U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 PM

1,171 posts, read 463,614 times

Advertisements

I did a search and found nothing.

So I'll attempt to start a thread to ask questions and discuss Spanish learning.

I just reached B2 level and will continue my studies.

I study online with private teachers
Read books in Spanish, usually in the first person to help with my speaking skill.

Some books I've read are: Como aqua para chocolate (Like water for chocolate), Cather in the Rye,
Matar a un Ruisenor (To Kill a Mocking bird) and I'm now reading La Ira de Las Uvas (The grapes of wrath).

I learn a lot from youtube videos also and also watch and listen to new reports in Spanish.

Anyone else?

Are you learning Spanish or any language?

What have been your challenges? How is you progress? What are you goals.

My goal is to reach C1 and I'm learning Spanish b/c I like the language and it may be useful for work in
the US under some circumstances.

I studied in Guatemala for a month in 1995 and plan to return to study at the Spanish academies in Guatemala (and Nicaragua if the political problems get resolved) and I'll study for several months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 04:50 AM

Ojalá que personas vengan aquí.

Hablemos espanol.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 AM

639 posts, read 291,954 times
Hola, ¿Cómo estás?

Soy Jorge, soy español de nacionalidad, y estaría encantado de responderte, si puedo, preguntas sobre español. Yo estoy realizando el camino inverso, estoy aprendiendo inglés y actualmente mi nivel es B2, también me interesa estudiar para el nivel C1 (Advanced). Encantado de conocerte.

Saludos,

Jorge

------------------------

Hello Returning2USA, Hope you are doing well!

I'm Jorge, spaniard nationality, and I would be pleased to answer you questions, if I am able to, spanish questions. I am working in the reverse path, I am learning english and my current level (certified) is B2 (First Certificate, FCE) and I am also interested to reach C1 (Advanced). Nice to meet you.

Regards,

Jorge

Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Hola, Jorge.

Entiendo todo has escrito. Con mucho gusto conocerte.

Tengo profesores de Espana y me gusta la cultura de tú país.

Voy a escribir más tarde en el idioma.

Tengo experiencia en FCE y CAE y IELTS.

Si tuviera el tiempo, viajaría a Madrid, Barcelona, Alacante, Sevilla, Granada y otros lugares.

Me gustaría viajar a Espana en el futuro.

Nos vemos.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:42 AM

291 posts, read 57,765 times
Why would I want to learn spanish? I dont plan to go to Spain...screw spanish

Old 06-14-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Why would I want to learn spanish? I dont plan to go to Spain...screw spanish
Que malo.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 AM

6,089 posts, read 2,817,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Hola, Jorge.

Entiendo todo has escrito. Con mucho gusto conocerte.

Tengo profesores de Espana y me gusta la cultura de tú país.

Voy a escribir más tarde en el idioma.

Tengo experiencia en FCE y CAE y IELTS.

Si tuviera el tiempo, viajaría a Madrid, Barcelona, Alacante, Sevilla, Granada y otros lugares.

Me gustaría viajar a Espana en el futuro.

Nos vemos.

Very good with the subjunctive and conditional. Bravo!

One thing that you will find is that learning to speak Spanish can be 100% controllable, even purely academic exercise, and it can be done in a near complete vacuum, without any need to actually speak to anyone. Not so with understanding. For that you have to interact with people, and learning to understand different accents, idioms, slang etc. can be quite difficult.

When I was learning to speak Spanish (100% immersion, lived in South America) I became a very competent speaker in little time. But learning to understand was much more difficult. One way to facilitate that is with a lot of TV watching and radio listening. Telenovelas are a surprisingly good way to learn to understand the spoken word.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:52 PM

12,617 posts, read 28,088,396 times
From your friendly neighborhood mod- no more posts in Spanish please. Languages other than English are prohibited on city-data

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Very good with the subjunctive and conditional. Bravo!

One thing that you will find is that learning to speak Spanish can be 100% controllable, even purely academic exercise, and it can be done in a near complete vacuum, without any need to actually speak to anyone. Not so with understanding. For that you have to interact with people, and learning to understand different accents, idioms, slang etc. can be quite difficult.

When I was learning to speak Spanish (100% immersion, lived in South America) I became a very competent speaker in little time. But learning to understand was much more difficult. One way to facilitate that is with a lot of TV watching and radio listening. Telenovelas are a surprisingly good way to learn to understand the spoken word.
Hi, Tax

Yes, I was planning to go to Guatemala (or Nicaragua before the political problems) and spend a few months there at the Spanish Academies. I learned in Guatemala in 1995 and loved it.

But a job opportunity came and I took it and I'm ensconced far away from these countries. When things change I'll go back again.

But as for now,

I have 500+ hours learning online with private teachers and it's been very helpful.

I also read books in Spanish and to improve the speaking skill reading books in the first person is very beneficial.

Reading as we know, is great for expanding vocabulary and becoming familiar with the usage of various grammatical structures.

I'm currently reading "The Grapes of Wrath" (which is written in the 3rd person).

Youtube is great for looking up a grammar point, or just listening to newscasts, interviews, or speeches for the listening skill.

For pronunciation, "shadowing" can help.

I don't find the apps useful but I do like Anki. It's very helpful to me.

As for movies, I've seen many moves from Latin America and Spain. Lots of vowel reduction, slang and colloquial speech.

As for the writing skill, I just started writing short stories and read them or send them to my teacher and she corrects them.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education