Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 04:02 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times

Advertisements

orchestra, concert band, madrigal chorus, ice skating club, library, national honor society, and a few others that I have forgotten as well as those that I abandoned after a year or 2. This was just high school. I was too young to get a summer job during high school, but had jobs during college after I turned 16.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Yearbook editor, founder of an underground newspaper, established a county recycling center when recycling was unheard of, played tennis until my horrible mother put a stop to it, photography.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:48 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times
Wrestling, weightlifting & varsity football; I was lifting year round so I got big and strong quick. Off season, I worked part-time during the school year and full-time in the summer.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:13 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Horses. Some gardening.

Nothing related to school.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:57 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times
I went to high school about 30 miles from my house, so I needed to have a good reason to stay late (and find alternate transportation to get home), so that made it rough to participate in extracurriculars.

I did join the drama club and a couple other clubs. Was also in the 2:45 Club (detention) here and there.

Mostly, I'd stay after to hang out with friends and then ride the train towards home. My dad would pick me up by the train station on his way home from work which covered the last few miles of the trip.

Aside from school, I was involved in groups around home, such as a volunteer emergency response group and the Columbian Squires (youth group of the Knights of Columbus). I also bowled in the Men's League during high school, which negated my eligibility for any high school sports. That was ok, as I enjoyed hanging with my older friends and wining prize money!

Old 07-16-2021, 02:49 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
orchestra, concert band, madrigal chorus, ice skating club, library, national honor society, and a few others that I have forgotten as well as those that I abandoned after a year or 2. This was just high school. I was too young to get a summer job during high school, but had jobs during college after I turned 16.
Madrigal chorus? I love the sound of that. What HS did you attend? I am guessing a private school.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:37 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
^ Nope. A NYC public school.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:10 PM

4,379 posts, read 1,694,272 times
Editor of the school newspaper
Drama
Band (but not in HS)
Student Council (but not in HS)
Animal Occupations was one of my classes, and I got to groom pets and work in a pet store.

That's all that I can think of. I also ran the switchboard in the front office as an elective. I lived pretty far from school (in another city, actually), so I never wanted to do anything that made me stay after school since I took public transit home. Even when I was in Drama, I only went for parts where my character was gone by Act II. LOL

Old 08-27-2021, 07:59 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I went to high school about 30 miles from my house, so I needed to have a good reason to stay late (and find alternate transportation to get home), so that made it rough to participate in extracurriculars.

I did join the drama club and a couple other clubs. Was also in the 2:45 Club (detention) here and there.

Mostly, I'd stay after to hang out with friends and then ride the train towards home. My dad would pick me up by the train station on his way home from work which covered the last few miles of the trip.

Aside from school, I was involved in groups around home, such as a volunteer emergency response group and the Columbian Squires (youth group of the Knights of Columbus). I also bowled in the Men's League during high school, which negated my eligibility for any high school sports. That was ok, as I enjoyed hanging with my older friends and wining prize money!
It's pretty funny that you listed detention as one of your after school activities...

I was lucky and lived close to the school, so I walked to and from school until I was old enough to get my license, and then I drove.

For the kids that lived far from school and missed the bus home, that was a much bigger problem than the detention itself.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:42 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
High school Symphonic Band and Marching Band (alto clarinet).

Drum and bugle corp (played glockenspiel and xylophone) - this was a community type group sponsored by the local fire department. There were majorettes, color guard, pom poms, and of course the drummers. Two years in a row, we marched in the New Year's Day parade in Disney World. Usually, however, it would just be local parades. We also did competitions.

Worked part-time at a lunch counter for most of my high school years.

In middle school, I was in the Chess Club and the Magic Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education