Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 02:35 PM

12,098 posts, read 16,975,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
How are you on the guitar? It's something I've been trying to pick up a lot more these days, especially with remote work. It's something I wished I had picked up earlier in life, but no time is better than the present.

Have you played any live shows, say at a bar or something? It sounds like it could be a good outlet for you.
I've been playing for a long time, I'm decent, but it's harder to earn a living playing music. Like everything else, nobody wants to spend money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 02:49 PM

Education is a business just everything else... just like your company and your job.

New teachers may be excited, but have no power or influence, and may soon burn out. Or lose steam once they figure out what their actual job entails.

Some experienced teachers may be burnt out and just want to get out of there with the least amount of effort and thinking possible (re-using old tests etc) or just want to reach their pension. And the teachers who still care work many more hours and feel like doormats in comparison to the people who only put in 30-40 hours while the teachers who put in the least hours say ... 'I'm just smarter and more efficient.'

Administrators at every level may not have stood in front of a classroom for over a decade but still make rules that make things more difficult for teachers without caring about actual teacher input ... AND also are just primarily interested in collecting their six figure salaries and not being hassled. Or worse .. may not do much at all, but still collect large salaries which reduces the budget and makes everybody else's job harder.

Not saying EVERYBODY is like that, but the same forces that exist in your corporate workplace, exist in the education system and serve to bog down the mission.

Last edited by jobaba; 09-16-2022 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 03:24 PM

4,817 posts, read 6,822,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I've been playing for a long time, I'm decent, but it's harder to earn a living playing music. Like everything else, nobody wants to spend money.
I played as a part time, weekend musician for 15 years during my young life. We made a LOT more money then compared to now. More venues, NO DJ's, all wedding dances had bands, very few clubs made you fill out a W-9 so most all gigs were cash, and I believe there were less bands and less competition.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:34 PM

27,215 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) the schools are not preparing students for college
Call me crazy, but I always thought it was the student's responsibility to prepare for college by getting a high GPA and SAT score.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Call me crazy, but I always thought it was the student's responsibility to prepare for college by getting a high GPA and SAT score.
That would be crazy (and very easy too).

GPA alone is no measure of college preparedness.

But I do have friend's kids 'public educated' overseas who scored perfect scores on their (easy) USA ACT and SAT. That too is not a measure for College readiness. Maybe academic capability, but not ready / prepared for college. Certainly not ready / prepared for life / career / edu choices related to college, or post HS life on their own. (Including daily financial management).

School is not doing that for our USA kids, nor should it be expected to. Parents and substitute parent mentors (and sometimes employers or military) fill that role. Schools could simply educate, that would be a big help and benefit to the students.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:00 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
No school? Hasn't anyone seen the shows where college students are asked what countries are on their borders. They say "Europe" and can't name Canada or Mexico.
Or they are asked who fought in the Civil War (they say France and "us") or the American Revolutionary War and they don't even know what it was about or when it happened or why. And they can't point to where the USA is on a global map.

Looks more like there should be a much better curriculum instead of implying that school is a waste of time.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
No school? Hasn't anyone seen the shows where college students are asked what countries are on their borders. They say "Europe" and can't name Canada or Mexico.
I believe that Tonight Show stuff is highly, highly edited for effect.

Everybody knows that garbage. Well ... 90% of people who were born here/grew up here can point out at least a few countries on a map of the world. Foreigners get a pass for various reasons.

For the country one, they probably have to be out there all day just to get a few people who cannot answer.

Especially now with the internet, you become familiar with countries just thinking of places you want to travel (even if you never actually go).

Last edited by jobaba; 09-16-2022 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 04:49 PM

7,257 posts, read 3,485,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
College debt isn't even the real problem.
Very true.

Quote:
The real problem is twofold -- too many people going to college who shouldn't...
Very true.

Quote:
and the rapid increase in college costs.
Very true.

Quote:
Much of which is driven by the reduction in state funds for public colleges over the past 30 years or so. Those are the issues we should be focused on, not a temporary patch that doesn't help yesterday's students or tomorrow's. Just today's.
I believe much of the increase in costs has been driven by the availability of scholarships, grants, and Federally Insured Student Loans (before such things were nationalized) and student loans in general since then. Academic studies show that for every extra dollar of scholarship grants, universities respond by raising tuition/room/board by at least 65 cents - and possibly as much as 85 cents.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
I checked (3) neighboring colleges to my mechanical engineering degree.
College costs are still within 10% ratio of current starting wages vs 40 yr ago wages. But of course there are a lot of free college options. Most are overseas, but excellent academic rating, and career potential.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:31 PM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Another thing that schools need to be better about is career advice post graduation. I went to a pretty good school, and their career center was a complete laughing stock. I probably could have applied for better paying jobs, but I didn't really know what I should pursue at the time. If I had gotten into a good career track out the gate, imagine what that could have done for my earning potential later in life. But, because I didn't know anything about careers, I got taken advantage of early on; undervalued and underpaid. If it wasn't for job hopping for better opportunities, I probably would be lamenting my student loans still today. It took me about five years post graduation to get a good grip on the job market and my career track and my value. Thank god I had the fortitude and wherewithal to do that and make up for lost time.
Even in my time in the late 80s the main focus of the guidance counselor was college. Never once mentioning military nor trade schools. Our school did have typing, home economics, and shop. My senior year we finally had a computer programming class which I also took. Another “elective” was personal finance. That course should have been a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education