Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2020, 01:56 PM

724 posts, read 503,505 times

Advertisements

I imagine the term " entertainer type educational hack " may come off as unfamiliar to many , so I'll be relaying an anecdotal story to elaborate on what I mean by said term .

So back when I attended elementary school , an assembly type presentation was given to us by a fellow who went by the name of " Summer Dog " regarding the subjects of outer space and underwater plant/animal life ...

It was all very cheesy and childish , what with the fellow wearing silly outfits and doing/saying silly things , but all in all good fun for kids our age and my intent isn't to disparage these sorts of educational practices by creating this thread ( FWIW ) , it's just that now that I think back on it a major question has entered my mind .

Which is how do people who give these sorts of presentations to little kids in elementary school get the qualifications they need in order to get these sorts of gigs ? I mean are they ( typically ) teachers themselves or can a person with no special educational credentials get a gig like this if they're convincing enough ?

P.S. I also don't mean to come off as disparaging via my use of the term " hack " , it's just that I honestly can't think of a better term to describe the sort of occupation I'm describing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 03:14 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
It probably could a combination of things or not, like maybe the person had a teaching and science background, or maybe a teaching and theater background, etc.

Did you get the impression these people were some sort of professionals? Maybe they were just volunteering and retired or a stay-at-home husband or wife doing it for fun in their down time?

Old 10-11-2020, 03:18 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
One way is to volunteer at a local science education center. As a volunteer you learn to give these types of presentations. Our local STEM center gets invited all the time to various schools. Each presenter has their own style. Some are more formal and better suited to high school while others can pull off the "herr doktor professor" fun act which can connect with some groups of younger kids.

In our center, most started off as scientists and engineers in real life and become volunteer presenters to pass along their experience to the next generation. A few were teachers, but most weren't.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:54 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Remember Professor Proton from the Big Bang Theory? He ended up doing kiddie shows.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:17 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
It's called edutainment. From what I've seen, they're people who were really interested in a subject and like entertaining. At my kids elementary school, one grade would get an assemby every year from "The Bee Man" and it was a bee keeper who explained about bees in a fun way. Our local library has someone come in once a year acting as a historical figure and doing a presentation, in character, about that persons life and that period of history. I know one of those people was a retired history teacher. I would guess they start out as unpaid or paid a very small stipend until they become popular and can charge more.

Sort of like the star of a cooking show - they are always people that have a pretty deep knowledge of their specialty and just share it so you want to know more. I think of the best teachers as also good entertainers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:44 AM

Yup edutainment's the word I should have used ...

And yes now that I think of it , many people who put on such shows are probably volunteers , though IIRC that fellow who went by the name of " Summer Dog " actually had his own minivan with his name on it decked out in a multicolored pattern , which makes me think he may have earned some money doing this .

Anyways thanks for all the answers y'all !

Old 10-13-2020, 09:45 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yup edutainment's the word I should have used ...

And yes now that I think of it , many people who put on such shows are probably volunteers , though IIRC that fellow who went by the name of " Summer Dog " actually had his own minivan with his name on it decked out in a multicolored pattern , which makes me think he may have earned some money doing this .

Anyways thanks for all the answers y'all !
You can get paid for that sort of thing, if you're good enough, and it sounds like "Summer Dog" was a professional, or did it as a side gig. Once you have your schtick worked out, you can contact the schools and let them know what you have to offer, and your fee. They do pay for special presentations. Those can be to the entire student body, or specialized presentations for certain classes (science, geography/culture, history, whatever).

Old 10-17-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can get paid for that sort of thing, if you're good enough, and it sounds like "Summer Dog" was a professional, or did it as a side gig. Once you have your schtick worked out, you can contact the schools and let them know what you have to offer, and your fee. They do pay for special presentations. Those can be to the entire student body, or specialized presentations for certain classes (science, geography/culture, history, whatever).

I don't plan on being an " edutainer " , since I'm ( unfortunately ) not talented enough , but recalling this episode piqued my interest about the subject enough to create this thread .

Thanks for your input by the way !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education