U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 09:19 AM

12,426 posts, read 12,939,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
One also needs to consider "What is an educated populace?"

USA certainly does not have an educated electorate, or politicians educated and qualified to hold office. (But advertising works pretty well)

Colleges don't seem be 'educating' for responsible citizenry, careers, financial skills.
Colleges didn't educate for the vast number of entrepreneurs who choose to drop out of college, and get on with being successful.
Colleges don't seem to be improving the academic level of our USA K-12.

so... it's just possible... that 'college' (in the USA) does not equal and educated populace.
Educational opportunities are there for those who seek them. My kids both were able to take advantage of college credit classes while they were in HS. One has already graduated college early and the other will be graduating early, too.

Parents need to teach their kids to be responsible citizens and they should also be teaching their kids how to budget and other basic financial skills. Many school districts now include a personal finance class as a graduation requirement but that really needs to be backed up at home with life lessons - allowances, odd jobs, summer jobs, PT jobs after school, a savings account, etc.

As a person who dropped out of college and never completed my degree I can tell you that not having a degree limits you. You might have lots of work experience but you may not be eligible for a promotion to a certain position unless you have a college degree. I ran into that sort of thing when I was working full time.

My recent college graduate had doors open for him once he obtained his degree. His college education also prepared him to study and achieve the additional certifications needed in his line of work.

And if he winds up hating his office job, he still has the option of going to trade school if that's what he wants to do. The more options you have, the better in my opinion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 01:01 PM

5,345 posts, read 2,603,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Can I ask an honest question? I graduated college in the early aughts with an English degree. No, I’m not a teacher but I do make over six figures. Full disclosure: I did get an MBA, but I honestly don’t think it makes a huge difference in my field. Three of my other friends majored in Communications, Psych/Soc and Political Science and they all earn six figures plus. Can students no longer major in liberal arts like we did and still find good jobs? I see a lot of parents saying they won’t pay unless their student’s chosen degree is STEM or business and I’m sure part of that is due to the crazy tuition rates but is it also because you can no longer major in pretty much anything like we did and still end up with a well-paying job?
In CD world, STEM degrees are considered the best and Art history (my major) is considered the worse.

My kids graduated in late 2010's. Both were liberal arts majors and followed by grad school. They love their jobs. I never suggested a STEM major. I supported what they succeeded in.

There are left and right brain people. The best careers are based on utilizing talents and strengths of the individual. There are people with lower incomes who love their lifestyle. There are wealthy people who hate their stressful lives.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-26-2022 at 01:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education