Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:02 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,211,640 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/foxbalt...s-with-013-gpa

Mommy of course blames the school *rolls eyes*

I guess mommy didn’t look at his report cards or bothered to go to teacher/parent conferences. You madam as a mother failed your son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 09:20 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,428,003 times
In the original post and thread title, I think you may have left out the actually important piece of information in that article.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 AM

7,940 posts, read 7,297,355 times
...ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

Sounds like there is plenty of failure to go around. Why is this allowed to happen in Baltimore, or any city in America?

What was the average GPA in that school before the Covid shutdown? Does anyone see a reason for schools to reopen?

Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,585,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post

I guess mommy didn’t look at his report cards or bothered to go to teacher/parent conferences. You madam as a mother failed your son.
Did you read the part that the child was in the top half of the class AND the teachers did not request any parent-teacher conferences? He was also apparently promoted several times even though he failed.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:59 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,836,401 times
Quote:

Why isn't there some program available in these disgusting cities to provide an alternative place for kids like this to learn some usable skills.

Kids like this will never learn enough to qualify as high school educated.

Momma moron is the one that initially set this kid up for failure in his grade school years. This is with the blessing of the lazy, uninterested, & unmotivated teachers and administration, all of which deserve to be fired. As we all know, thanks to the teachers unions in cities like this they're all well protected from any culpability. Don't look for anything to change soon. Take a look who's in charge of our government now, as well as the local government of Baltimore. All the loyal voters and donors are protected.

This is a very good example of how our kid's futures are very bleak unless SOMEONE wakes up on the Democrat led education system. They're more concerned about which Dr. Seuss or Mark Twain books to ban, or making sure that the kids have adequate sensibility training than whether the students are getting ANY education at all.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:47 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,005,150 times
Sounds like the parents and the child were checked out. Certainly the parents should have known the child was struggling and pushed for intervention.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:11 PM

19,517 posts, read 17,753,685 times
IIRC a few years ago this same school district from a pool of 6 or 7 high schools graduate fewer than 10 students math qualified for college per SAT and ACT scores.

Across the country big inner city schooling poses nothing short of a national security problem.

Anyone who actually gives a darn about black and brown kids should be furious.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:29 PM

35,510 posts, read 17,715,580 times
While the mother certainly displayed complete inattention to how he was doing, not even apparently seeking or even looking at his report cards, the school is at fault too.

I'd always told my kids if they were afraid they might fail a class, that if you're in the top half you won't fail. No school will allow more than half the class to fail. If you're in the bottom few kids, yes, you are at risk for failing.

This boy is ranked 62 in a class of 120. That is abysmal, that interventions weren't made on his behalf and the other masses of kids who went to school and didn't get the support the school district demands.

In Texas, if you've got kids who attended for 4 years and at the end of that time don't receive a diploma, the district takes a big hit. You don't want to have many kids here who stick it out and the state pays for their education and yet they fall into the category of drop outs by not meeting standards. You can have some of those, but NOT HALF THE CLASS.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:34 PM

20,349 posts, read 4,265,342 times
Quote:

Where is he? Where is the next Joe (or Joan) Clark?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/30/n...lark-dead.html

This school needs help from the inside & outside.

It's easy to just blame the school. But did the mother actually ask her son how he was doing in school?

Duh, I fail all my classes, but I still move up a grade.

There was a time when they left the kids that failed in the same grade. If they finally learned great, if not oh well. Once they couldn't fit in the desk anymore they told them to leave.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:08 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,400,911 times
...ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

There must be lots of blame to go around. What was his grade school like.

It didn't occur to me at the time but looking back it was as though their objective was too kill curiousity.

I got hooked on science fiction and taught myself to ignore teachers.

We should have had a K-12 National Recommend Reading for decades. Updated at least every 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education