U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Lots of bitterness in this thread.
Really?

I don't see that. Some sadness over memories of not being included in what was once considered an important thing, coupled with the realization that it wasn't important at all.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:21 AM

15,865 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really?

I don't see that. Some sadness over memories of not being included in what was once considered an important thing, coupled with the realization that it wasn't important at all.
That was another part of why I didn't go; at that point my future was in Ithaca (Cornell), not _______ High School in Westchester. When I look back that was where I entered basically a child and came out (almost) a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 AM

2,149 posts, read 527,667 times
Too expensive.

But I do recall several high school girls with whom I was acquainted becoming especially friendly to me leading up to it, only to revert to their steady-state behaviour.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 06-08-2019 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 AM

5,156 posts, read 6,349,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really?

I don't agree with you statement, "in what was once considered an important thing." I went in 1973. I don't remember spending a lot of money. The prices today are crazy. I think kids today think it is much more important and are willing to spend (or their parents are) an excessive amount of money. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, our prom was held in the HS cafeteria and gym. I don't remember anyone hiring a limo. BTW, my three children went to their proms between 2004 and 2009. Nothing much as changed since then.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:22 AM

17,225 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Why would anybody think that going to their high school prom was “important”? How many people end up marrying their prom date and living happily ever after?

Back in my day, going to the prom was a way for guys to brag about getting laid. lol

Old 06-09-2019, 05:21 AM

37,092 posts, read 45,594,679 times
I went to my Senior Prom with my boyfriend who was in college. I wish I had gone with the boy from my class who invited me, because we would have had more fun. My college boyfriend was sort of a pain about lowering himself to go to a high school function.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:39 AM

624 posts, read 602,749 times
No I did not. I wasnít involved in high school activities, didnít go to games, I just wanted to be done with it. My (older) BF offered to take me, but I wasnít interested in spending all of that money on a dress, so I worked that night.

I feel I made the right decision.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I agree. I did not go, did not want to go, and did not even think of going. High School was a very bad time for me. I skipped Graduation too, and I do not regret skipping either the prom or the graduation.

I have never been back to a reunion and keep up with very few people I knew growing up. So no regrets.

I did attend a college graduation, wished I had skipped that too. I have no "mementos " of high school...no class ring, no graduation invites, no diploma, no pictures....And I am glad, because I want nothing to remind me of it.
The only reason I attended graduation is because my parents were both high school drop outs and I knew it was important to them. Same with art sk00l. Did not give one single hoot about any of the trappings of HS, just wanted to be done with it all. I looked at it as a twelve year prison sentence. I really donít even have many memories of HS, to be honest.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
the guidance counselor called me into her office she told me she did not see my name on the purchased tickets list and I told her that was because I was not going to prom and she asked me why ? I told her to call my mom and ask her . Oh did she make the mistake of doing just that . My mom told her to mind her own business and to keep her nose out of our family business . That woman never asked me back to her office the rest of the school year . LOL no no prom for me ever thank God .
Good grief, how pushy is that??! Nothing like wanting to sell tickets under the guise of Ďcheckingí on you to make sure you werenít suicidal about not going to the *very* important prom, for crying out loud, lol.

Hooray for your mom, too!

Old 06-09-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh I wish I would have ... I have deep regrets about my teenage years because when I was a teenager; I decided I didnít want to end up being old with a lot of regrets. The irony ...

I hadnít set foot in a school for almost 2 years when my Senior Prom was held in 1986. My son was about 5 months old & we were living in a 325 sq ft, 1 bedroom apartment.

I returned to school later that same year but for college, not High School. So, no Prom. I graduated college but I took toddlers to the pediatrician for ear infections during spring break (I swear every year!) instead of going to Cabo. Iíve been married twice but never got to have a wedding.

Now Im 51 & I find myself looking at the beautiful dresses & trying to think up a scenario where I might be able to wear one. I donít know why itís the dresses that get to me. It sounds silly, or trivial but thatís what gets to me.
Awwwww, Iím sorry! My mom was a teenage parent and missed out on all that stuff, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education