U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:37 AM

524 posts, read 262,949 times

Advertisements

My 9 year old granddaughter just passed the third grade. There was a writing contest before the end of school, and she wrote a story that everyone thought would win the contest. However, another student won the award, and this student's story wasn't near as good as my granddaughter's story.

Yesterday, my daughter was going through her end of school papers, and found the original draft of the story, and the typed version that the teacher submitted. The teacher changed a lot of things in the story, took out quite a bit of it, and it was no longer the story that my granddaughter submitted. Had the items that the teacher deleted been left alone, the story would probably have won the award.

My daughter is livid, as is my granddaughter. The school year has ended, and she will not have the same teacher for fourth grade. Neither my daughter or I feel that what this teacher did was appropriate, but what can be done? To change a student's work without their knowledge or permission, especially if it was a contest entry, seems underhanded and possibly illegal.

Should my daughter address this with the school, or just let it go and move on? It is a very small town, and she is afraid if she speaks out about this there will be negative repercussions for herself and her daughter. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

10,075 posts, read 4,022,502 times
I think this is worth an email to the teacher and copy the principal.

Is the building still open - that is, teachers and admin are still there wrapping up the year?

I'd be interested in her reasons for editing.

If they offer the contest in the future, and she participates, it would be worth a discussion with the teacher about any unauthorized edits.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 AM

78,543 posts, read 70,455,727 times
What the teacher did was unethical. And who knows how many times the teacher has done something similar in any context where there stakes were high for students? Apparently, the teacher has no qualms about transgressing ethical boundaries to support a favorite student. I would definitely call this to the attention of the principal, and also ask for an explanation from the teacher. From the description, the teacher went way beyond correcting a few grammar errors, or whatever. Basically, the teacher cheated on behalf of her favored student. What a lousy lesson to teach the two students in question! This is absolutely unacceptable.

Next year, the child will be 10. Perhaps her parents might see that she learns to type her own papers, if the school doesn't teach the computer keyboard. That way, no teacher will have to type her submissions. Being able to type her own papers will be a boon to her in Middle School and beyond.

It seems awfully early for the school year to be over. Do they start early in the fall/late summer?

Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 AM

1,763 posts, read 563,309 times
Completely inappropriate/unethical IMO. The teacher basically lied to everyone by placing that before others without telling them she had modified it. She should be reprimanded.

IF, there had been something inappropriate, then she would have been right to bring it up. However, she needs to bring it up to the author. I would have been furious.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM

524 posts, read 262,949 times
The students do know how to type, and usually do type their own papers. There was really no reason for the teacher to have typed it. One of the characters in her story had a unique spelling of the name, which is how my granddaughter wanted it to be spelled, and the teacher even changed that.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Completely inappropriate/unethical IMO.
+1.

But undoubtedly oh-so-well-intended.

It's a tangent, but I once received a two-page letter about my fourth-grade stepson's awful classroom behavior... which basically boiled down to not taking anything on say-so and asking questions until the point was resolved. It was written by, or at least signed, by the teacher, the 'senior teacher' (this being the era of shared classrooms, gah) and the principal.

I read it through twice, then got out my red pen. By the time I was done marking up basic spelling and grammar (including misspelling my child's simple name in two different ways), it looked like I'd mopped up a murder with it.

I sent it back without any further comment.

They never questioned him or me again.

But their intentions were so good.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:33 PM

24,104 posts, read 30,225,572 times
why did the teacher edit the paper?

Old 05-21-2019, 03:19 PM

8,309 posts, read 9,066,401 times
Noting that there may well be some legit behind the scenes reason for the edit...........failing that I'd be furious. On the surface this isn't crossing the line this is taking a flamethrower to the line.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM

9,165 posts, read 8,281,799 times
Illegal? Hardly. How would you prove intent?

Let. It. Go.

You have no idea what is going on with the other student and it makes you look crazy trying to reprimand a teacher for this.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM

2,996 posts, read 2,232,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Illegal? Hardly. How would you prove intent?

Let. It. Go.

You have no idea what is going on with the other student and it makes you look crazy trying to reprimand a teacher for this.
One can certainly ask. Wait to hear the teachers reason for editing the paper.

My guess is she might have done the same thing for all the students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or