U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:28 PM

986 posts, read 526,804 times

Advertisements

Its going to depend a lot on your state... Just keep in mind that teaching is a job, it takes work... it's not a hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 03:29 PM

2,429 posts, read 1,783,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hi all.
Hey I’m going to retire in less than 3 years.
My retirement money is better than good.
I just don’t want to be a “couch potato” so I want to do things.

I have a at least a good 6 or so projects to finish.
They are old Harley’s, hot rods and stuff like that.

I also want to do the boating/fishing thing.

I kinda thought being a part time shop teacher would be cool an keep me busy.

I currently have a Class A General Engineering license
A Class B General Building License.
An electrical license.
A plumbing license and currently have 14 different pipe welding certificates that are up to date.
I used to be a union instructor.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Andy.
Give it a shot, look into Career Technical Education programs (CTE) in your state. The only drawback is that it's usually not a part time gig, they are full time teaching positions (with summers off).

Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 AM

1,105 posts, read 822,270 times
I have a retired friend who teaches a few classes regularly at a local college. It gets him out of the house and it gets him a little pin money.

Yes by all means do it.

Of note I was lucky enough to get a pt job at a local golf course a few years back. I had to keep asking. Eventually they offered me the weird hours but I took it. Got me out, free golf, great fun.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 AM

13,287 posts, read 17,810,012 times
Andy - get a basic resume together, add every certification and license with full title/organization/number/expiration. Trade schools and community colleges requirements often differ from for-profit schools. Google to find out what is in your area, call the program director of programs you are interested in teaching. Adjunct is generally a good start.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:14 AM

1,854 posts, read 744,470 times
Sounds great, OP. Since you've been an instructor, you already have experience. Good for you for wanting to keep busy.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:23 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,768,317 times
I would agree with an above poster - look into teaching community education classes with one of your area community colleges. If you want there to be high school aged students in the classes - encourage the community college administration to look into that. They should be the ones to do the annoying bureaucratic work with the school districts for you.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,264,824 times
I will also concur with the others who have suggested the community college idea.

When I was still in manufacturing operations management, I taught a class at a community college in 8-D corrective action and came back for a 2nd semester to teach one on CNC machining. It was a great experience and the students were fun because they wanted to learn. I didn't need a teaching certificate (which I don't have), just needed industry experience and verifiable education/certification in the courses I was teaching.

It was just a fill-in for an instructor who was out but it is something that I also will consider doing when I retire I would say to go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or