U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2022, 07:00 PM
 
Location: NMB, SC
29,460 posts, read 9,806,829 times
Reputation: 26997

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Are you skipping 'algebraic concepts' as they relate to physics?? Either way, I'm with Ruth again. It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that a 4 year old throwing a ball to daddy is even remotely aware of either. And as a former 4 year old, I can assure you that my dad never mentioned it.
Tell that to the Education big wigs who think algebraic concepts should start in elementary even though it's not until middle school when kids start to grasp "abstract" concepts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2022, 09:47 PM
 
3,048 posts, read 1,115,142 times
Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not true except in the case of construction. Children throw balls in spite of not having studied algebra. Most people who cook, shop, hang a painting and drive don't use algebra in pursuing those activities.
Do those same people who cook, shop, hang a painting and drive use, say, US History? Or Civics?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2022, 10:46 PM
 
10,919 posts, read 7,001,580 times
Reputation: 30232
I googled 3rd grade math worksheets. The first example:
Dang it! Can't type the division symbol used.

50 / _____ = 25

How is that different from:

50 / x = 25 ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2022, 11:16 PM
 
Location: NMB, SC
29,460 posts, read 9,806,829 times
Reputation: 26997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I googled 3rd grade math worksheets. The first example:
Dang it! Can't type the division symbol used.

50 / _____ = 25

How is that different from:

50 / x = 25 ?
It's not. That is the algebraic concept


It used to be more along the lines of i

50/2= _
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 08:08 AM
 
10,919 posts, read 7,001,580 times
Reputation: 30232
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's not. That is the algebraic concept


It used to be more along the lines of i

50/2= _
Even when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade we got things along the lines of
Something math operation box = something.
Kids could do it. But replace the box with x and people lost their minds. They couldn't grasp that a letter could represent a number. To me that's where a lot of the "can't do abstract algebra " phobia starts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 09:14 AM
 
16,190 posts, read 14,696,611 times
Reputation: 14607
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Even when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade we got things along the lines of
Something math operation box = something.
Kids could do it. But replace the box with x and people lost their minds. They couldn't grasp that a letter could represent a number. To me that's where a lot of the "can't do abstract algebra " phobia starts.
"What's the vector, Victor?"

____________

Oh shoot, I started the Jame Bond with too 1.25X too much vodka what do I do? The guy/gal with zero algebra would trash it in frustration and start over. The guy/gal with a glimpse into algebra with simply use 1.25x as a multiplier and make it work. Stipulation I realize a few recipes do not scale up or down as easily.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2022, 07:31 AM
 
Location: midwest
1,594 posts, read 1,312,210 times
Reputation: 970
Science fiction in the 40s, 50s and early 60s was different from what most of it is today. Of course it was mostly written by White Men who were almost certainly racists but they had a different attitude about science and technology than what you will get today.


Check out: A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C Clarke



It is very funny since he writes about infrared and Lagrange points and we now have the James Webb Space Telescope at the Earth-Sun L2 point doing infrared telescopy. Clarke would love it.


SF was invaded by literary intellectuals who didn't know much science writing what they called science fiction. Someone told me that Isaac Asimov couldn't write. So what really matters in SF, the science or the writing?


Compare The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin to Voyage from Yesteryear by James P Hogan. Both are about socio-economic dichotomies but I would bet that Hogan knew more about technology and economics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2022, 08:25 AM
 
10,919 posts, read 7,001,580 times
Reputation: 30232
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Science fiction in the 40s, 50s and early 60s was different from what most of it is today. Of course it was mostly written by White Men who were almost certainly racists but they had a different attitude about science and technology than what you will get today.


Check out: A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C Clarke



It is very funny since he writes about infrared and Lagrange points and we now have the James Webb Space Telescope at the Earth-Sun L2 point doing infrared telescopy. Clarke would love it.


SF was invaded by literary intellectuals who didn't know much science writing what they called science fiction. Someone told me that Isaac Asimov couldn't write. So what really matters in SF, the science or the writing?

.
Checkout Space Cadet by Heinlein, originally written in 1948. In it he has the Space Patrol headquarter in Colorado just east of Pike's Peak. In one of the very opening scenes he has the newly arriving cadets talking on his portable phone and another mentioning he packed his so his parents couldn't call.

Today the Space Force is currently in Colorado Springs and cell phones are everywhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top