Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 11:22 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Even if someone has a legal right to move to the US, they don't have the legal right to work in the US. Education abroad isn't the same either so if someone has degrees from another country, they may not mean the same thing here. This happens to many professionals. I have sen many foreign doctors move to the US and have to go through additional schooling because they are not qualified to be doctors in the US. This is just 1 example of a profession in which a foreign education does not move with them. This is always something to look into when considering relocation. Also finding out if you're eligible to work is important.
Absolutely! I should have been more clear in my wording.

I didn't go into detail about credentials because others have done that, but also because the OP and their family have to have the legal right to COME here before they can do anything else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 02:22 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobineesh View Post
Hi All,

I am a 40+ year old woman who is on her way to move to the US. Been a successful entrepreneur into education sector in another part of the world. Have worked in banking for 4+ years before my venture. We are planning a move to the US as a family. With the background into education sector, I feel my love for educating Kids, a teaching job will come naturally to me. Do you think its a good idea to start looking into that direction? Please state your reasons whether its Yes or No. 2 important factors for me to decide, money and work-life balance.
You will be a fresh migrant (?) so you will have no work history in the USA. Many school districts do NOT pay into social security. Even if your district did pay into social security, it is paid to retiree’s based upon the average of their highest 35 years (?) of employment.

So just to outline what that means…

You’re moving to USA and you may not currently have a retirement plan, you are considering employment in a low paying sector that might also exclude you from social security, instead offering you a pension that requires 30 years service to be worth a damn, and you only have 20 years of working life left in you, so even if you are social security eligible it will be hammered by the fact that you only have 20 of the 35 years of credit.

Rather than focusing on the ins and outs of the actual job, it’s helpful to put some focus on the practicality of migrating countries at 40+ Years age

Old 07-04-2022, 03:46 AM

14 posts, read 19,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, do you have the legal right to move to the U.S.? (Sorry, this seems like such an obvious question, but we get lots of posts from people who seem to think they can just pack up and move here if they want to. Of course, we in the U.S. generally can't just pack up and move to another country if WE just want to, either! ) You wrote that you are "planning to move to the U.S. as a family" but didn't mention whether you actually CAN.

I am a professor at a college that graduates a LOT of people with teaching credentials. Most DO get jobs within a few years of graduation, but often they have to be willing to move, and many aren't willing to be far from their families. That's a problem, given the demographics of New England.
Hi Karen,

I found you here

As I mentioned in my other post. We have started our EB5 application and now are looking for some EB5 projects for the whole move to start.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:38 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Do all teachers get the same pay?
What about those teaching math,physics,IT,those teachers are not easy to find,as they would rather work in the business world for more money.
Also I read that university professors are being paid peanuts,there is no tenure and they have to hustle to get a full paycheck by teaching in 2 colleges,driving from one campus to another,running up a big gas bill.
A PHD these days do not get you a better paycheck !

Old 07-04-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Do all teachers get the same pay?
What about those teaching math,physics,IT,those teachers are not easy to find,as they would rather work in the business world for more money.
Also I read that university professors are being paid peanuts,there is no tenure and they have to hustle to get a full paycheck by teaching in 2 colleges,driving from one campus to another,running up a big gas bill.
A PHD these days do not get you a better paycheck !
While big money wasnt on my mind but I definitely do not want to hustle anymore. I guess, will have to give up on this idea.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:34 PM

125 posts, read 100,035 times
It can be rewarding, but pay isn't good and thing's can get pretty rough with the modern culture.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:37 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Look at the percentage of teachers that leave the profession soon after they begin to teach.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:37 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
OP, what subject areas are you qualified to teach? Some states are ready to hire teachers for certain subject areas even without teaching certificates, as long as they're enrolled in a program to get certified within a certain period of time. Are you ready to deal with classroom discipline problems? Those can be extreme in some districts.

The teaching schedule usually includes at least one hour for preparation of materials. In other words, you're not teaching every hour of the school day. Well, that's speaking of highschool and middle school.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, what subject areas are you qualified to teach? Some states are ready to hire teachers for certain subject areas even without teaching certificates, as long as they're enrolled in a program to get certified within a certain period of time. Are you ready to deal with classroom discipline problems? Those can be extreme in some districts.

The teaching schedule usually includes at least one hour for preparation of materials. In other words, you're not teaching every hour of the school day. Well, that's speaking of highschool and middle school.
Mathematics or Science to Middle School.

Old 07-24-2022, 05:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
I don't think it can be emphasized enough that pay and qualifications vary widely across the country and even the states, but it's not that hard to find out what's required in the area you are intending to move to, just search for state teaching credentials in whatever state. Here's Ohio: https://www.teachercertificationdegr...fication/ohio/ And here are the salaries: https://ohea.org/resources/professio...er-salaries-2/

I was talking to a cousin last week who mentioned that his wife had a final salary of something like $42,000 after teaching for 20 years in Missouri. In my school district in Pennsylvania, the beginning salary for a new teacher with little experience and just a bachelors degree is $48,000 and that doesn't include the very good benefits like health care and pension.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching