Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 02:51 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,690,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Okay to the people who live in gold plated suburbs with vacation homes or family vacations to different states multiple times a year, please sit down and sit this one out.

Take your Lexus' and brand new Audi's and go back to Pleasant Village super rich suburb land.

Send you kids to an underfunded, blighted school district where parents work 80+ hours a week to make ends meet and surviving is a daily thing between crime and when bills are due.

You have absolutely no authority or right to insult the mother for giving her kids a roof. It's not as easy in Baltimore to work a job or two and make sure your kids are succeeding simply by... Looking at a report card. You guys sound incredibly ignorant, misinformed and unaware of what happens in severely underfunded school districts.
To be fair, this school got $5.3 million yearly for about 464 students. That's about $11,500 per student, which is more than my local school district spends, and we are an excellent school district with very successful schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 03:56 PM

44,900 posts, read 59,882,454 times
Baltimore City Public Schools graduation requirements (which are actually statewide):

https://www.baltimorecityschools.org...n-requirements

In order to be promoted to the next grade in high school the student has to earn a minimum number of credits each year as well as having the "right" classes passed (failing English is an automatic non-promote).

I don't remember how the other ones lay out but by the end of 10th Grade the classes passed have to include not only English 9 and 10 but also a Math and a Social Studies as well as having (if I remember correctly) passed at least seven or eight classes.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:36 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,429,567 times
Everyone failed in this case.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:08 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,690,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Baltimore City Public Schools graduation requirements (which are actually statewide):

https://www.baltimorecityschools.org...n-requirements

In order to be promoted to the next grade in high school the student has to earn a minimum number of credits each year as well as having the "right" classes passed (failing English is an automatic non-promote).

I don't remember how the other ones lay out but by the end of 10th Grade the classes passed have to include not only English 9 and 10 but also a Math and a Social Studies as well as having (if I remember correctly) passed at least seven or eight classes.
At our graduations, there's a formal thing where the superintendent asks the registrar if all the candidates for graduation have satisfied the state's high school diploma requirements, and the registrar has to say, "yes, all of them have met the requirements".

Do they just skip that step at the graduation for this high school (and the others in the area that do the same thing of awarding diplomas to students who haven't come anywhere close to meeting the requirements)?

Old 03-05-2021, 05:36 PM

4,353 posts, read 4,192,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Any kid who isn't showing aptitude or motivation by eighth grade should be redirected into a vocational, hands-on education of appropriate length and placed in a constructive job environment.

Why couldn't this be community-based or set up like a Works Progress or Civilian Conservation Core program with housing and guidance? Structure.

They could have the option of returning to higher education after a period of time given that they mature and decide they want that.
This might require rethinking by the insurance industry. Many businesses are prohibited from employing minors, and minors are often restricted from doing certain jobs. Our son would have loved to be able to work legally when he was 15 or 16. Lots of kids in disadvantaged families are already working long hours in dead-end food service jobs. It would be great if instead, they were able to start their careers while still underage. Then mom might not have to work three jobs.

I did notice that no one wanted to address the fact that Mom probably wouldn't have to work three jobs if she had one job with regular hours and decent pay with benefits. There is a likelihood that she has to have some assistance given her economic situation. When parents have to choose between basic needs and being more involved in their children's education, reality often trumps ideals.

I've seen how generational poverty endemic in a community is self-perpetuating. It's actually worse in communities where everyone with the wherewithal have already left, such as ours. There are plenty of great kids who do want to learn, whose parents work every bit as hard as the mother in the article, but there are many more who don't see how education has helped anyone they know, because they are all working low-income jobs, often part-time with no benefits. Life on assistance is their reality, and they think that only rich people don't get government money.

The poor will always be with us. In education we must ask whether or not we will continue to serve poor children with schools that themselves are poor due to funding schools with local property taxes. In other developed countries, there are poor children, but the schools that serve them are not poor. The result of that investment in their society yields a healthier, happier, more educated, and better life for the poor children who live there.

The problems of generational poverty and its effects on our society make up a virtual Gordian knot. The question is whether our age will produce an Alexander who has the will, the power, and the audacity to slice it open.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:20 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Okay to the people who live in gold plated suburbs with vacation homes or family vacations to different states multiple times a year, please sit down and sit this one out.

Take your Lexus' and brand new Audi's and go back to Pleasant Village super rich suburb land.

Send you kids to an underfunded, blighted school district where parents work 80+ hours a week to make ends meet and surviving is a daily thing between crime and when bills are due.

You have absolutely no authority or right to insult the mother for giving her kids a roof. It's not as easy in Baltimore to work a job or two and make sure your kids are succeeding simply by... Looking at a report card. You guys sound incredibly ignorant, misinformed and unaware of what happens in severely underfunded school districts.
I went to low income schools, but no way was someone with under a 1.0 going to be anywhere near the top half of the graduating class. Most kids were lucky enough to have parents who cared, despite working a ton of hours in order to make ends meet, so they actually had to do things such as attend class and not fail everything. Now, the schools wouldn't have allowed it, either, but I went to school in the 90s and very early 2000s, when schools were actually allowed to hold students accountable. (Baltimore schools also receive far more funding than my district did/does.)

Coming from a low income family doesn't have to be a sentence to suffer needlessly for life, and it should never be used as an excuse to do so.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:38 PM

44,900 posts, read 59,882,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
At our graduations, there's a formal thing where the superintendent asks the registrar if all the candidates for graduation have satisfied the state's high school diploma requirements, and the registrar has to say, "yes, all of them have met the requirements".

Do they just skip that step at the graduation for this high school (and the others in the area that do the same thing of awarding diplomas to students who haven't come anywhere close to meeting the requirements)?
In Maryland the Principal (or his designee) has to make a statement to the effect that all the students have met the requirements to receive a diploma.

We had a kerfuffle one year when one of the School Board members tried to do it and the Principal had to firmly state that it was his job to do the certification.

My (former) system had an issue a couple years ago where it was found that roughly 20% of that year's graduates hadn't met the requirements.

Big investigation but, at the end of the day, as usual no heads rolled although some Central Office functionaries tried to blame the teaching staff instead of the school administrators (who are the ones who can change grades and alter other records after they're locked).

Old 03-05-2021, 06:57 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,920,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
"Single mom of three". That is your big clue right there. If that observation makes me racist in your mind, okay.

p.s. - Baltimore schools are in the nationwide top 3 for $$/pupil funding ratios.
What on earth is THAT ^^^ supposed to mean? My own mother was a "single mother of three" after my father died when he was in the military back in 1960. My sisters and I ended up doing OK because we grew up in the military (albeit the enlisted ranks, about as working-class as you can get) and we had lots of support OUTSIDE our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Not at all surprised by that [that I, karen in NH, am an educator].
I know that you were trying to insult me, but try again. I have been a college professor for more than 20 years now, educated at Berkeley and Michigan, but I am by no means a bleeding heart liberal (people who know me would laugh at that description). I've never taught at the k-12 level and honestly, don't think I could -- it would be too disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow, that's quite a tirade. It would be nice to see inner city Baltimore parents go on tirades like this at school board meetings. Where do Baltimore Board of Ed members send their kids to school? I bet it's not the public schools.
You just made my point, although you seem to not understand that.

But really, I think a lot of you who are making snide remarks completely missed my point, which is that if it were a suburban white "single mother of three," or if it were a suburban white school where a kid could get a .13 GPA and be right in the middle of his high school class, you would not have reacted in the same way. (OK, go ahead, protest all you want that that's not the case.)

IF there were a suburban white school where a kid could get a .13 GPA and be right in the middle of his high school class, do you SERIOUSLY think that there would not be a total outcry against the incompetence of the school district? Because if you think that, you are delusional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Mom does NOT get a pass. She can NOT be allowed to.
Her own mother, who went through the same basic scenario 17 years prior, gets no pass either.
Where did I say she "got a pass"? I said pretty clearly that OF COURSE the mother should have paid more attention and OF COURSE the kid should have tried harder. But some of you react as if I had said that they did nothing wrong, either. But I didn't say that.

What I said was, it should be a national outrage -- yes, the shame of this nation, as Jonathan Kozol wrote a long time ago -- that schools in poor areas -- which are often, but not always, black or other minority-heavy -- are incredibly crappy. But more importantly, and more to my point, if you move those minority kids into BETTER schools, they have better outcomes. I mean, seriously, why is that statement controversial? OF COURSE they would have better outcomes (you can do the research yourself by looking into the Gautreaux Program of the past or inner-city public boarding schools in the present).

Honestly, I am very sad that so many of you (not all, but many) would vastly prefer just blaming the (minority) parents and the kids when the SCHOOL DISTRICTS are failing so many. And no one gives a crap. It's disgusting.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 PM

760 posts, read 760,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
unless SOMEONE wakes up on the Democrat led education system.

There's no "Democrat led education system" it's GOVERNMENT led public schools, the one that the REPUBLICANS also voted for and support funding of and did when they had control of the House, Senate AND POTUS and that orange village idiot had a nincompoop DeVoss in charge of education with less experience in teaching/education than a Kinderdarten substitute teacher!
She decided religious schooling was more important! thank doG the two of those idiots are GONE!!!

Quote:
They're more concerned about which Dr. Seuss or Mark Twain books to ban,.
You got parties confused, that was the REPUBLICAN religion censorship book burners who went after any books they thought were "gay" or "promoted the gay 'lifestyle' "

As far as Dr Seuss, it was the publisher who said thisl
Quote:

Dr. Seuss Enterprises announced Tuesday that it will cease publication of six of the late children’s author’s 46 books due to racially insensitive imagery in their illustrations.
The company told The Associated Press that the books in question “portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong” and said ending their publication was part of the company’s efforts to preserve the late Theodore Geisel’s legacy.
“Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ catalog represents and supports all communities and families,” the company said in a statement to the news service.
Show us on the doll where the "Democrats" banned that book when it was the publisher who announced they were ceasing publication of them and WHY.

I doubt Mississippi is a "Democrat" haven either, this book was banned after a reverend "complained" to the school board about GASP!!!! wait for it!!!...

"discussion of sexual activity" !!!!!

Quote:
In July 1996, the Superintendent of the Moss Point School District in Mississippi announced To Kill a Mockingbird would be reviewed by a group of parents, community members and teachers after a complaint came from Reverend Greg Foster about the novel's racial descriptions and discussion of sexual activity. The novel was ultimately banned from being accessed in the school district.

Books can be banned from public schools but that means nothing since anyone can find them in libraries, order one thru the inter-library loan if their local library doesnt have it, or they can buy them used, cheap on the web from numerous sellers on Amazon and others.

Last edited by Sculptor; 03-05-2021 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-05-2021, 08:00 PM

19,493 posts, read 17,717,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
There's no "Democrat led education system" it's GOVERNMENT led public schools, the one that the REPUBLICANS also voted for and support funding of and did when they had control of the House, Senate AND POTUS and that orange village idiot had a nincompoop DeVoss in charge of education with less experience in teaching/education than a Kinderdarten substitute teacher!
She decided religious schooling was more important! thank doG the two of those idiots are GONE!!!

You got parties confused, that was the REPUBLICAN religion censorship book burners who went after any books they thought were "gay" or "promoted the gay 'lifestyle' "

Now that is an interesting set of grand rationalizations . The overwhelming majority of failing big city school districts sit within cities and counties that have been governed for a very long time by democrats - a couple haven't had a republican mayor in generations........with school administrators who are overwhelmingly democrats.......and school boards populated by people who are overwhelmingly democrats. Baltimore hasn't had a republican mayor since 1967 and 1947 for the second.

The fact is by world or OECD standards our K-12 schools are fantastically well funded with Baltimore schools being better funded than most in The US. So there is no real argument to be made that money is the driving force in all this failure.

Blaming Betsy DeVoss and book burning for any of this is a distortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education