Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
These lists are the reason I don't donate to school-organized supply drives. Those supply shortages are SELF-INDUCED. By the very teachers and/or schools that make those lists. I mean, really, who in the world needs 40 Ticonderoga pencils per kid, no other brands allowed? (Not on this list, but on others.) The OP's list actually looks semi-reasonable by today's standards. I've seen a lot worse; like CFL light bulbs. Which contain mercury! (For schools to push their liberal anti-incandescent agenda, presumably.)

It seems like schools and/or teachers ramp up supply list to ridiculous quantities, so that they can get kickbacks from the manufacturers. Why else would supply lists be so ridiculous? And obviously, they don't care who spends money---the parents or the teachers---as long as the items get bought. If what I'm saying is true, they need to be named and shamed.

30 years ago, this was the lower elementary school supply list I recall.
---------------------------------
Students are responsible for having the following items ready for use at all times.
* 1 pen, any dark color except red
* 2 pencils, sharpened
* 4 notebooks, perforated pages, wide-ruled, in different colors or labeled with subject
* 4 folders with pockets, in different colors or labeled with subject
* index cards, 3" x 5"
* colored pencils (not every day, I will notify)
* blank white paper (not every day, I will notify)
* gym clothes (Tuesday and Thursday only)
* other supplies as needed (occasionally, I will notify)
---------------------------------
THAT'S IT!

The only supply drives I donate to are those organized by churches, and I'm an atheist. That is, those that give supplies directly to the families. It's not the parents' or kids' fault that they have to buy extra supplies, so their schools and/or teachers can get kickbacks from Ticonderoga et al.
I wonder about the pencil thing also. It was basically a pencil a week they required.

But the kids would also play some break the pencil game too - so that was where they were going.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:24 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
You'd be surprised how many kids never bring in any of the supplies on the list. I volunteer in my Grandson's class and I see what happens. When his dad buys his son's school supplies he gets two of everything on the list to help out. Fortunately this is for the 2nd grade so he doesn't have to buy expensive calculators!

But the same thing happens with field trips; out of a class of 29 kids there are always 4-5 kids who don't bring in the $6 or $8 fee for the field trip. You can't force parents to pay but you don't want these kids singled out and made to sit in the school office during the field trip either so the parents who can afford it pay for those kids.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:49 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No one goes through 40 pencils in two weeks, unless he just loses his pencil case.

I write quite a bit, with a pencil every day, making notes and lists and completing study guides, and I have this pencil I got at a fundraiser about 4 months ago. It's about 1/2 gone, and the eraser is mostly gone.
Obviously "someone" does when kids start the first day of school all loaded up and can't find a one by the Monday after Labor Day.

Kids will start writing something in one color ink, take it with them to finish, and then turn it in with two more ink colors the next day. Why? Because they lost the pen they started with between your class and finishing the assignment at home.

A lot of you complain about the various binders (keeping in mind that I, in 30+ years, never required a specific subject only one despite being reprimanded for it a time or six. There was an exception which follows) and believe it or not there is a very distinct reason for it and that reason even breaks down to pertaining to boys way more than girls.

That reason is organizational skills, something that boys seem to have, and have had pretty much forever, problems with. That's the reason for "green notebooks for English", specific headings on papers that are common across all the classes:
Clara C
English 7A
Period 2
Mr. TNFF
November 12, 2019

Those organizational things are really common for upper Elementary (5//6) and carry into Middle/Junior High.

Think back to school, who was the most disorganized in almost every class and had trouble finding damn near anything including their ass? Boys or girls? That's why so many of the " school" (meaning actual classroom, not hygiene or janitorial supplies) stuff is so specific. Teaching organizational skills.

And before anyone says "they never did that when I was going to school". Yeah, they did. I'm 65 years old and remember having a separate notebook for every class (3 inch, 3 ring notebook, fabric covered cardboard) in Junior High. Had to have one for Gym and Shop too.

Oh, my exception I mentioned. The two years at the beginning of my career when I taught Middle School. Where every objective had to include a behavioral component addressing..................organizational skills. That was every day of 35 years ago.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-26-2019 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Changed non to not in front of hygiene

Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Obviously "someone" does when kids start the first day of school all loaded up and can't find a one by the Monday after Labor Day.

Kids will start writing something in one color ink, take it with them to finish, and then turn it in with two more ink colors the next day. Why? Because they lost the pen they started with between your class and finishing the assignment at home.

A lot of you complain about the various binders (keeping in mind that I, in 30+ years, never required a specific subject only one despite being reprimanded for it a time or six. There was an exception which follows) and believe it or not there is a very distinct reason for it and that reason even breaks down to pertaining to boys way more than girls.

That reason is organizational skills, something that boys seem to have, and have had pretty much forever, problems with. That's the reason for "green notebooks for English", specific headings on papers that are common across all the classes:
Clara C
English 7A
Period 2
Mr. TNFF
November 12, 2019

Those organizational things are really common for upper Elementary (5//6) and carry into Middle/Junior High.

Think back to school, who was the most disorganized in almost every class and had trouble finding damn near anything including their ass? Boys or girls? That's why so many of the " school" (meaning actual classroom, non hygiene or janitorial supplies) stuff is so specific. Teaching organizational skills.

And before anyone says "they never did that when I was going to school". Yeah, they did. I'm 65 years old and remember having a separate notebook for every class (3 inch, 3 ring notebook, fabric covered cardboard) in Junior High. Had to have one for Gym and Shop too.

Oh, my exception I mentioned. The two years at the beginning of my career when I taught Middle School. Where every objective had to include a behavioral component addressing..................organizational skills. That was every day of 35 years ago.
My kids are in their late 20's, and it really was different for them than it was for me, who went to school in the 70's. You had a choice of how you wanted to organize your stuff. You could get a big binder (I remember denim was really popular, with a cool jeans pocket on the front for supplies) or you could get paper folders with pockets and brads, whatever you wanted. However you did it. Figure it out. Of course, there were those who didn't figure it out, and they didn't get good grades.

I do remember one teacher, middle school, who'd make you turn in your folder and you were expected to have all the stuff in it, organized. That was one teacher.

My kids had to start the first day of high school classes with binders, and dividers. You had to create a section for class notes, quizzes, handouts, tests, etc. and make the little divider labels. This is HIGH SCHOOL! Talk about overbearing helicoptering. The thing is, they never actually followed that organizational model. They'd just stuff things in the pockets of the binders, but the teacher would occasionally check and you got a daily grade if you were keeping up with the organization. Unbelievable, really.

While I'm ranting, does everyone remember having to write a research paper in high school, where you were forced to use index cards, one card per fact you intended to use, and then you would arrange the "facts" in the index card order, and write your paper because "that's how you will do research papers in college". Um, no. That's not at ALL how you do research papers. And I wrote a LOT of them, and did well. Never used an index card again to compose a paper,
after being forced to in high school.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:12 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A coworker was discussing how much school supplies she had to buy this year for middle school. Here's the list for that school:

1) 6 Pocket folders with clasp
2) 3 boxes Kleenex - We used to ask for ONE box, and we never used them all.
3) 2 rolls paper towels
4) 1 hand sanitizer - Hand sanitizer, especially if it has triclosan, is a BAD idea. See link below.
5) 1 container Clorox wipes - Not a good idea. Schools should teach and apply good science, but unfortunately are instead motivated by fear. See link below.
6) Colored pencils - Yes.
7) #2 pencils - Pencils, yes, but we never specified #2. At standardized testing time, we required them to use our pencils.
8) Wide ruled notebook paper - Paper is one of the main things families should provide.
9) 2 Pencil Pouches
10) Headphones/earbuds - Ha! This would have been on our "Don't bring" list. Times have changed.
11) 2 inch 3 ring binder
12) 3 1.5 inch 3 ring binders
13) one 1 inch 3 ring binder
14) graph paper - Yes.
15) spiral notebook - The years I required these, I provided them so everyone would have the same kind. They can be very cheap during back-to-school sales.
16) 2 5 pack dividers
17) Red ink pens - We required green. Teachers used red; students used green. That way you could tell who wrote what.
18) 3 large black dry erase markers
19) TI34 calculator
20) Pack of highlighters - I hate highlighters. Hilighted text is hard for me to read. Therefore I assume that highlighters will not be helpful to all students. While I might encourage middle-schoolers to explore different study methods, I wouldn't insist on this one.
21) Lots of page protectors - With all those folders, why are these necessary?

This was the general list. Some of the teachers specified colors for highlighters and specific brands of composition books.

There are several reasons for lists like these.

First, schools don't provide everything. Teachers do frequently buy supplies with their own money, but they have hopes that they can get the families to provide (as they should). This explains the paper and pencils. (No blue/black pens required? No erasers?)

Second, schools sometimes want one supply list, not many. So if one teacher wants the markers, it goes on the list. Another teacher might rarely use them.

Third, teachers can be very frustrated by disorganized students. Numbers 1, 9, 11, 12, 13, 16, and 21 are either for specific projects or are an attempt to get kids organized. If requiring one notebook doesn't get everyone organized, let's require two. If that doesn't help, let's require folders. Lots and lots of folders. Some kids still are disorganized? We must have clasps on those folders. Problem is, it doesn't work. Some kids will do well with a folder for each class. Other students will find it impossible to keep the right paper in the right folder. Having more folders just makes it worse. (Of course, it could be that these folders are not all in use at the same time. Maybe they are expected to wear out, and the others are replacements.) Regarding special projects, No, the notebooks aren't necessary. But that's how some teacher wants it done.

Fourth, unfortunately, is ignorance. Hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes shouldn't be on the list. Here's why: https://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2015/...nfecting-wipes

Old 07-26-2019, 12:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Should those children, in addition to being behind the eight ball because they have negligent parents, also be shamed by having to use a crayon (assuming they have one of those) while everyone else uses a highlighter? Or do I just not allow anyone to use highlighters or crayons?

This shame can be avoided by not making highlighers the preferred method. Allow kids to highlight or to underline in pencil, or crayon if they prefer. Some people actually prefer the pencil.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
There are several reasons for lists like these.

First, schools don't provide everything. Teachers do frequently buy supplies with their own money, but they have hopes that they can get the families to provide (as they should). This explains the paper and pencils. (No blue/black pens required? No erasers?)

Second, schools sometimes want one supply list, not many. So if one teacher wants the markers, it goes on the list. Another teacher might rarely use them.

Third, teachers can be very frustrated by disorganized students. Numbers 1, 9, 11, 12, 13, 16, and 21 are either for specific projects or are an attempt to get kids organized. If requiring one notebook doesn't get everyone organized, let's require two. If that doesn't help, let's require folders. Lots and lots of folders. Some kids still are disorganized? We must have clasps on those folders. Problem is, it doesn't work. Some kids will do well with a folder for each class. Other students will find it impossible to keep the right paper in the right folder. Having more folders just makes it worse. (Of course, it could be that these folders are not all in use at the same time. Maybe they are expected to wear out, and the others are replacements.) Regarding special projects, No, the notebooks aren't necessary. But that's how some teacher wants it done.

Fourth, unfortunately, is ignorance. Hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes shouldn't be on the list. Here's why: https://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2015/...nfecting-wipes
Not impressed with your link. You should try a more professional source. Here's one for hand sanitizers: https://www.pharmacytimes.com/public...and-sanitizers

There is nothing wrong with Clorox wipes. They're quick and efficient for cleaning off desks and other surfaces in a classroom. The CDC page about them is down, unfortunately.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:04 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
This shame can be avoided by not making highlighers the preferred method. Allow kids to highlight or to underline in pencil, or crayon if they prefer. Some people actually prefer the pencil.
I don't get the highlighting thing- in fact, I hate it. Grade school: the books belonged to the school. You wrote in them or did anything else to deface them other than putting your name inside, you were fined at the end of the year. HS and college: you bought your books at the beginning of the year. (HS was a private school with a name beginning with "St.") If your book was in good condition you might be able to sell it back at the end of the year.

Even now, if I buy a used book I find highlighting very distracting and I can't bear to do it myself. I MIGHT pencil brackets around important sections. That's it.

So- does the use of all these highlighters mean that books are used one year only?

Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I don't get the highlighting thing- in fact, I hate it. Grade school: the books belonged to the school. You wrote in them or did anything else to deface them other than putting your name inside, you were fined at the end of the year. HS and college: you bought your books at the beginning of the year. (HS was a private school with a name beginning with "St.") If your book was in good condition you might be able to sell it back at the end of the year.

Even now, if I buy a used book I find highlighting very distracting and I can't bear to do it myself. I MIGHT pencil brackets around important sections. That's it.

So- does the use of all these highlighters mean that books are used one year only?
Maybe in texts but more often in enrichment handouts, often at teacher direction (" Highlight/underline __________, that's the main thing you need to know") or as the assignment, Read the passage, highlight the main idea and supporting details".

Old 07-26-2019, 01:27 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times
My son had a teacher once who marked down a student's "participation grade" if the student (actually the parent, because these were 9th graders) did not bring in the required amount of supplies to share. We had to bring in 4 rolls of paper towels. I think I bought a 3 pack because there were more sheets total than the comparably priced 2 pack x 2. My son got marked down for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education