Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times

Advertisements

Lots of bitterness in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:23 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Lots of bitterness in this thread.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but I don't see the bitterness you're talking about.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Junior year, I took a girl from another school to her prom. When we arrived, she proceeded to ignore me and went off with her friends and dancing with other guys from her school who asked her to dance. When I asked her to dance, she said "in a minute' and then went off to dance with her friends, then with some guy, then friends, then someone who looked like a teacher. . . my "minute" never arrived. Notwithstanding her actions, I felt it was inappropriate for me to go chasing other girls given that I brought her to her prom as her date (plus i was/am pretty shy and the other girls had all come with their own date (who was probably dancing with my date at some point in the evening), but still, i was not going to stir up trouble), so I sat in the corner by myself for an hour and then left.

My parents were so excited about me going to a prom, I did not want to come home in just over an hour and tell them what happened, so I found an empty parking lot and slept in my car for a few hours and went home around 1 a.m. and told them I had a great time, but I did not think I would date that girl again.

What did I wear? A burnt orange crushed velvet double breasted sport-coat with peach colored polyester pants and whatever kind of polyester tie was in style at the time (probably looked like a balck light poster, only with burnt orange and peach in it someplace). I was a high style dude.

Senior Prom - I had just started dating the captain of the football team's girlfriend. She left him to go out with me about a week before the prom. They had already bought prom tickets together and she told me she would feel terrible leaving him with no date after dumping him the week before the prom, so she went with him and I stayed home. I was not going to go ask someone else. it was the start of a long one sided and semi abusive (mentally) relationship. But she was the hottest girl in the school, so there was that. Anyway for that prom, I wore a Who T-shirt, jeans, a bottle of vodka and OJ and tears.

When she was a senior we were still dating, but she broke up with me to go with someone else and then got back together the next week. then we broke up in a horrible way a couple of months later (not long after going shopping at the mall jewelry stores to look at engagement rings). Decades later, I discovered she had become one of the leading LGBT rights leaders in the country and an avowed lesbian (except her partner is now becoming a man, so she will have to adopt one of the other letters for her label I guess).

From what I saw of a prom, it looked like some of the other people were having a really nice time and everyone was dressed nicely, especially me.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-30-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Junior year, I took a girl from another school to her prom. When we arrived, she proceeded to ignore me and went off with her friends and dancing with other guys from her school who asked her to dance. When I asked her to dance, she said "in a minute' and then went off to dance with her friends, then with some guy, then friends, then someone who looked like a teacher. . . my "minute" never arrived. Notwithstanding her actions, I felt it was inappropriate for me to go chasing other girls given that I brought her to her prom as her date (plus i was/am pretty shy and the other girls had all come with their own date (who was probably dancing with my date at some point in the evening), but still, i was not going to stir up trouble), so I sat in the corner by myself for an hour and then left.

My parents were so excited about me going to a prom, I did not want to come home in just over an hour and tell them what happened, so I found an empty parking lot and slept in my car for a few hours and went home around 1 a.m. and told them I had a great time, but I did not think I would date that girl again.

What did I wear? A burnt orange crushed velvet double breasted sport-coat with peach colored polyester pants and whatever kind of polyester tie was in style at the time (probably looked like a balck light poster, only with burnt orange and peach in it someplace). I was a high style dude.

Senior Prom - I had just started dating the captain of the football team's girlfriend. She left him to go out with me about a week before the prom. They had already bought prom tickets together and she told me she would feel terrible leaving him with no date after dumping him the week before the prom, so she went with him and I stayed home. I was not going to go ask someone else. it was the start of a long one sided and semi abusive (mentally) relationship. But she was the hottest girl in the school, so there was that. Anyway for that prom, I wore a Who T-shirt, jeans, a bottle of vodka and OJ and tears.

When she was a senior we were still dating, but she broke up with me to go with someone else and then got back together the next week. then we broke up in a horrible way a couple of months later (not long after going shopping at the mall jewelry stores to look at engagement rings). Decades later, I discovered she had become one of the leading LGBT rights leaders in the country and an avowed lesbian (except her partner is now becoming a man, so she will have to adopt one of the other letters for her label I guess).

From what I saw of a prom, it looked like some of the other people were having a really nice time and everyone was dressed nicely, especially me.
Holy smokes. You might want to get all your details together as this might make a pretty good movie.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM

92 posts, read 42,074 times
I went and am happy that I did. Fond memories that never fade, but judging from a recent reunion, there are some people stuck in high school, even the same cliques.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
If so, what did you wear and did you enjoy it? I did for both and remember them being pretty fun.
Hell yeah I went to my Senior Prom! This was a one time event I was not about to miss with my HS buds. I recall getting to the Prom around 10-ish. One of the first things I did was to get with a few of my buds and smoke a couple of Big Bamboo blunts in the rest room, just as we'd done dozens of times in our old school. Here we were, smoking one of our last blunts together, when suddenly, our Music Teacher walked in. It was Prom night. We weren't the least bit concerned about what he thought. To our surprise, he took several hits with us. Given his reaction, we could tell this was something he was not accustomed to. Still, sharing the moment with us was well appreciated.

After the blunts, I made my way to the dance floor and danced Salsa with a girl I liked who'd graduated 2 years prior. She seemed amused by my interest in "an older" chick. Nothing came of it. But we both enjoyed the few songs we danced to.

Around 2am I went home only to awaken at 7am in order to make it on time to my College Entrance exam at 8am. I lacked sleep and was a bit hung over.

Exam results? I was accepted into a "privileged" university in the Metro area.

The year? 1978

I often feel as though I'm wrapping my arms around The Memories which, to this day, often cause me to smile.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Your posts are always fascinating on more than one level.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:46 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
The guy I was dating way back then was too much a cheapskate (and didn't like dressing up) to take me to the prom. We parked in the woods and put away a couple of six packs instead. Prior to that, we cruised by the hotel where the prom was taking place, so he could laugh at the guys in their pastel tuxes and ruffled shirts. What I missed most was being glam and wearing a prom gown, more than actually going to the prom with some guy I probably didn't like anyway.

Luckily, my taste in men changed. DH (several years older than me) had gone to a religious school. They didn't have proms, they had "banquets". Proms have dancing, and that's a sin. I mentioned my regret of never having had a prom gown to DH, and one year, when I was in my forties (and we'd been married 25 years), he bought me a beautiful prom gown (on sale) and I have some great pictures of me wearing it. He said, had he known me then, he would have taken me...but he would have been way too old for me back then.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:44 AM

804 posts, read 545,449 times
Nope. My mother was a coward and my brain was filled with stereotypes. Proms are actually nice little places to go. I wish I had the courage I had now. Basically like going to a nightclub and getting drunk and dancing. It is cute and everything. I regret that. My HS prom was canned because not enough people brought tickets. Again many parents was fear and doubt and was immature. I would encourage people to go to a prom and even buy the limousine

Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
I did not go to mine and do not regret it. Lets just say I was the odd man (skin color) out. Not that there was anything wrong with it. I just wasn't my scene at all. Instead of going some of my friends and I had a fun get together and enjoyed ourselves that way. Looking back I really wish I went to a different school that I fit in a little better. I feel like I missed out on so many extra curricular activities like sports, dances, etc. because of that. Anyone else fill that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education