mothers who just wanted some part time work. We did everything we could to avoid hiring local moms in our school for the simple reason that they usually couldn't keep their mouths shut, whether it was about a staff member or a student.
Low pay attracts low quality candidates? How profound.

From this reply and other threads, your school (of which I understand you are or were the principal) seems to have employee retention levels at all levels, from teachers to secretaries. Perhaps you should look into why that is?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 AM

22,465 posts, read 10,399,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Low pay attracts low quality candidates? How profound.

From this reply and other threads, your school (of which I understand you are or were the principal) seems to have employee retention levels at all levels, from teachers to secretaries. Perhaps you should look into why that is?
What I am saying is that many possible candidates would not drive far for that kind of pay. So we tended to get neighborhood applicants for non-professional positions.

Actually, not sure at all where you get most of your post. Our teachers tended to stay for decades (which was actually a problem). We had no retention problems in terms of professional staff. Our school was considered one of the ten best middle schools in the state.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 AM

608 posts, read 223,271 times
Go to the contest and tell them what happen and if they could review the stories submitted, and include the written and typed copy. See the contest people do not know so......

Another problem is the contest could also be faked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or