U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 11:14 AM

10,132 posts, read 5,375,541 times

Advertisements

Thread title says it all.

Here's the article reporting the stats:

At least 135 teachers, aides charged with child sex crimes this year alone
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 11:54 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,849,237 times
Out of 5.3 million.

Not bad compared to, say, priests.

(there are 50k clergy, so equivalent would be just 1 a year)

Old 05-23-2022, 12:41 PM
Status: "Pray that Presdient Trump stays safe!" (set 6 days ago)

22,450 posts, read 18,823,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Out of 5.3 million.

Not bad compared to, say, priests.

(there are 50k clergy, so equivalent would be just 1 a year)
Not bad as long as one of them isn't your child, maybe if it was your child, you might feel differently?

One can avoid church more easily than school. Of course, pervs put themselves where they can have access to children. I know of a case in our last city where it appeared that everyone knew what a teacher was doing, but no one did anything. Admin looked the other direction, but finally a student stepped forward and got the ball rolling. Other students stepped up to report what had happened to them or what they saw, students that graduated years ago.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:49 PM

6,542 posts, read 5,738,178 times
I wonder if pervs who would have gone into the clergy in recent years, had second thoughts with all the crackdowns, and instead went into teaching?

And I hope we can all root against the Pervs and not divide ourselves between rooting against the Clergy or the Teachers.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:29 PM

9,028 posts, read 4,993,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Not bad as long as one of them isn't your child, maybe if it was your child, you might feel differently?

One can avoid church more easily than school. Of course, pervs put themselves where they can have access to children. I know of a case in our last city where it appeared that everyone knew what a teacher was doing, but no one did anything. Admin looked the other direction, but finally a student stepped forward and got the ball rolling. Other students stepped up to report what had happened to them or what they saw, students that graduated years ago.
The newspaper teacher at my HS got convicted of having kiddie p**n on his classroom computer a couple of years after I graduated. I was able to find the original newspaper article on it and it seems like a student had logged onto his computer (this was like 25 years ago when it was not uncommon for students to use the teacher computer) to find a document and apparently stumbled onto it. I don’t think it involved any students, but still disturbing nonetheless. I had a few friends who took newspaper who liked him, so it came as a shock. He had been a mainstay at the school for years by that point.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:02 PM

2,751 posts, read 747,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

No one is trying to excuse it, but it is .0000254% of the teaching population in the country. That is honestly a VERY good record. Zero would be even better, but I don't think anything will ever get to zero percent, but this is pretty darn close.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:08 PM

2,751 posts, read 747,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The newspaper teacher at my HS got convicted of having kiddie p**n on his classroom computer a couple of years after I graduated. I was able to find the original newspaper article on it and it seems like a student had logged onto his computer (this was like 25 years ago when it was not uncommon for students to use the teacher computer) to find a document and apparently stumbled onto it. I don’t think it involved any students, but still disturbing nonetheless. I had a few friends who took newspaper who liked him, so it came as a shock. He had been a mainstay at the school for years by that point.
I work in education, and have for nearly 30 years. Some time back, a VERY good friend of mine started as an aide, then became a teacher, and was a pretty popular teacher at the HS. Very nice, personable guy. Then he walked up and murdered his ex-wife's boyfriend, and was found with a list of others he planned to kill, with his ex-wife being the last on the list. I knew this guy well, and never would have expected anything like this... I would expect it from ME before him, lol. But it just goes to show, you can do ALL the due diligence that you can, but people are people, and people can change after they are hired (or maybe just hide it all until they get hired). Schools do the best that they can, but people sneak through.

Honestly, I think the 135 number is probably a bit low, even though the article says 102 of the 135 are offenses against students. I am sure there are other offenders who managed to retire or resign before the investigations were complete.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:36 PM

3,856 posts, read 3,821,754 times
Target rich environments will always attract certain 'types' of predatory humans until they get caught and disciplined. The problem is the failure of institutional leadership, in many cases, to come down swiftly on the perpetrators.

When asked why he robbed banks, Willie Sutton responded, "Because that's where the money is".

Old 05-24-2022, 05:20 AM

8,489 posts, read 3,265,537 times
There are 3.5 million teachers in the US. Some of them are going to be bad people, it's unavoidable. If you add in the fact that many child predators are very good at hiding their activities, it would be shocking if we didn't see some number of cases of teachers committing child predation crimes.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:27 AM

18,242 posts, read 11,898,176 times
Obviously it's not great to hear about sexual predators in schools. That would always be unhappy news. We have a stat upthread that shows, it's actually quite rare as a percentage of teachers, and I would think so given my own experiences in public schools. The teachers were not always great, but I never really encountered one that I thought was any kind of a predator or criminal or likely to ever become anything like that. (I also don't just mean "my time as a student"...but like, everyone I've ever known personally.)

I would say that if one were going to ask the question of whether a child is more likely to be harmed by a teacher or clergy member, it could also make sense to ask if a child is more likely to be harmed by a sexual predator at school, or to be shot at school, these days... Though some folks would probably just shout, "FAKE NEWS" at me for saying so.

Bottom line is my feeling on the premise of the thread is kinda just... at the notion that American parents should be howling and freaking out about "pedos/groomers in public schools." I don't think so. I think that's propaganda and, "they're coming for your kids!" is the oldest trick in the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education