Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM

229 posts, read 1,180,291 times

Advertisements

Is this poor grammar?

"I want to buy a water."
"I'm going to buy a water."

The water refers to me buying a bottle of water. My friend says that its incorrect and he knows it is, just now how to explain why it is.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
The impression I get is that you are going to purchase a single water bottle. I would not pick up on this as being poor grammar.... maybe the correct way to state it would be-- "I want to buy/ I am going to buy some water" because water is considered a plural word....????

Old 05-01-2008, 09:16 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
Is this poor grammar?

"I want to buy a water."

The water refers to me buying a bottle of water. My friend says that its incorrect and he knows it is, just now how to explain why it is.

Anyone?
You are going to buy a water of what? If it is a bottle of water then the proper way to phrase it would be I want to buy a bottle of water. What you imply and what you mean are two different things and I would say that this is poor grammar even though I assumed that I knew what you were talking about.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Is this poor grammar?

"I want to buy a water."

Anyone?
Yes, it is wrong. You have to say "I want to buy a bottle of water." or " I want to buy some water."

Water is an uncountable noun.

English Grammar: Uncountable Nouns (EnglishClub.com)

Learn English - Grammar - Countable and Uncountable nouns

Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
I just get mine out of the spigot.
That way, I don't have to worry about grammer.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 PM

437 posts, read 631,245 times
Quote:
Is this poor grammar?
Yes, it is.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:07 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Actually that's quite odd - because it's quite common for people to say "I'm going to get another beer" but technically it's no different is it? Or "can I have an orange juice please?"

It may well be that technically they're incorrect too, they're just very common expressions.

I agree though - "a water" sounds weird and wrong. How strange...

Old 09-21-2008, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,229 times
Indeed it's quite odd.
But fact is, that the quaintly of uncountable nouns is expressed by the expression "a. ....of......".
(Examples: a bag of sugar, a bottle of oil.) -> a glass of water
Certain quantifiers can be used with uncountable nouns, such as some, any, much, a lot are some examples
of the quantifiers that can be used with uncountable nouns.

Jane Sumerset
EnglishSoftware.org

Last edited by janelove; 09-21-2008 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: the url was showing strange

Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
Quote:
Is this poor grammar?

"I want to buy a water."

Anyone?
I hate when people nit pick at sentences. I wouldn't look at it as a big deal.

If you were writing an English paper, then yes, it is bad grammar.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Is this poor grammar?

"I want to buy a water."

Anyone?
It's acceptable without the "a", as in "I want to buy water." or "I am going to buy water." I think that it's because "water" in itself may or may not be containerized, as in coming out of a fountain, river, ocean, whereas beer or orange juice comes in a container. "I'm going to get a beer" is different from "I"m going to get beer". The latter seems to refer more to procuring at a farther distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education