Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 12:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,096,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
All I can say about some of these responses is wow.

People running complex organizations are not stupid. If grades and other markers didn't mean much our good, better and best companies and organizations would not prostrate themselves fighting over new grads with top marks. Further, over time the other side of the market would not bother fighting through the grief in order to earning high marks.

All the top law schools, all the top medical schools and all the top in demand grad schools are brimming with students who earned 3.5-4.0 undergrad marks, lots fewer who earned 3.0-3.49 and those from the 2.00-2.99 cadre are hard to find.
Top this, top that.

99% of the people posting on this forum did not go to top schools, nor do they work at top organizations, nor are they at the top of any ladders. The vast majority of them are middle managers, ICs, and everything else in the middle and below. We have a handful of "CEOs" who ran off and started their small mom&pop business and are moderately successful. I think we have a couple college professors that teach at some generic state schools.

Most people in "the middle" are living just fine as is showcased on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 01:30 PM

8,073 posts, read 9,991,928 times
GPA became obsolete when people started showing up and telling us they had a 4.9 or a 5.6...

IF we are looking at new graduates, we look at course work, course grades, school, work exposure, volunteer work and intern activities. Anything that is REAL. Not some hodge-podge GPA Calculation. We want the person; not the falsely created numerical statistic.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:47 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,602,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man
GPA is meaningless unless you are planning on going to grad school. My diplomas don't have the GPA printed anywhere on it. The degree speaks for itself. You either graduated or you didn't.
Diplomas may not have a numerical GPA printed on them, but they have other words like c*m laude, magna c*m laude, and summa c*m laude, which indicate GPA. Those little words, along with the name of a top school mean a lot more to employers and grad schools than East Podunk State and PGA not given. [Dang censor.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I agree more with Annandale-Man. Most employers do not even look at GPI. They only care that you have the appropriate degree. If anything, they see high GPA's as a negative, since they prefer employees who had to struggle academically and financially through college. Rightly or wrongly, they feel that such employees have better work ethics, whereas they feel that employees with high GPAs are more academically oriented than real-work oriented.
No one sees a high GPA as a negative. Employers may want an indication that a candidate worked hard and struggled, but they'd prefer that the candidate did so successfully rather than produced mediocre results.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:55 PM

This thread is only useful to those fresh new grads who aspire to work at top consulting firms like Bain Capital and eventually become a CEO at a blue chip unicorn or F100.

For everyone else, it is completely irrelevant.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:00 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,396,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
If you're going to be in debt for the rest of your life, then your high GPA doesn't mean squat to me. Sorry, but it clearly has not set you apart from the rest of the pack. I probably had a lower GPA than your undergrad, but I'm debt free and have never had issues finding a good job. In my Master's program, I'm carrying a 4.0, so it clearly isn't due to a lack of ability or effort. I will also be nearly debt free at the end of that program.
But your undergraduate GPA will play a large part in where you are accepted to graduate school and the prestige of your advanced/grad degree can play a HUGE role in your job prospects for nearly the rest of your career.

Now I know many will cry "But I know plenty of people who went to low ranked grad programs and have been more successful than people who attended top programs." This is one of those situations where Americans seemingly struggle with statistics and probabilities.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:10 PM

880 posts, read 553,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm kind of torn by the whole thing with my biggest thought/concern being where someone got that GPA rather than the absolute value of it. Is a 3.5 from Tennessee Tech equal to a 3.5 from Georgia Tech? Does a 2.9 from TAMU beat a 3.1 from Alabama? Why would a 3.9 from CalTech even consider the job? Does Army beat Navy?

Yeah, I think they do. I've been in a number of fields... whether it's research, cybersecurity, even the entertainment industry.

As a person who's been responsible for validating candidates for particular technical jobs, we expect HR to validate and confirm the degrees. Generally though, I only see people advertising their GPA on a resume when it's 3.8 or higher... but I'll admit that I generally do not consider the GPA if it's blank... I'm assuming that if I'm interviewing you, you probably already have a high GPA.

Some people mention 4.5 and 5.9 GPAs... I have really no idea how this happens. I know that can happen in high school, but not really sure how that happens in college. I have several degrees, they're all 3.9+ and one with a straight 4.0. I don't even know HOW you could get above a 4.0 because there's no such thing as advanced placement in college... ? So... someone school me on this.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But your undergraduate GPA will play a large part in where you are accepted to graduate school and the prestige of your advanced/grad degree can play a HUGE role in your job prospects for nearly the rest of your career.

Now I know many will cry "But I know plenty of people who went to low ranked grad programs and have been more successful than people who attended top programs." This is one of those situations where Americans seemingly struggle with statistics and probabilities.
No one is arguing with the idea that GPA, school prestige, and grad school acceptance does not factor into your opportunities at the best of the best places for the best of the best roles.

I'm arguing against this notion that you are completely ****ed otherwise if you don't have all those things lined up.

I went to a better undergrad school than probably at least 80% of the people on this thread; I am confident in this because of the low acceptance rate to get in. I've had some nice jobs that paid well. But I've also worked for and with LOTS of people who didn't have degrees, or went to UPhoenix, or graduated from Generic State University.

If your goal is to become a F50 CEO/CFO, then by all means go to an Ivy, graduate at the top of your class, go work for Bain/McKinsey/etc., and trailblaze your path. The irony is that the vast majority of people on THIS forum are not those people either. And maybe that's part of the problem; this is what ignorant people think it takes to be successful in any role.

Everyone else will be just fine.

Last edited by modest; 08-23-2022 at 02:21 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I'm arguing against this notion that you are completely ****ed otherwise if you don't have all those things lined up.
Has anyone made that argument? That if you don't have a high GPA, then you're destined to a life of obscurity and destitution?

I noticed that the OP did say "unless you plan to go to grad school." That's becoming an ever greater share of the population since a bachelor's degree today is practically the new high school diploma. In nearly every major metro area, which is where the best jobs are, there's going to be a much higher percentage of grads with advanced degrees, and they get paid significantly more than people with only a bachelor's degree. It's almost mandatory for the vast majority of people today. That is, if they aspire to greater heights than human resources or the call center.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Has anyone made that argument? That if you don't have a high GPA, then you're destined to a life of obscurity and destitution?

I noticed that the OP did say "unless you plan to go to grad school." That's becoming an ever greater share of the population since a bachelor's degree today is practically the new high school diploma. In nearly every major metro area, which is where the best jobs are, there's going to be a much higher percentage of grads with advanced degrees, and they get paid significantly more than people with only a bachelor's degree. It's almost mandatory for the vast majority of people today. That is, if they aspire to greater heights than human resources or the call center.
More hubris and fear mongering.

Oh no, if you don't have that piece of paper that less than 10% of Americans have and like 15% of jobs require and that only increases your employability by about 3%, you're totally screwed!

You are way off base and misguided on this notion.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
More hubris and fear mongering.

Oh no, if you don't have that piece of paper that less than 10% of Americans have and like 15% of jobs require and that only increases your employability by about 3%, you're totally screwed!

You are way off base and misguided on this notion.
More reading miscomprehension on your part. Where did anyone say people with low GPAs or people without advanced degrees are "screwed"? I swear y'all can't read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education