U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 AM

5,451 posts, read 3,758,152 times

Advertisements

The basic systems of K-12 and college education were designed in the late 19th and early 20th century. It was men who created them, and designed it more with boys in mind than girls. Up until the 1970s we still had a lot of gender segregation in schools - all boys or all girls schools, etc..

So if there is a gender gap of males underperforming, I'm going to say society is more at fault than the education system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 10:42 AM

7,728 posts, read 9,024,418 times
Lots of scholarships out there are based on genitalia. Look at how many scholarships there are for women. If you had one for men you would be called misogynist, racist (because that's a favorite word) or some other -ist and get some lecture.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:46 AM

515 posts, read 114,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
More like 25 for boys.

This isn't a "last 10 years" thing but has been ongoing for decades. I taught from 1984 to 2015, and the number of female Vals far outnumbered males. It goes back further.

As someone mentioned, school is really set up to favor typical female strengths in language and word usage, even more so since A Nation At Risk was released and the focus of school transitioned almost entirely to academics.
Right brain/left brain at work.
Girls tend to be more left brain and boys more right brain.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:47 AM

515 posts, read 114,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The big question is, what can schools do differently to help boys?
Help boys do what..write better essays ?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:54 AM

5,191 posts, read 4,887,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Help boys do what..write better essays ?
How to change the system so that it doesn't favor one gender over the other as much.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 AM

8,596 posts, read 3,026,483 times
Quote:
How to change the system so that it doesn't favor one gender over the other as much.
It doesn't.

It completely fails to address developmental differences between the genders. Always has, moreso these days when we're all genderless by fiat, especially in schools.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:08 AM

78,625 posts, read 70,508,089 times
Quote:
The big question is, what can schools do differently to help boys?
That's a complex question. Some kids (including girls) don't do well in school, because their home life is chaotic. There's nothing the schools can do about that. But I think some posters' point was, that just because fewer boys applied for the scholarships, and hardly any won one, that doesn't necessarily indicate a failure of the education system. It may indicate that boys have different priorities and interests than girls. Or are less mature in their mid-teens.

How boys fare on scholarship applications compared to girls may not be an accurate metric to use, to judge whether the education system is failing boys. That's what I got from this thread so far. The OP may have drawn an unwarranted conclusion, from his observations.

But the tendency in some school districts to eliminate PE and cut down (or eliminate) recess time doesn't serve boys well, that's one thing I've read.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:09 AM

22,465 posts, read 10,399,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
For the past 10 years or so, I was usually the person assigned to present our Kiwanis Club scholarships on senior recognition day. The accomplishments of the students receiving the millions of $ of scholarships is remarkable. However something else stands out:

90% or more of the valedictorians/top ten students are female. Not in one instance but every year, year after year. About 70% of the scholarship recipients are female. Again not in one instance but year after year.

This is not unique to our community. Other clubs with scholarships - their presenters have told me the same thing is true at their schools.

Almost all of the colleges our kids have attended or considered were majority female students. Some were as high as 65%. Outside of hard sciences, many graduate schools are 80 - 100 % women.

Men are not dumber than women. It should be more even. We must be doing something wrong in our education system or the way we raise kids.
I'm not sure you should read a lot into that.

When I was teaching earth science back in the later 1970s and through the 1980s, in general, boys were better in my class...BUT the best students were almost always girls.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:51 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,030,272 times
What is the relationship between intelligence, grades and submissiveness to authority?

I went to Catholic schools so religion was part of the curriculum. I got straight D's my freshman year in high school. It required no intelligence just hours copying religious drivel from the course book. I got straight A's in math and sciences.

I was not impressed by our valedictorian and salutatorian, I used to kick their asses at chess. But they were the kinds of kids who would do what they were told, no matter what. I only got C's in history. I figure it was nothing but propaganda anyway.

So you need to evaluate what kind of kids you want to reward and if grades tell you the whole story.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-31-2019 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: removed the political comment to prevent thread hi-jacking

Old 05-31-2019, 12:05 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,714,977 times
I believe many scholarships are biased in favor of girls. The criteria being judged play to stereotypical girl strengths. My daughter got several scholarships the our son would not. Several were explicitly for girls such as females in STEM. Others, where the essay is a strong part, also tend to favor girls strengths in creative writing. Whereas boys tend to be more straight forward and fact based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or