U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:02 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,599,199 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about when I went to high school in the 70s and how my daughter's high school is today. We had it pretty good when it came to "the rules"! Although they have it better in most other ways (food, facilities, programs)

1. Smoking cigarettes. Was allowed outside my high school by one door. The school had a big urn there for butts and ashes. Teachers also smoked there. At my daughter's school, if you even get caught with cigarettes, you will get a minimum 5 day suspension.
2. Fighting. We would get a 1 to 3 day suspension- depending on who the Principal thought started the fight (usually obvious). At her school it is a 10 day suspension no matter who started it.
3. Drugs. Having pot in school would get it flushed down the toilet and a 2 day suspension. At her school, it is immediate expulsion and referral to court/police. Even having non prescription drugs like Asprin or caffine will get you suspended.
4. Weapons. We could carry pocket knives and, if you brought your lunch, you could carry a knife with it to use. At her school, it would be either expulsion or a very long suspension. They kicked out a and honour student a few years ago because her "tweety bird" chain was too long!
CNN.com - Georgia school lifts suspension of girl with Tweety bird 'weapon' - September 29, 2000
5. They are much more strict about what you can wear. We used to wear shorts, tee shirts with marijuana plants on them, Army jackets with patches all over them. They do not allow any of that now.
6. Lunch. Our lunch period was ours to do with what we wanted. This was true even in elementary school. You could stay, go home, hang out across the street at Hardees, go play pinball at Mr Magoos or do what you wanted. Now they cannot leave campus at all during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 PM

61 posts, read 254,291 times
Mine was the same. I graduated late 80's. I always had Advil on me. I also had a pocket knife (can't think what they call it-the one with all the files etc.) in middle school and I'm a girl. I don't think I took it to high school. It didn't mean I was a bad kid or a trouble kid. It was probably pretty common place where I grew up. We left high school and drove to our house or restaurant. Our keychains were huge with tons of things dangling from it. We wore all sorts of stuff. And we all, for the most part, were really good kids.

It is sad. I can't imagine what it will be twenty years from now.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 PM

10,099 posts, read 11,320,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nillawafer View Post
Mine was the same. I graduated late 80's. I always had Advil on me. I also had a pocket knife (can't think what they call it-the one with all the files etc.) in middle school and I'm a girl.
Swiss Army knife. I had one also (class of '83) and I was a little goody two shoes.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:57 PM

539 posts, read 1,226,042 times
My nephews tell me that their school doesn't even have recess or P.E. anymore. P.E. maybe... but recess?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
I went to HS in the late 60s. My daughters graduated from HS in 2002 and 2005.
1. We were not allowed to smoke. I honestly don't know what happened if you were caught; I didn't do it. Smoking is not allowed now in any school in our district, by anyone, including teachers. (Teachers did smoke at school back in my day; I saw them in the lounge occasionally.)
2. Fights were frequent. I don't know what the penalty was. My daughters didn't get into any fights. I have no idea what the penalty is now.
3. Marijuana had not become popular yet (was just starting to gain popularity when I was in college). Alcohol was a problem, but not used at school. As far as I know, we could carry anything in our purses, pockets, etc. A bunch of cheerleaders at my daughers' school were caught doing cocaine in the bathroom. Many were suspended. One transferred to a different school. Kids show up at football and basketball games drunk. Kids aren't supposed to carry meds, but lots do. There was an ecstacy (sp?) death at my kids' school. The sale went down in my daughter's math class.
4. As far as I know, no restrictions. Restricted now.
5. We had a fairly strict dress code. Girls wore skirts, usually to mid-knee. A few years later, when skirts got really short, pants were allowed. I'd guess it was many years before shorts were ok for girls or guys. T-shirts had to have writing on them (no underwear, in other words). My brother did show up one day in a T-shirt that said "Budweiser Breakfast of Champions". He was not sent home. Virtually no dress code. Only clothes that advertise drugs, tobacco or alcohol are not allowed. Short shorts, guys' droopy pants, crop tops, spaghetti straps, all OK. When my younger DD was a senior, the "s l u t" look (short top, low-cut jeans) was quite popular and acceptable.
6. We had a closed lunch period (it was only 1/2 hr. anyway, not long enough to get anywhere and buy a lunch). 45 min. lunch, juniors and seniors can get off-campus pass if grades are high enough (2.5 or >) and parents sign. Freshmen and sophomores sometimes ride in trunks of upperclassmens' cars off-campus.

What goes around comes around.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:47 PM

25,170 posts, read 34,023,469 times
You are LUCKY.

I hated school growing up. Felt trapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was thinking about when I went to high school in the 70s and how my daughter's high school is today. We had it pretty good when it came to "the rules"! Although they have it better in most other ways (food, facilities, programs)

1. Smoking cigarettes. Was allowed outside my high school by one door. The school had a big urn there for butts and ashes. Teachers also smoked there. At my daughter's school, if you even get caught with cigarettes, you will get a minimum 5 day suspension.
2. Fighting. We would get a 1 to 3 day suspension- depending on who the Principal thought started the fight (usually obvious). At her school it is a 10 day suspension no matter who started it.
3. Drugs. Having pot in school would get it flushed down the toilet and a 2 day suspension. At her school, it is immediate expulsion and referral to court/police. Even having non prescription drugs like Asprin or caffine will get you suspended.
4. Weapons. We could carry pocket knives and, if you brought your lunch, you could carry a knife with it to use. At her school, it would be either expulsion or a very long suspension. They kicked out a and honour student a few years ago because her "tweety bird" chain was too long!
CNN.com - Georgia school lifts suspension of girl with Tweety bird 'weapon' - September 29, 2000
5. They are much more strict about what you can wear. We used to wear shorts, tee shirts with marijuana plants on them, Army jackets with patches all over them. They do not allow any of that now.
6. Lunch. Our lunch period was ours to do with what we wanted. This was true even in elementary school. You could stay, go home, hang out across the street at Hardees, go play pinball at Mr Magoos or do what you wanted. Now they cannot leave campus at all during the day.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 PM

25,170 posts, read 34,023,469 times
Good. They are lucky. P.E. was horrible back in the day. Everybody was rude and nasty. Nobody wanted to participate. Everybody made fun of me if I wasn't good at a certain sport. It was a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
My nephews tell me that their school doesn't even have recess or P.E. anymore. P.E. maybe... but recess?

Old 05-04-2008, 11:57 PM

The high school kids can arrange a free period which is the same principle as recess. My high school nor my kids' hs had an official "recess".

Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,493,982 times
Oh, LOL, but how times change.

I graduated from college in 1977, and began my teaching career that Fall. Teachers could wear slacks to school, only if they were part of a pant-suit, and the hem of the jacket covered the hips and reached the fingertips. Even though mini-skirts were still quite popular, a teacher's skirt was at most only a few inches above the knee, and only the very young teachers might wear them. The looks they got from the older female teachers often curtailed wearing a skirt considered too-short. Likewise, for too tight.

Until the mid to late 80s, teachers were encouraged to leave teaching for the duration of a pregnancy when they began 'showing.' For some, it might be as early as three months into the pregnancy; for others, it may be well into the fifth or sixth.

Things relaxed for teachers, so, that by the late 1990s, schools and/or principals were finding it necessary to mandate dress for the faculty, which often included not dressing too suggestively for the females, and wearing ties, for the males. I sometimes had a difficult time separating the young teachers from the kids in the HS, shortly before I retired. Truth be told, however, in all the years I taught, I would have probably only sent a handful of faculty members home to change clothes had I been the principal, but I think I could easily have sent home students -- male and female -- by the handfuls, daily.

I think most things in the school setting became more 'relaxed' over the years, too, including the general demeanor of students and teachers.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM

^^^In the mid to late 70s, I taught a portion of a teen-parenting class at a midwestern college town high school. The teachers' dress at that time was atrocious. You are right, it was hard to tell the teachers from the kids, especially, dare I say this, the male teachers. By the time my kids went to school starting in 1989, even in Colorado the teachers dressed a little more professionally. (Colorado is known for its rather casual dress style, period.) The pregnancy issue is funny. We nurses were always encouraged to work till our water broke, even in the early 70s! BTW, I wore a public health nurse uniform to the high school, as I was required to do by my dress code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education