U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,465 posts, read 50,699,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissFL View Post
...He leans more towards option B because he thinks it would be better for his career. ..
If OP ever returns, or for next reader...

Modified Option B, and as closely related to Option A as possible (Support or leadership roles in a career you have a passion for, but may not qualify). Teaching Special Needs is a very demanding, strict compliance, low pay, high risk job, (personal Health and safety + termination risk due to something beyond your control.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 08:23 AM

597 posts, read 274,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPU1256 View Post
Long story short, in the years after graduating high school I tried CC twice to no avail. Looking back I wasn't ready and in hindsight and should have done a gap year. I then looked to EMT training to at least get a skillset under my belt per my mom's advice. COVID hit, and adding in some extenuating personal circumstances I took a longer break from the college path than intended, and will be 22 in June and still trying to figure things out while others are graduating. Then again, aside from those who did gap years or the military first COVID has also offset the conventional college timelines. My desired career is law enforcement.

I'm going to be a really open-book here, and lay it all out... for better or worse.

When I graduated from high school, I graduated with a 1.7 GPA. I was intelligent, but just didn't apply myself. I immediately went to community college, and dropped out after two semesters.

I then just started working (because my parents told me I was on my own). I was smart enough to keep myself in good company, so I had opportunities. I eventually worked my way through a few different companies starting at the absolute bottom being tech-support, then a programmer, etc ... and more or less remained pretty responsible.

Once I knew what I really wanted to do for a living, I went back to school in my late 20s. While working full time, I finished an associates, a bachelors, and a masters in 6 years. From 28-32 I'd completed all three, and had straight-As for each. I had a 3.948 GPA for my bachelors, and a 4.0 for my masters. I paid for almost all of them out of pocket, and the companies paid for some of it. I've gone on to another Masters, and other degrees and certifications as well. I am now a millionaire.

I don't say that as some anonymous person to show how awesome I think I am, but to emphasize the fact that you won't ever succeed until you HAVE THE DESIRE to do so. Once you realize what you want to do... (law enforcement, etc.), and you truly want to do that... you'll do what you need to do to accomplish that goal, and work through any obstacle that impedes you from attaining it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education