U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 02:06 PM

28,000 posts, read 46,434,155 times

Advertisements

SHE has sold nearly 400 million books, is worth 500 million and has inspired millions to get back to reading. But for some students at one of the world's most prestigious universities JK Rowling is just a "flash in the pan".

A row has erupted over whether Ms Rowling is the right person to give the most important speech of the year at Harvard University as thousands of students graduate on 5 June. She was asked in January to give the commencement address at the Ivy LeagueADVERTISEMENTinstitution, but some students have complained that they deserve better.

JK Rowling to speak at Harvard, but students say she's 'a flash in the pan' - The Scotsman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 PM

61 posts, read 410,055 times
Wow! I would rather have her than a lot of those other people they listed. I am a fan of the HP movies, but I haven't read the books yet. I do plan on it. I guess it is a good thing I didn't go to Harvard. I'm much more into someone doing something creative and doing well with that and turning it into wealth. I get more inspired by these people. I do think Bill Gates is impressive, but my mind doesn't think like his. I probably wouldn't be very excited to see him speak. It would probably be valuable, but not get me going. I'm not into computers or business. I think anyone who does well in life and in a good way is worth listening to. I wish she would come to my school. I would love it and get a lot out of it.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,876,931 times
I would imagine the decision was made to find someone with an inspirational story to tell; JK Rowling managed to create her first books during times of hardship and severe depression.

She is also a philanthropist and has raised tens of millions as well as donating big chunks of her own personal fortune.

It's true she is children's writer, but a highly remarkable one who has inspired a renaissance of young readers - at a time when reading was in huge decline.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:44 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,048,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SHE has sold nearly 400 million books, is worth 500 million and has inspired millions to get back to reading. But for some students at one of the world's most prestigious universities JK Rowling is just a "flash in the pan".

A row has erupted over whether Ms Rowling is the right person to give the most important speech of the year at Harvard University as thousands of students graduate on 5 June. She was asked in January to give the commencement address at the Ivy LeagueADVERTISEMENTinstitution, but some students have complained that they deserve better.

JK Rowling to speak at Harvard, but students say she's 'a flash in the pan' - The Scotsman
Actually, this is a clear reflection on how far Harvard has dropped in the quality of its students. To be unable to appreciate JK Rowlings shows an incredible amount of poor judgment and an enormous sense of false superiority.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 AM

909 posts, read 2,869,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Actually, this is a clear reflection on how far Harvard has dropped in the quality of its students. To be unable to appreciate JK Rowlings shows an incredible amount of poor judgment and an enormous sense of false superiority.
Don't know if I agree with the first statement, but I definitely agree with the second, esp. in light of where she was in life when the series was created, and the impact it had on reading. I don't thing you have to be a fan of her books to appreciate her influence.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 AM

5,416 posts, read 9,582,942 times
The article quotes one student who wrote an op-ed for the paper. It gives no indication of how many students are opposed to her, so it seems a stretch to make a judgment on the quality of Harvard students in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or