Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 03:20 PM

19,501 posts, read 17,739,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Sure, and people who live active lives "tend" to live better and longer lives than people who don't, but not always. Tell me some actual news.

And I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you believe that the top .5% of the global population that fits that criteria is hanging out en masse on CDF. Lol. Please, do tell. You clearly know something I don't. Who runs this board? The Illuminati?

Aren't you an adjunct econ professor at some state uni in Texas? Where are all the Ivy educated CEOs?
People who are emotional, as you certainly are per this topic, refuse to see what others are writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 03:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,097,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
People who are emotional, as you certainly are per this topic, refuse to see what others are writing.
Yeah, you've made several comments about how only the cream of the crop get hired and are so much better off than everyone else, which is not true.

Some have said that a Master's degree will almost certainly be required for anyone living in a metro area if they want anything outside of human resources or call center work.

I think I'm responding to a lot of misinformed ideas from people who don't live in the "real" world and see it for how it actually is; who live in rural bubbles, or who suffer from psychological maladies like autism, paranoia, OCD, and other disorders. I think the internet has a tendency to draw together these types of people. And I think that's why it seems normal here.

But outside this tiny and shrinking CDF bubble, most of these concepts are ill informed and simply not true.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
a-n-e-c-d-o-t-a-l

The unemployment rate for bachelor's degree holders is ~3.7%. The median salary for BA/BS degree holders is around $65k per annum, which is not actually that bad in most of the US, especially if you're dual income, which would put you in the top 15% of household incomes. Not all those people were 4.0s from Ivies.

It's shocking how the economy even functions with the lack of 4.0s from Ivies, since apparently that's the only people who are considered for jobs.

1. You are so overwrought that you keep missing and or sidestepping my points.

2. My anecdote wrecks your previous declarative statement.

3. Here's another anecdote my son is a PGY5 neurosurgery resident. Do you think he would be there with a 2.7 undergrad? 3.1? 3.3? His UG GPA was 4.00.

4. My daughter is an MS-3 in medical school..........do you think she got there with a 2.5 UG GPA? Her UG GPA was 3.94 (or so).

I could go on and on with this.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
1. You are so overwrought that you keep missing and or sidestepping my points.

2. My anecdote wrecks your previous declarative statement.

3. Here's another anecdote my son is a PGY5 neurosurgery resident. Do you think he would be there with a 2.7 undergrad? 3.1? 3.3? His UG GPA was 4.00.

4. My daughter is an MS-3 in medical school..........do you think she got there with a 2.5 UG GPA? Her UG GPA was 3.94 (or so).

I could go on and on with this.
Good for your son and your daughter, god knows you're proud of them as often as you bring them up. It almost seems like you wish to live vicariously through them like a lot of parents who wished they'd done better.

Do you think that everyone in the world should set out to be a neurosurgeon or doctor? Do you even consider this possible?

It isn't.

But thankfully, those aren't the only professions to make a decent living with. You seem to not understand that there are other options, because you seem to think these other options are beneath you and your offspring.

If you want to top-rated doctor, then you best have a stellar academic track record. I am not disagreeing with that.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you've made several comments about how only the cream of the crop get hired, which is not true.

Some have said that a Master's degree will almost certainly be required for anyone living in a metro area if they want anything outside of human resources or call center work.

I think I'm responding to a lot of misinformed ideas from people who don't live in the "real" world and see it for how it actually is; who live in rural bubbles, or who suffer from psychological maladies like autism, paranoia, OCD, and other disorders. I think the internet has a tendency to draw together these types of people. And I think that's why it seems normal here.

But outside this tiny and shrinking CDF bubble, most of these concepts are ill informed and simply not true.

I said nothing of the sort. My point is that high GPA earners tend to get most of the best jobs per discipline and fill most of the best seats in grad and profession schools.

The other guy did not say what you claim either.

Rural bubbles? My metro has 7MM+ residents.

_________

The problem carrier per this thread is you - no one else. For starters stop twisting what other people are saying. No progress is possible until you relax and actually pay attention to what other are writing.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I said nothing of the sort. My point is that high GPA earners tend to get most of the best jobs per discipline and fill most of the best seats in grad and profession schools.

The other guy did not say what you claim either.

Rural bubbles? My metro has 7MM+ residents.

_________

The problem carrier per this thread is you - no one else. For starters stop twisting what other people are saying. No progress is possible until you relax and actually pay attention to what other are writing.
The other guy did say exactly what I quoted him as saying. And then he went off on a bunch of other unrelated tangents and then bolted.

The only reason you see me as a problem on the thread is because I'm not patronizing you and gobbling up your every word as gospel. Boo hoo!

Old 08-23-2022, 03:39 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,990,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

And that's my point exactly. Even if you have a 3.9 at Caltech or a 4.9 at MIT, most likely, you will end up working at the same employers as everybody else.
For Civil Engineering, Environmental, yes, mostly.

But that field isn't that high-brow or high paying, so most large companies retain a mish-mash of employees.

There may be a few boutique structural engineering firms that employ like 'the best of the best', but in general from what I've seen...

Yes, in general people with really good degrees and GPAs and those 'without' are applying for the same jobs eventually, but like I said, there's exceptions.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Good for your son and your daughter, god knows you're proud of them as often as you bring them up. It almost seems like you wish to live vicariously through them like a lot of parents who wished they'd done better.

Do you think that everyone in the world should set out to be a neurosurgeon or doctor? Do you even consider this possible?

It isn't.

But thankfully, those aren't the only professions to make a decent living with. You seem to not understand that there are other options, because you seem to think these other options are beneath you and your offspring.

If you want to top-rated doctor, then you best have a stellar academic track record. I am not disagreeing with that.

I am proud of my kids no question.

Most people simply do not have the brainpower and hardheadedness to become a doctor. That's just reality.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I am proud of my kids no question.

Most people simply do not have the brainpower and hardheadedness to become a doctor. That's just reality.
And I'm glad that you acknowledge that. For once, we agree on something.

And for (most of) those people, they find their niche in other areas like finance, accounting, sales, operations, client services, administration, teaching, the trades, etc. And some of them do very well, or well enough by their standards.

So to that point, does GPA matter outside of academia? Sometimes, sure. It depends on the field and aspirations. Most of the time, no, it does not. Neither OP's bureaucratic government agency with strict hiring practices or your children's aspirations to become top tier doctors represent the norm.

Last edited by modest; 08-23-2022 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
This thread is only useful to those fresh new grads who aspire to work at top consulting firms like Bain Capital and eventually become a CEO at a blue chip unicorn or F100.

For everyone else, it is completely irrelevant.
I do not agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education