Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 03:34 AM

6,907 posts, read 6,816,966 times

Advertisements

There is a war going on and humans have not yet won...The prize is trash in wheelie-bins. Surely this must be quite an easy problem to solve? Maybe there is a Reddit area to suggest solutions?

Live Science link

Quote:
Study participants described more than 50 different ways in which they tried to protect their trash cans from the cockatoos, Klump said. These countermeasures ranged from simple solutions, such as weighing down the lid with bricks or water bottles, to more ingenious ideas, such as jamming a lid's hinge with sticks and old shoes or using a rubber snake to scare off the birds. Some residents even purchased special bin locks, similar to those used to deter bears from rummaging through trash in the U.S. and Canada, that clamped the lid to the receptacle.
I think we need to use interesting puzzles like this to create learning opportunities and to inspire kids to put their brains to work. I am sure if I had this kind of puzzle when I was at school, school would have been a much more interesting, fun and dynamic place to be. It would also promote discussion and innovation too which is what we need these days.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:47 AM

7,967 posts, read 7,322,248 times
I pour a bit of ammonia on my wheelie-bin lid to keep the bears out. So far it's worked. Or is outdoor use of ammonia illegal in Australia?
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education