U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2022, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Michigan
29,297 posts, read 52,904,571 times
Reputation: 21835

Advertisements

The rollout of a new logo for an Atlanta area elementary school has been paused after parents noted similarities to a Nazi symbol, though a school district said the design was based on a U.S. Army colonel's eagle wings.

https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-schoo...233505943.html
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-21-2022, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
6,519 posts, read 5,724,871 times
Reputation: 13063
Obviously click-bait. The Yahoo news link has a 1:45 video but does not even show the logo, nor are there any still photos in the article.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 07:58 AM
 
15,279 posts, read 14,068,674 times
Reputation: 13906
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Obviously click-bait. The Yahoo news link has a 1:45 video but does not even show the logo, nor are there any still photos in the article.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/20/us/ge...age/index.html


That looks too much like Nazi SS regalia and symbolism.


https://www.google.com/search?q=NAZI...M_YQMh-0YUxcPM
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 08:25 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
67,149 posts, read 50,077,970 times
Reputation: 37834
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post


And it wouldn't be surprising if the Nazis copied it from another culture. After all, the swastika goes back at least as far as the Phoenicians and I've seen the swastika woven into the rim of 19th century native American baskets in a Nevada museum.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
6,519 posts, read 5,724,871 times
Reputation: 13063
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

That looks too much like Nazi SS regalia and symbolism.

Thanks for the links, but the school claimed they based the design on a U.S. Army colonel's insignia.

The Nazis apparently used eagles in their logos as much as we do and if that's the road some activists want to go down with it, so be it. At least some school children have learned about Nazis because of this.

Anyway the school agreed to try a new design, so end of discussion?

https://www.google.com/search?q=army...&bih=937&dpr=1
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 08:28 AM
 
15,279 posts, read 14,068,674 times
Reputation: 13906
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And it wouldn't be surprising if the Nazis copied it from another culture. After all, the swastika goes back at least as far as the Phoenicians and I've seen the swastika woven into the rim of 19th century native American baskets in a Nevada museum.
Understood but mostly irrelevant.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Paradise
3,490 posts, read 3,018,940 times
Reputation: 5434
So Bald Eagles are bad now?

They are a national symbol.

Just want to make sure I'm keeping up...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 08:31 AM
 
15,279 posts, read 14,068,674 times
Reputation: 13906
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Thanks for the links, but the school claimed they based the design on a U.S. Army colonel's insignia.

The Nazis apparently used eagles in their logos as much as we do and if that's the road some activists want to go down with it, so be it. At least some school children have learned about Nazis because of this.

Anyway the school agreed to try a new design, so end of discussion?

https://www.google.com/search?q=army...&bih=937&dpr=1
To my eye the school's withdrawn symbol looks a lot more like Nazi regalia than US Colonel's.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
6,519 posts, read 5,724,871 times
Reputation: 13063
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
To my eye the school's withdrawn symbol looks a lot more like Nazi regalia than US Colonel's.
That's fine. But unless some internet sleuths dig up a history of pro-Nazi posting by any of the public school system's administrators I still say the discussion is over. If the new symbol is an Indian or a Johnny Reb then I'd wanna find out what's up.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2022, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
43,025 posts, read 18,682,797 times
Reputation: 28706
As a former school principal...I think the symbol is okay...BUT if it is causing dissension within the community then it should go.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top