U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 02:48 PM

11,377 posts, read 8,842,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No, I don't object to them working to earn money......I do object to them working without money being part of the contract, that people will be nice enough to always give them donations.
And they are - our library has a fundraiser and people will hand over 100 dollar bills to help us out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 03:30 PM

2,836 posts, read 1,899,017 times
Two years' learning loss, astronomical college tuition, vaccination requirements that offer nothing but down downside risk to kids and other kookiness of recent vintage are more concerning to me than car wash fundraisers.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:43 AM
Status: "Let's Get Biden To Quit Immediately, America. Amen." (set 22 days ago)

18,644 posts, read 16,662,427 times
Who is paying for the water? If it is the public school, they yeah, you have a right to be upset because you are paying for it. If it is a private business or a personal residence, the cost is on them. They are basically donating the water to the charity.

If you are upset about the waste of water, maybe you could suggest at your city council meeting that car washes be banned. Do you have commercial car washes in your area? I bet they use a lot more water than a charity car wash.

As for "teaching environment", I can't think of a better lesson than working makes money.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:09 PM

10,999 posts, read 11,490,837 times
Of course water isn't free. But it's also the cheapest utility in my area and we do not currently have a drought. I just came back from a high school car wash and the kids were great. They were using non-toxic environment-friendly cleaners and reusable cloths. Most high school kids get to see their parents paying bills. I don't really understand the point of this post. This hand-washing uses less water than a commercial car wash. The only thing was the kids couldn't vacuum the interior of the car like in a commercial car wash. The commercial car wash costs $35 just to wash the exterior and the kids charged $10.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:09 PM

3,055 posts, read 881,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No doubt we have all seen it, the cheerleaders, the band, some student group out there on Saturday holding a car wash, maybe free for donations.

I rather cringe at that, especially if it is for free and donations, for only those who have never lived in drought conditions believe that water is free. In a drought, one should not be doing car washes but if they are, at least charge up front.

In a world of dwindling resources and rising prices, are we doing the young a disservice by not teaching them what is the cost of basic living?
Maybe it's a Texas thing? I haven't seen a car wash fundraiser since I was a teenager growing up in the Midwest. I've never seen one here in Colorado.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:27 AM

5,411 posts, read 2,651,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Maybe it's a Texas thing? I haven't seen a car wash fundraiser since I was a teenager growing up in the Midwest. I've never seen one here in Colorado.
It's big in New York, but we don't have water conservation issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education