Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 07:27 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Did you see this?

https://news.yahoo.com/alveda-king-d...192400824.html

I think it confirms how Dr. King might feel.
I see nothing wrong in what Alveda states. Our history IS our history. CRT as per how it's taught now is a skewed lie as to what is claimed to be the absolute conclusion to everything that has happened and is happening in this country.

Fools like this Oregon governor are using these fallacies to destroy the education system for ALL students, no matter the color. Her very actions pretty much ARE racist. When black children are no longer in the school system, they are going to have to be armed with enough education to compete in the job market. Her actions are to push more black people to enter the welfare ranks or join the criminal ranks just to make a living.

If this is helping people of color, you have to question her intelligence, or at least her motives.

Last edited by jmgg; 08-11-2021 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-11-2021, 07:45 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
So, basically, with widespread use of slave and near-slave labor in China and decreasing need for actual workers in the US, many to be replaced by robots sooner rather than later, we have in part regressed to a pre-industrial situation in terms of a need to educate the masses through a system of public schools, which by now are being refitted to outsized baby-sitting factories for people who may never mature into adult human beings.

Does that sound about the size of it or am I missing part of the message?

Please help fill in any gap there. I like to be very accurate.

Thank you.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:49 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Oregon Governor Kate Brown has cancelled the proficiency standards for reading, writing and math from High School graduation requirements.

The governors office says “suspending the reading, writing and math proficiency requirements … will benefit “Oregon’s Black, Latino, Latina, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color.”

In essence, the students of color are not smart enough to learn reading, writing or math – so they shouldn’t be expected to read, write or understand mathematics.

It’s hard to imagine a state governor saying the minority students in the state are not smart enough to pass proficiency standards; thereby signaling her extreme racist perspectives- and gaining cheers from her leftist tribe; yet here we are.

This is called ‘the soft bigotry of low expectations‘.

So now learning how to read, write and figure out what 2 + 2 equals is considered 'racist' in Oregon. Brilliant. Can Oregon schools even be considered as providing education any more? Is abolishing testing and grades next? After all study for a math test is very hard and 'oppressive'. I hated Alegbra but I studied hard and passed it. I thank God that my parents chose to send me to a Catholic grade school where we receive an excellent basic education. I chose to go to a Catholic High School because by the early 1970s the public high schools in Brooklyn, NY were all disasters.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:56 AM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Denying children their right to an education is neglect, plain and simple.

What a terrible governor and human being Kate Brown is.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
The Govt fears an educated populace.

The more dependent they are on Govt services. the more compliant they will be.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:07 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Oregon already did not enforce the OAKS test consistently. Parents and/or teachers could already request to opt out if it. This just makes the lack of enforcement official.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:31 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Slavery days they just forbade teaching African Americans to read and write. This way is so much more palatable -

"Oh, don't bother with that. It's too hard for you. You still get a diploma." Make people think they are getting something for nothing. That's got to be an easy sell but the results are the same.

Tell me why people aren't screaming in outrage. Maybe reading and writing won't matter where we're all headed?

Old 08-11-2021, 08:45 AM

6,798 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Wow, what a shame.

I went to public school and felt like I received a decent education, in rural Pennsylvania. My parents were present and involved in my life, which I’m sure helped a lot. However, over the past couple of years, I’ve really soured on public schools, as it seems like much of what I see happening in my local community as well as what is happening nationally appears to indicate that school boards, administrators, politicians, etc etc, are focusing on absolutely THE WRONG things, which ultimately hurt the students. If I had children, I would strongly consider making alternate arrangements, whether it’s homeschool or private school.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:52 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Maybe reading and writing won't matter where we're all headed?
That's what I'm driving at.

In pre-industrial times, most people could not read so they got the story through icons.

In the coming post-industrial times (or are we already there?), many people will not be able to read proficiently, independently, so they get the story through icons.

The main difference being in former times icons were in a temple, in latter times on a computer screen.

Same basic result.

We are coming full circle again, and this time around it has taken less than two-hundred years.

Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2021, 08:55 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
This is what we call the soft bigotry of low expectations.
Every parent in all these groups should be rioting outside the governor's mansion with torches and pitchforks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education