Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 01:57 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I believe we are actually saying the same thing but reaching different conclusions. Boys tend to write as you describe your husband. Which isn't the style of writing that scholarship committees and college admissions want. If they ask what color is the sky, they don't want an engineer's answer; they want a story that clicks all the right buttons for what they feel is a good choice.
LOL, I think my reply kind of argued it both ways. My husband, typical guy, writes in an engineer style. Fantasy writers, however, are often men and their imaginations are amazing. Really the only fantasy woman writer I can think of is JK Rowling. As I mentioned, both of my sons are good writers and both are in tech fields. My one son actually majored in English.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 02:06 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Of course, you have probably not been in a classroom full of 6 year olds in a long time. The kids do NOT sit still for 7 hours. First grade now includes learning stations that the children get up and go to for at least part of the day. Kids now also move from room to room for specials (art, library, gym, music) Note that gym is not being eliminated for most elementary schools - that tends to happen in middle school - not good, but not something you see with 6 year olds. Often the teacher may be working with a small group on something and the rest of the children are moving about the stations. Also, usually these classes do have a short recess before or after lunch. Circle times are not sitting still. Often the teacher will have the children getting up and singing or dancing.

https://brownbagteacher.com/1st-grad...e-day-in-life/

https://www.tunstallsteachingtidbits...?cn-reloaded=1

https://youtu.be/auCc_BTmuFc

https://youtu.be/MPrf6qFwMuo

It was much more likely to be sitting for 7 hours when I went to school in the 1950s.
Excellent point. Kids really do move around a whole bunch in school. Until middle school there are pull outs for multiple students in the school district I'm in. Pull outs for reading help, math help, gifted, speech therapy, etc. I've been in classrooms where after 15 minutes the teacher will have the kids doing a jumping wiggling exercise to wake them up. I've seen classes that have kids that have attention problems where there are bouncy balls for chairs. There are also few classrooms with rows of seats any more either. It's a new world for school kids and change seems to have happened rapidly.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:09 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Of course, you have probably not been in a classroom full of 6 year olds in a long time. The kids do NOT sit still for 7 hours. First grade now includes learning stations that the children get up and go to for at least part of the day. Kids now also move from room to room for specials (art, library, gym, music) Note that gym is not being eliminated for most elementary schools - that tends to happen in middle school - not good, but not something you see with 6 year olds. Often the teacher may be working with a small group on something and the rest of the children are moving about the stations. Also, usually these classes do have a short recess before or after lunch. Circle times are not sitting still. Often the teacher will have the children getting up and singing or dancing.

https://brownbagteacher.com/1st-grad...e-day-in-life/

https://www.tunstallsteachingtidbits...?cn-reloaded=1

https://youtu.be/auCc_BTmuFc

https://youtu.be/MPrf6qFwMuo

It was much more likely to be sitting for 7 hours when I went to school in the 1950s.
I toured a public school and got the talk about classes. The 1 day a week that kids had gym? They were not allowed recess. And they had 25 minutes for lunch / recess. elementary school. Public school.

They had computer stations. Not singing and dancing.

Not sure what schools you are talking about. But definitely not the public schools in my area.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I toured a public school and got the talk about classes. The 1 day a week that kids had gym? They were not allowed recess. And they had 25 minutes for lunch / recess. elementary school. Public school.

They had computer stations. Not singing and dancing.

Not sure what schools you are talking about. But definitely not the public schools in my area.
What grades were you talking about? I am talking about k-3 basically (sometimes, 4th as well). I will tell you this was the case in the elementary schools my grandkids went to in Texas. Also, did or did not the kids move around in class. My grandchildren did. You are correct that recess is pretty short, but it is still recess. And our kids had recess every day. It was not deleted on days when they had gym because it was part of the lunch break (teachers were at lunch during that time, so the kids did recess and lunch). They had computers as well, but they also had circle time -teacher read a story, kids moved and were encouraged to jump around for part of that time. Did the kids move from one classroom to another for specials? Mine did.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:33 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's the school environment that has corrupted boys ability to learn.

Making a 6 year old boy sit still for 7 hours (no gym or recess) without an outlet for energy is CRUEL.
Could also be the length of time in school.
When I went to school it was 9-3 with 1 hour for lunch.
That was back in the dark ages of the 70's.

Also maybe academics is starting too early with many not developmentally ready.
Kindergarten is now full day with academics..a far cry from when I went..1/2 day with more leaning towards learning social skills needed for first grade ..being quiet, standing in line, etc.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
An eight-year old who counts money and stacks up coins by diameter, who puts the bills in his wallet in value order, each bill face by face. He also does Lego.

He just proposed me a deal: he reads three books this month for enough money to buy another Hatchimal.

But that's not really the point that you should be following.
Just clarifying. It's important to your point, because if he were in high school, like the other one, or middle school, then he'd be behind.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:55 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I’m fine with understanding that males & females are differently smart. We probably would never have evolved as a species if that were not true.

The thing is, is that by the point in time the OP mentioned, Senior Recognition night; it’s not about who was better, smarter, had more support, a higher GPA, or anything like that.

It’s about who is being selected. Who is given the advantage that might make the difference between a college education or not? At my twins awards night, there were several awards where only female students were eligible. And an award for only Latina females.

It’s not okay to try to make up for past discrimination by discriminating. It’s hypocritical.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
There is no favoritism going on folks. I teach high school freshman. 130 15 year old male and female students a day. 15 year old boys have become more and more bizarre with each passing year to the point where they are almost regressing in their maturity while the female students are progressing beyond where they ever where.

The vast majority of our junior marshals (juniors who help with graduation, top 15 kids in their class) are female. It's not a gender biased thing folks. Go teach high school freshman for a day, you'll see what I'm getting at.
Over summer break, between their 8th grade & freshman year; my girls received a scholarship for & participated in an activity that was offered through their school district called Tech Chic. Only for girls.

Between their freshman & sophomore year, over summer break; my girls received a scholarship for & participated in 'Girls STEM', hosted by UCCS. Obviously, only for females.

I do agree about the behavior of 15-year-old boys; I have one of those now & have had, since 1999; 6 of them during various years between 1999 & today & their issues (& those of their peers) have truly become more bizarre over these last 20 years.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:03 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Perhaps females SHOULD get more scholarships, because they will likely earn lower salaries that could be used to pay potential student debt.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:19 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Back to Coldjensen's original post, I have noticed the same thing anecdotally. My wife works as a Special Ed Aide in elementary classrooms and she is distraught by the blatant favortism some elementary teachers show female students and the obvious scorn shown male students.

We have two sons now approaching 40 and the situation was the same 25+ years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education