Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 9,077 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

The position for a Treasurer on the local school board is vacant and since I would like to volunteer at my kid's school, I was wondering how much work is involved in joining as a PTO board member?

Does any one have any experiences working on the PTO board?

My kid is joining kindergarten this year, so assuming my kid will be at the same school through elementary, can I resign from that position mid-way if things turn sour? Will it lead to any consequences for my kid?

Thanks in advance for really great inputs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:09 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,818,052 times
It's been quite a while, but I spent several years as a PTA officer, both as treasurer and then VP. The treasurer position was a lot more work. First, rolling all those coins for every book sale, ice cream event, and various fund raisers was no picnic, I spent a lot of time at the bank. Then I had to balance the books and write a report before each meeting. In comparison, VP was a breeze. But I'm glad I stepped up, I had three kids in the school.

I wouldn't worry about consequences if it ends up being too much for you. There were always new parents eager to have a role. But give it a try, it's a great way to meet a lot of other people quickly.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:17 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,702,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QriousQ View Post
Hi All,

The position for a Treasurer on the local school board is vacant and since I would like to volunteer at my kid's school, I was wondering how much work is involved in joining as a PTO board member?

My kid is joining kindergarten this year, so assuming my kid will be at the same school through elementary, can I resign from that position mid-way if things turn sour? Will it lead to any consequences for my kid?

PTO makes it sound like a private school, maybe?

My wife was finance committee chair when our kids were in private elementary and middle - same school. The gig was supposed to last two years - she did it for six. It was a lot of work at times and then almost nothing for months.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,753,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
PTO makes it sound like a private school, maybe?

My wife was finance committee chair when our kids were in private elementary and middle - same school. The gig was supposed to last two years - she did it for six. It was a lot of work at times and then almost nothing for months.
No not necessarily a private school. PTOs are independent organizations and do not belong to the national organization of the PTA

https://www.ptotoday.com/pto-today-a...to-vs-pta-faqs

Old 08-04-2021, 06:36 PM

3,009 posts, read 2,196,294 times
Depends on the school and the other parents. They will most likely ask for as much time as you can donate, and some moms definitely hold grudges. That said, the same moms would fiercely have your (and your child's) back if need be.

Proceed with eyes wide open.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:57 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,702,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No not necessarily a private school. PTOs are independent organizations and do not belong to the national organization of the PTA

https://www.ptotoday.com/pto-today-a...to-vs-pta-faqs
Yea. I've got something wrong. What my wife did was nothing like PTA. Her committee functioned more or less like a corporate board over/working with the school's CFO, lawyer and the President.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:15 PM

50,125 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QriousQ View Post
Hi All,

Your wording seems confusing to me.

PTO Board
School Board

At least in public schools, those are two different things.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:31 AM

11 posts, read 9,077 times
My apologies,

To be more specific:
The treasurer position is open at the PTO board in a public elementary school, not the School Board at the district.

Thanks Mattie for the encouragement! Thanks gus2 for the warning

Old 08-05-2021, 10:55 AM

50,125 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Things vary so much with PTAs and PTOs in different schools. I've worked in one school where the PTA was VERY active, and another where it almost didn't exist, and in my school where I was principal they were happy if they could just raise money.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:13 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,018,050 times
I served several years as the chair of the PTO at my kid's school.

If this is your first year in the school, I think treasurer is going to be a lot of work to take on. I would recommend volunteering this year, maybe serve as secretary or a lower key role and learn the school and the PTO so you'd have a better idea of what you are doing as treasurer. I mean, I'm not saying it's rocket surgery, but each school PTO has it's annual cycle of events and activities and the treasurer is pretty heavily involved in just about all of it in one way or another. So it's helpful to have some understanding of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education