Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i agree...but...tell me what someone could do to you with a paddle that could really give you a good reason to go to the ER? i seriously doubt that child NEEDED to go to the ER. i would imagine that parent just wanted some attention.
apparently you never got a paddling by my old gym teacher he could lift you up off the ground!
in all seriousness idk, i wasnt there, ive saw kids do all sorts of things to get attention, or get out of doing something.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:18 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,237 times
i got paddled in first grade for not learning mary had a little lamb on my recorder the night i was supposed to. you know what???? i went home and learned it after that paddling.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
Being that I am trained in martial arts, I hold a certain amount of responsibility to keep my hands to myself (unlike a few who constantly talk about kicking people in the face and beating people up).

However, I do think if I witnessed that, I would act with physical force.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,549 times
First of all, every 'news' story today should be read with a certain amount of skepticism. I would not doubt there is much more to the story. Who knows what else occurred. Second, the Supreme Court has ruled that corporal punishment is not an illegal form of discipline although most school districts in the country choose to disallow its use. In districts where it is used, the Court set very specific guidelines for its use. It must not be used excessively and the offense and developmental level of the child should fit the punishment. If the child was injured because of negligence or violation of policy, the parent has the option to press charges or file a lawsuit. My final point is that one should not use this one incident (out of how many millions of trips to the office each day?) as an indictment against all schools. My kids go to an excellent public school and most Americans, according to annual PDK/Gallup polls, give their local school a grade of A or B, but lower grades for schools elsewhere--where of course really bad things are occurring because that is what they hear and read.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
When I was 16 myself and 2 other classmates went to lunch early and got caught. The punishment was we could stay after school for 5 minutes or 30 min. we chose 5 min. since we would miss bus ride and parents would have to drive in 20 miles and that would not be pretty. But our 5 minutes were 3 hard swings from a paddle with holes drilled in it, I can still feel the pain. It to left welts and bled, but the neat thing is one of classmates told the teacher he would let him hit him 3 more times if he could hit him just once and teacher agreed. Lets put it this way the teacher apologized to us and never paddled anyone again after he went to his knees in agony. That was back in 1974 in Nebraska when there were no rights for kids for anything. My parents still never found out but I followed the rules from then on.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Doing things such as this simply teaches kids that violence is ok, and that if someone does something "wrong" its ok to hurt them. Unacceptable, if that was my kid I would not have let them do this in the first place. They would have had to get through me first, and they would not have made it.
Oh please! I got paddled a couple of times when I was in school and it made me a better person. Clapping your hands and saying "time out" is laughable to some kids, unless they're very timid. I also suspect there is more to this story than what is being told. Maybe the girl had a smart mouth when the teacher told her to put the phone away, who knows.
When I was in elementary school all the kids used to talk about the "electric paddle", and they made sure to avoid getting in trouble or else they'd get it! It wasn't until middle school when we found out that there was no such thing, but that little rumor made many kids behave.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
First of all, every 'news' story today should be read with a certain amount of skepticism. I would not doubt there is much more to the story. Who knows what else occurred. Second, the Supreme Court has ruled that corporal punishment is not an illegal form of discipline although most school districts in the country choose to disallow its use. In districts where it is used, the Court set very specific guidelines for its use. It must not be used excessively and the offense and developmental level of the child should fit the punishment. If the child was injured because of negligence or violation of policy, the parent has the option to press charges or file a lawsuit. My final point is that one should not use this one incident (out of how many millions of trips to the office each day?) as an indictment against all schools. My kids go to an excellent public school and most Americans, according to annual PDK/Gallup polls, give their local school a grade of A or B, but lower grades for schools elsewhere--where of course really bad things are occurring because that is what they hear and read.
Good point. I am a teacher and wouldn't want to use corporal punishment in my classroom. However, I am not against it if a kid who is extremely defiant is sent to the office and it happens there. I knew a teacher who had a student who got paddled in the office and it helped him a lot. Before he was paddled he was extremely defiant toward her and then he got paddled and it was as if he was a new child. I also think the punishment should fit the child. Like, I have some kids who view missing recess and timeouts as punishment, others laugh at the idea. I even have some kids who view receiving a verbal warning as punishment.

I also think that if parents would get off their butt and do something about their child's behavior, then we wouldn't be having this discussion about corporal punishment because it wouldn't be needed. I have some kids who laugh at the idea of me calling their parents because the child is the running the show at home.

I do think that corporal punishment wouldn't be the right punishment for a 15 year old having a cell phone because most schools do allow them. However, I think if she had refused to end her conversation in the classroom, that a more appropriate punishment would have been for her to hand over her cell phone.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:44 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
I do think that corporal punishment wouldn't be the right punishment for a 15 year old having a cell phone because most schools do allow them. However, I think if she had refused to end her conversation in the classroom, that a more appropriate punishment would have been for her to hand over her cell phone.
YOu're right--that's the punishment that would have hurt her the most. And if it happened again they could keep it longer. But--the parents may have been able to sue for that!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Let me see, Mary had a little lamb, but alas the poor lamb was dead, anyway she still took the lamb to school each day between two pieces of bread. Did I get that right? as its been a few decades since I used to say it. Steve

Old 04-26-2008, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 9,134 times
Paddling is unheard of in upstate NY. That principal would be serving time in JAIL!!!!! As a teacher, I could not imagine EVER hitting a child for anything - much less having a cell phone in school. The mother watched? How absurd! I would of beat down that principal as soon as I seen him take out the paddle, much less wait & see how hard he hit my daughter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education