Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 05:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,569 times

Advertisements

I wasn't in any extracurriculars in high school. I got a job as a hostess at a restaurant and started working at age sixteen. I eventually became a waitress and moved out of my parents house at age eighteen. I went to community college at night in my early twenties while working during the day. I had no time for college extracurriculars.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I wasn't in any extracurriculars in high school. I got a job as a hostess at a restaurant and started working at age sixteen. I eventually became a waitress and moved out of my parents house at age eighteen. I went to community college at night in my early twenties while working during the day. I had no time for college extracurriculars.
I was just going to post "pumping gas in high school" and "driving a truck" in college and I saw your post. I often wished that I would have had some time for fun extracurricular activities in college but I guess everything worked out okay.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:41 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
I learned how to fly airplanes.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,938,423 times
i was overloaded with school work had no time for extra curriculars

Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I recall doing some student government stuff. I had a job a month after I turned 16 so that was my primary after school activity

Old 09-18-2021, 07:29 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
detention hall mostly, but I straightened up....

Old 09-20-2021, 07:20 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Theater, choir. But if you looked at my senior year description of the clubs I was in it had far more. My friend said let’s sneak into all the club photos today. So we raced around to every group, signed the photographers sheet stood in back and was in all of them! We had no idea it would work. No one checked on the names and let fly! Makes me laugh to this day. Sorry, not sorry!

Old 09-21-2021, 09:29 AM

129 posts, read 79,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Work!
Dairy Farm Boarding school.

Milking cows at 4:30AM and 4:30PM 7 days / week.

But... we were fed well, had a lot of fun, and were in excellent physical shape, ...no sports / extracurricular required.
Lol except sports and extracurriculars are school not only teaches you hand eye coordination but how to work as a team, it’s exercise, it also teaches them social skills being with 30 of their same age peers 6x a week.

Being alone or working with your siblings on a farm only teaches the value of hard work but it doesn’t do anything for the kids socially, mentally or emotionally. They’re just menial mundane tasks with zero challenge unlike learning the footwork necessary to get the ball around your opponent to score the winning goal.

Sports and after school clubs help kids build confidence as well.

I played soccer, I swam, I ran track, I played rugby, I was part of Pep Club which decorated and planned events, I was also in DECA to learn business. I also was a manager on the boys football team too.

I also worked and actually got paid for my work. I got my first job at 14 working at a pizza place making pasta and washing dishes. I was able to save for big things I wanted, I was able to buy songs for my iPod, make-up, going to movies. If I wanted to do something extra I had to pay for it, taught me how to manage my money and how to work for what I got.

I’m glad that I got to play sports and chase my own dreams and goals.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:07 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Band and theatre.

And outside of school, marched in a drum and bugle corps. Toured the country in competition. World's greatest youth activity, bar none.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:09 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
In high school I did chorale (an extracurricular for chorus) for a year, volunteered for developmentally disabled people for two years, and showed up for meetings for a diversity interaction club for a couple of years.

I also took classes in Italian and Chinese during my junior and senior years for my own interest at a nearby community college. (I was already taking other languages in my regular high school studies.)

Other than that, I spent most of my extra-curricular high school time studying, and a bit of time getting stoned and sowing some wild oats.

In retrospect, I wish I had taken art lessons (esp. drawing) as an extracurricular activity in high school, but my parents were busy running a business and didn't guide me through any of this stuff, and I didn't know how to ask for help from other people.

In college I did a little bit of chorus, some light volunteering, and a little tutoring during the school years. Otherwise, I studied a lot, got stoned a little, and did a lot of reading for pleasure beyond classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education