Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 01:39 PM

16,890 posts, read 16,161,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My children are past this stage, but I think a lot of this rote learning is now discouraged with common core and "new math" techniques. I know there were certain ways they tried to teach my kids to factor algebraic equations, which while I'm sure they make sense on some levels, were completely backwards to me. I was taught to manipulate the various factors of the constants in order to factor which was easy to do because of all the time spent drilling on multiplication/division tables.
All of that new math gets tossed out the window as soon as the kids advance to a higher math level. The trick is getting them past that new math crappola. Once you do that, it's back to regular math...or they use a calculator.

They should be learning their math facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 03:52 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
What is the cause? Can it be fixed?

Kids staring at their cell phones all day? I took a few graduate courses after I retired and it was pretty funny to sit in class and look around and see all the students staring at their cell phones.

We used to actually talk to each other before class. That's my old man coming out! LOL

Old 10-13-2022, 03:52 PM

88,556 posts, read 44,263,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
https://www.axios.com/2022/10/12/act...niors-covid-19

The pandemic closures caused a MESS.

This is the first cohort that had 2 whole years disrupted by Covid. I expect this is going to get worse before it gets better.
It's not just the pandemic. Scores were declining before that.

Quote:
"This is the fifth consecutive year of declines in average scores, a worrisome trend that began long before the disruption of the COVID-19 pandemic and has persisted," said ACT CEO Janet Godwin.

"The magnitude of the declines this year is particularly alarming, as we see rapidly growing numbers of seniors leaving high school without meeting the college-readiness benchmark in any of the subjects we measure," she said. "These declines are not simply a by-product of the pandemic. They are further evidence of longtime systemic failures that were exacerbated by the pandemic. A return to the pre-pandemic status quo would be insufficient and a disservice to students and educators."
https://www.insidehighered.com/admis...at-scores-fall

Welcome to an America intentionally dumbed-down by educators whose goal in dumbing everyone down was equal educational outcomes which they then thought would result in more socioeconomic equality and greater social cohesion. Of course, neither has happened. All we got from this idiotic attempt at social engineering in our country's K-12 education system is a severely dumbed-down populace.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:58 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,573,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not just the pandemic. Scores were declining before that.

https://www.insidehighered.com/admis...at-scores-fall

Welcome to an America intentionally dumbed-down by educators whose goal in dumbing everyone down was equal educational outcomes which they then thought would result in more socioeconomic equality and greater social cohesion. Of course, neither has happened. All we got from this idiotic attempt at social engineering in our country's K-12 education system is a severely dumbed-down populace.
I think it’s also important to note that the number of students actually taking these tests have dramatically decreased. There are colleges that are no longer requiring it, and I think during the past few years, some students have just decided to forego college entirely or take some gap time until they are more sure they can get what they pay for.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:10 PM

88,556 posts, read 44,263,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think it’s also important to note that the number of students actually taking these tests have dramatically decreased. There are colleges that are no longer requiring it, and I think during the past few years, some students have just decided to forego college entirely or take some gap time until they are more sure they can get what they pay for.
None of that has anything to do with what is causing the scores to fall since way before the pandemic.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:18 PM

383 posts, read 176,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Kids staring at their cell phones all day? I took a few graduate courses after I retired and it was pretty funny to sit in class and look around and see all the students staring at their cell phones.

We used to actually talk to each other before class. That's my old man coming out! LOL

I'm 32 and feel like an "old man" :/

Old 10-13-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
None of that has anything to do with what is causing the scores to fall since way before the pandemic.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=897 - here are the facts. It isn’t like the score drops were precipitous. I think that it has also been offered digitally for some students since 2019. The numbers don’t indicate what percentage of students take it online. I found for me there was a big speed difference between the online GRE and paper tests I did. It is a bit concerning that the ACT is not all or nothing though.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:55 PM

19,489 posts, read 17,717,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=897 - here are the facts. It isn’t like the score drops were precipitous. I think that it has also been offered digitally for some students since 2019. The numbers don’t indicate what percentage of students take it online. I found for me there was a big speed difference between the online GRE and paper tests I did. It is a bit concerning that the ACT is not all or nothing though.
Just a point the '21 to '22 drop was massive.

ETA - checked to be sure '21-'22 saw a full 1/2pt drop.

Last edited by EDS_; 10-13-2022 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-13-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just a point the '21 to '22 drop was massive.

ETA - check to be sure '21-'22 saw a full 1/2pt drop.
I am not disputing the drop since after the pandemic, but that poster was pointing to some precipitous drop before. It wasn’t really that precipitous.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:08 PM

10,406 posts, read 7,502,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

You might be on to something there. As the article in orginal post mentioned, and I will quote below, this trend started several years before Covid.

One local HS science teacher requires students to turn in their cellphones during class time. I'm all in favor of that.

I helped proctor the PSAT test yesterday. It was a good turnout, but many kids "finished" the last portion, math calculator section, well before the 45 minutes alloted had expired. Obviously, they didn't know how to do many of the problems.

"..The big picture: ACT test scores have been on the decline for at least five years, Godwin said, adding that it is "a worrisome trend that began long before the disruption of the COVID-19 pandemic, and has persisted."

"These declines are not simply a byproduct of the pandemic. They are further evidence of longtime systemic failures that were exacerbated by the pandemic."
The number of students taking the ACT has declined 30% since 2018, AP reports..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education