Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 01:51 PM

1,241 posts, read 543,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not surprised to see right after elections.

Well if they don't allow the relief to go through, hopefully the changes they listed to be implemented by the summer will happen so that others don't get bogged down by student debt.

U.S. stops taking student debt forgiveness applications after ruling
The other prongs of changes (amending interest schedules, long term forgiveness timelines, expanding PSLF) should go through either way.

I do expect at least one more moratorium on collection of payments, at least while this works its way through the courts. I could also see an outcome where if the president and education secretary are barred from the creation of widespread forgiveness, they simply stop collecting payment on loans for those under the income threshold and allow the loans to age out to their existing forgiveness dates, or tweaking the income-driven plans to accomplish just that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 08:46 AM

24,371 posts, read 9,240,450 times
The Supreme Court has spoken.

Quote:
Supreme Court kills Biden student loan debt relief plan

The Supreme Court on Friday invalidated President Joe Biden’s student loan debt relief plan, meaning the long-delayed proposal intended to implement a campaign trail promise will not go into effect.

The justices, divided 6-3, ruled that the program was an unlawful exercise of presidential power because it had not been explicitly approved by Congress.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...1936#rcrd15244

Old 06-30-2023, 09:25 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,199,338 times
A few student loan borrowers just filled their Huggies.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:22 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,324,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
A few student loan borrowers just filled their Huggies.
Many college-educated borrowers spent the last 3 years taking on more debt, rather than take the opportunity to pay down the principal or invest the money.

Next up: Subsidized Huggies for people who got "tricked" by unscrupulous student loan lenders.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:00 AM

10,022 posts, read 7,168,058 times
Biden is already doing plan B.

Old 07-02-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Biden is already doing plan B.
I was against the original giveaway because it gave free money to people like my two grown sons, who don't need help.

If there really is a new plan, I hope it's more fair and targeted.

Old 07-02-2023, 06:04 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,168,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I was against the original giveaway because it gave free money to people like my two grown sons, who don't need help.

It's the same thing but using the Higher Education Act rather than the HEROES Act. It's a lot more involved that way. HEROES Act gave the president broad emergency power.

Old 07-02-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's the same thing but using the Higher Education Act rather than the HEROES Act. It's a lot more involved that way. HEROES Act gave the president broad emergency power.
I haven't seen the details yet, but if it really is "the same thing, only different" then I'll probably be against it. Why do 43 million people need help? Wasn't 3-plus years of interest holiday help enough? We are in an economy that's supposed to be great, and employers are begging for workers. But college graduates still need help? Makes no sense.

Old 07-02-2023, 10:18 PM

31,676 posts, read 26,605,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

Why would you think that when same loon and staff who created first plan are at it again?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...oan-borrowers/

https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/save-plan

What it basically amounts to is Biden is still going to have loans "forgiven" but eventually instead of at once.

Meanwhile everyone else including those still paying Sallie Mae student loans are on hook for costs of Biden's folly.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why would you think that when same loon and staff who created first plan are at it again?
The voters will be at it again in 2024. 81 million people voted for free college last time. What will the number be this time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education