Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 04:38 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,413,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Even if there is no lockdown, kids are sent home way more often when they are sick. There is a lot more absenteeism, which results in learning losses.
Certainly that has happened this year in the main states here. My grandkids got a second Covid dose where they were almost without symptoms and had to stay home a week. (That rule no longer applies)

But Tasmania kept Covid out almost completely until they opened up last December. They have had 186 deaths total. But it did not help their results compared to the mainland. Other factors at play, it would seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 05:25 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,130,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Certainly that has happened this year in the main states here. My grandkids got a second Covid dose where they were almost without symptoms and had to stay home a week. (That rule no longer applies)

But Tasmania kept Covid out almost completely until they opened up last December. They have had 186 deaths total. But it did not help their results compared to the mainland. Other factors at play, it would seem.
There are so many possibilities, but I'm wondering if anxiety has had something to do with it. Anxiety impairs learning and test performance, and we've certainly had opportunity to feel a lot of it over these past few years.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:45 PM

10,003 posts, read 7,139,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
There are so many possibilities, but I'm wondering if anxiety has had something to do with it. Anxiety impairs learning and test performance, and we've certainly had opportunity to feel a lot of it over these past few years.
Speaking anecdotally, I'm seeing student anxiety off the charts and the worst student preparation I've seen in my career. My older colleagues who have been around since the 90s said it's by far the worst they've ever seen.

The entire system has been dealt a serious gut punch.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:48 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,413,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Yes, could be. We had lunch with friends from Tasmania on the weekend. It was her first trip to the mainland for three years. They told us the details of their three day lockdown and seemed a lot more anxious about Covid than us. We had 100 days lockdown last year to their three but we hardly think about the virus any more.

Perhaps the families down there were anxious for longer with the effort of keeping it at bay. Which can certainly affect performance.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. The latest report I saw this week said the effects are world-wide.
The (4) countries I've visiting in western Europe this month are not suffering greatly from Covid EDU decline.
The societies are FAR more adapted to living with and beyond Covid. No bitter and divisive hatred experienced so far. (Unlike the USA which is highly 'on-edge', and many people falling over the edge. (Such as school children, teachers, administrators).)

It is a breath of fresh air to be within a pleasant and peaceful society for a change.

I foresee another significant USA shortfall in EDU. (And excuses will generously flow from the EDU and political spectrum)

Old 11-07-2022, 01:36 PM

10,168 posts, read 4,109,721 times
so they fell to the lowest point since the DoE was blown up in 1993? I can buy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education