U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 06:38 AM

11 posts, read 4,627 times

Advertisements

I hope the question fits here ... (I'm new here),
but anyway, is that okay? I started to read whole texts at the age of 4 without anyone teaching me to do so...
I want to know if this kind of things are common.
thanks for your answer!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 07:28 AM

6,319 posts, read 3,154,170 times
Only remarkable if you have done something remarkable with your life. Otherwise, unimportant whether "normal" or not.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:44 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently N/VA and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,018 posts, read 3,550,062 times
My son taught himself to read by age 4 while playing Pokemon on a hand held game system and asking a lot questions when he would see words he couldn't make out by sounding out the letters. For instance, he thought Pharmacy was pronounced "Parmeky" until we corrected him. Early on we taught him the alphabet, and he kind of ran with reading on his own after that. My daughter was much slower and struggled reading even as late as 1st grade.

It all depends on early development and means nothing later in life as they have both proven.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:50 AM

12,936 posts, read 8,950,227 times
I agree with the previous two posters. Reading at age 4 is on the early side of the curve, but plenty of equally bright children do not read until 6 or even later.

I was a fluent reader at age 4, and apart from being bored for the first few years in elementary school until the other kids caught up to me, it had no real impact on my life.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
My son taught himself to read by age 4 while playing Pokemon on a hand held game system and asking a lot questions when he would see words he couldn't make out by sounding out the letters. For instance, he thought Pharmacy was pronounced "Parmeky" until we corrected him. Early on we taught him the alphabet, and he kind of ran with reading on his own after that. My daughter was much slower and struggled reading even as late as 1st grade.

It all depends on early development and means nothing later in life as they have both proven.
I didn't have anything like that that actually taught me to read like a reading game and so on.
I also speak Hebrew, and we have two forms of writing that are completely different from each other! This means that even if there were books or games I could learn from, they were written differently from the handwriting I could read (which is a form of handwriting that is more difficult to read).
Just one day my parents found out I was reading everything they wrote. They tried to write me complicated words, and I knew how to read them smoothly!
This is basically the difference I'm talking about.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:53 AM

6,319 posts, read 3,154,170 times
Yes - it's normal.

"“Something is normal if it does not interfere with healthy functioning and pursuit of goals,” Dr. Phil says. “Abnormal interferes with healthy functioning and pursuit of goals.”"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/know...oals.%E2%80%9D

Old 07-07-2022, 09:05 AM

Default I think I didnt use the correct word....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicIsMySoul View Post
I hope the question fits here ... (I'm new here),
but anyway, is that okay? I started to read whole texts at the age of 4 without anyone teaching me to do so...
I want to know if this kind of things are common.
thanks for your answer!!
Instead of the word "normal" I should have said "common"
Sorry I didn't explain well

Old 07-07-2022, 09:11 AM

1,327 posts, read 500,665 times
It's perfectly normal.

It's not average.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,372 posts, read 70,636,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's perfectly normal.

It's not average.
Yes, our oldest did this. Normal is not the same as average, in this case a small percentage, but not small enough to be considered abnormal or rare. Some kids are just very eager to learn, and take it upon themselves earlier than others..

Old 07-07-2022, 09:47 AM

12,936 posts, read 8,950,227 times
When I started kindergarten in 1974, I was aware that I was different from the other children because I could read. Nowadays it is more common for children to read at an early age than it used to be, because more parents and preschool teachers are actively introducing them to letters and words and encouraging them to start reading and writing.

Learning to read without any explicit instruction is not common, if that answers your question, but it does happen. A small number of children will figure out sight words and sound-to-symbol correspondence just from everyday exposure by the age of 3 or 4. But so what? Virtually everyone is reading within the first few years of school and no one cares how old you were when you learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education