Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 12:47 AM

24,606 posts, read 9,442,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
If you're drowning in student debt until you're 40, that probably deserves some sympathy instead of antipathy.
Sympathy nor antipathy will pay off that debt. No one is special, and plenty of folks had to pay it off in their 40s.

Quote:
He (Obama) and his wife Michelle both had to take out loans to fund their educations, and the couple had “barely finished” paying them off by 2005, when he was 44 and she was 41.
Quote:
While on the campaign trail in 2015 at the age of 44, the presidential candidate (Ted Cruz) spoke at Liberty University and alluded to his experience of having to finance his education: I, Cruz said, “took over $100,000 in school loans, loans I suspect a lot of y’all can relate to, loans that I’ll point out I just paid off a few years ago.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/12/4-ce...their-40s.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 06:18 PM

37,799 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That depends on what they know about survival. Blue collar or white collar really isn't an indication of survival knowledge. Personally, I want the Professor off Gilligan's Island.
Perfect example of someone who knows a lot not being able to apply what he knows...of course, if the show wasn't so successful, he might have gotten them off the island before the first season ended.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:57 AM

863 posts, read 865,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
To claim a relationship between geography and education is illogical and ignorant. The value of education is passed on from parent to child regardless of location. It's a family value that successful families have in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
To claim that cultural values regarding education have no relationship to factors which include, but are absolutely not limited to, geographic region, is illogical and ignorant.
Thanks, I see we agree that culture is important in education. Where we disagree is closely culture is tied to geography in the modern US. That might have been true 100 years ago but in 2022 an overwhelming majority of residents of the Southern and Western US are originally from the North Eastern Corridor or trace their recent family history and cultural values back to it. It's a novelty to find a native born or someone with family ties to the old south.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:46 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
Colleges & universities don't exist in a vacuum from the rest of society & culture.

They come out of the same cultural milieu, the same cultural context & perspective as all the other societal institutions.

Ideally, they can be places for debate & discussion, critique & criticism, but this may not always be the case in practicality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education