U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 07:51 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,948,812 times

Advertisements

There is no favoritism going on folks. I teach high school freshman. 130 15 year old male and female students a day. 15 year old boys have become more and more bizarre with each passing year to the point where they are almost regressing in their maturity while the female students are progressing beyond where they ever where.

The vast majority of our junior marshals (juniors who help with graduation, top 15 kids in their class) are female. It's not a gender biased thing folks. Go teach high school freshman for a day, you'll see what I'm getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 08:13 PM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
So boys and girls develop over time differently, eh?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:35 PM

6,839 posts, read 3,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I really disagree with this. Most fantasy books were written by guys. RR Martin, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, etc. My sons are both good writers, totally into tech stuff and not a bit interested in sports. Their friends share similar interests. My husband is an engineer and an excellent writer, better than me because he is precise in his language, and will over-describe something to make sure he gets his point across.

And back to the OP - For years and years, girls were taught that it's better to be pretty than smart. Thank goodness my generation started reversing that trend. I think boys just mature later and by the time they realize the importance of grades, it's too late to catch up. Just a theory.
I believe we are actually saying the same thing but reaching different conclusions. Boys tend to write as you describe your husband. Which isn't the style of writing that scholarship committees and college admissions want. If they ask what color is the sky, they don't want an engineer's answer; they want a story that clicks all the right buttons for what they feel is a good choice.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:55 AM

71 posts, read 21,142 times
I think it all begins at home.

Boys more or less raise themselves within guidelines (e.g., "don't bother me unless that is real blood"), while girls are nurtured (i.e., encouraged). When they get to high school, it continues.

I think parents need to have talks with their children, both boys and girls, at certain ages and life stages to "explain the facts". For example, before they start high school, the talk about "the grades you get in high school will affect which college you attend and how much scholarship money you will get."

Instead, most parents abdicate their responsibilities.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:40 AM

5,191 posts, read 4,885,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
For the past 10 years or so, I was usually the person assigned to present our Kiwanis Club scholarships on senior recognition day. The accomplishments of the students receiving the millions of $ of scholarships is remarkable. However something else stands out:

90% or more of the valedictorians/top ten students are female. Not in one instance but every year, year after year. About 70% of the scholarship recipients are female. Again not in one instance but year after year.

This is not unique to our community. Other clubs with scholarships - their presenters have told me the same thing is true at their schools.

Almost all of the colleges our kids have attended or considered were majority female students. Some were as high as 65%. Outside of hard sciences, many graduate schools are 80 - 100 % women.

Men are not dumber than women. It should be more even. We must be doing something wrong in our education system or the way we raise kids.
In the specific case of the scholarship, I have 2 other theories:

1. You mentioned that the students were attending or considering schools that were mostly female. I wonder if perhaps women are more likely to choose overpriced, liberal arts colleges, while men are more likely to choose relatively affordable state schools, so perhaps applying for the scholarship is more important for women?

2. Perhaps boys are used to not being rewarded for their efforts, and just assume, whether rightly or wrongly, that they don't have a chance at getting the scholarship, so they just don't bother. I remember how frustrating it was in elementary school seeing girls win every award, every solo in chorus or band, and then in middle school and high school, seeing math and science teachers obsessed with encouraging girls, while making it clear that they don't care about boys.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:50 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Boys tend to write as you describe your husband. Which isn't the style of writing that scholarship committees and college admissions want. If they ask what color is the sky, they don't want an engineer's answer; they want a story that clicks all the right buttons for what they feel is a good choice.
Yeah, education is subjective and all that. It has been that way for a long time.

What you feel is a good answer is not what I feel is a good answer. So, oh well.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 AM

462 posts, read 106,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I believe we are actually saying the same thing but reaching different conclusions. Boys tend to write as you describe your husband. Which isn't the style of writing that scholarship committees and college admissions want. If they ask what color is the sky, they don't want an engineer's answer; they want a story that clicks all the right buttons for what they feel is a good choice.
I know what you mean. Retired engineer here.
Tell me to write a "How To" guide and I could give you detailed step by step instructions going on for as many pages as it takes.
Tell me to write about "How I spent my summer vacation" and I'd be struggling after "I went to the beach".

I used to dread the essay parts of any of these standardized tests racking my brain on how to embellish my thoughts on paper to meet the required word count.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
I believe the answer is what is going on in society and nature.

Society: people are not getting married as soon as they get out of school like they used to. Lots of factors here. No more draft, no deferments required. Birth control for women, less responsibility for the men. Then there is...

Nature: just before they enter high school the women get a wake up call from Mother Nature about possibly future responsibilities involving babies. And they get a monthly reminder of that wake up call.

Then there is the call of sports for the men. Yeah, there are sports for women, but can they dream about going pro, like men do? Not near as much. Men have more distractions in high school, including girls.

These days, girls are learning early on that they have to be more responsible regarding their own futures.

Not everyone falls into these descriptions, but a majority probably do.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
K-12, generalizing obviously, in The US is heavily biased in favor of female students. Girls are actively courted, told how great they are, supported directly and indirectly far more than boys. Boys are told to sit down, shut up, don't squirm.
That was very much my experience too.

Quote:
High IQ K-12 washout students are far more likely to be boys etc. Clearly more is at play.

One of my wife's friends is a professor who works with teachers all the time on advanced certs. and teaching masters programs.........the line about all this is more or less, "US schooling was designed by women, implemented by women, run by women, taught by women so it no surprise that the result favors girls."
Another idea is that boys from an early age see the system being run by women and designed for girls, so they decide from an early age that the system is not for them.

I don't even necessarily think that this is an intentional conspiracy. I just think that female teachers will naturally better understand the needs of girls rather than boys.

Another thing that comes to mind is, in my 7th grade English class, according to my parents, at meet the teacher night, the teacher was bragging about how she intentionally chooses books that boys hate. But I remember she mentioned in class that she eliminated a few books that girls did not like. Again, that is going to teach boys that the system is not designed for them, and it's going to teach boys that literature is not for them.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
From my observations of the last few years (my last two graduated last June), scholarships do not go searching for the worthiest candidates, like some kind of micro MacArthur grants. They aren't even awarded based on nominations (from teachers or whatever). They're a lottery entered by the students who fill out applications and, often, write an essay or some equivalent. So the bias is going to go towards the small percentage of the student population that is qualified for the awards (or at least think they are)... and very good at the application process.

I am not surprised that this group is mostly female, as it's no secret that girls get their Shatner together well ahead of most boys. So they get the scholarship list from the counselor's office and work it like a hot-contacts list. Many of the smaller awards may only get three or four applicants, making the odds high. Guys are still... winging it.
Again, could that be because boys are not rewarded for their efforts, so they assume that they won't have a chance at the scholarship and don't try, not knowing that it's decided by a random lottery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or