U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 08:23 AM

4,104 posts, read 2,321,311 times

Advertisements

I_Play_Poker,

Thank you for sharing. My coworkers tried to say going downhill is a negative in the sense going down steps is more challenging than up steps!

I said, "it is?!?..... All you do is let gravity assist you down. Less muscles involved."

The response was, "and if you trip, you can potentially trip down a bunch of stairs. No one ever trips UPHILL like that!"

Ha ha. I guess that's true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 08:28 AM

luv4horses, you are right.

As I_Play_Poker said, language changes over time. To be "down" is both sad, OR to be willing to do something.

I wonder if they made an Airplane 2022 movie, what those 2 "Jive" guys would be sayin!? My friends loved it when they'd say, "sheeeeiiiitt" and below the translation said, "Golly."

Old 11-05-2022, 08:31 AM

oceangaia, good morning.

Oh COME on! They equated uphill being a positive with the analogy of a skier goes up to the top of the hill with ease via a ski lift, and yet downhill implies a chance they're possibly going to hit a tree.. .. You think I'm going to convince them otherwise? lol

Thanks for jumping on board to share!

Old 11-05-2022, 02:17 PM

29 posts, read 10,763 times
I've always used "it's all downhill from here" in a negative sense. I tell my nephews that my 20's were the best years of my life, and it was all downhill from there, so enjoy yourself.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:20 PM

21,836 posts, read 10,020,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyanylitics View Post
I've always used "it's all downhill from here" in a negative sense. I tell my nephews that my 20's were the best years of my life, and it was all downhill from there, so enjoy yourself.
I've heard downhill used both ways, depending on if it relates to completing the hardest part or completing the best part, but I've never heard uphill mean anything positive. Not to be confused with "moving up".

Old 11-05-2022, 05:28 PM

5,276 posts, read 2,683,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyanylitics View Post

That's the only way I've ever heard it used. As in you spend a better part of your life or any time span trying to 'climb' the hill and then at some point you've gone as far as you can and your decline begins.

Generally speaking downward movement is viewed negatively even though it technically is 'easier' to move down than to move up. However it's perhaps not entirely unrelated. After all why do people make the effort to go uphill in the 1st place? Because there's something desirable at the top of the hill. Reaching the summit is used as a metaphor for achieving any kind of goal. Once you've achieved your ultimate goal there's nothing better out there, so it can only get worse by default. Going downhill is easy but it also ends at the bottom i.e. the ending point which can be interpreted as death or defeat, a bad position in life etc.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:24 PM

200 posts, read 90,364 times
I agree with you OP. It refers to how much of the day in this case is left. First half day is uphill secndis downhill can refer to career or contractnperiod with same concept, half way point is when you say downhill in all cases in my experience.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:30 PM

7,016 posts, read 2,851,752 times
I have never used or heard used the phrase, "It is all downhill from here", to mean things are getting better or easier.

I have always used it or heard it used to mean things are getting worse. Such as people saying that their body was great when they were young, but now that they are old, "It is all downhill from here", meaning worse. Like "Once you are 40 years old, it is all downhill from there."

Who uses the term "It is all downhill from here" in a positive context? That is new to me. I can see how it could be used that way. It takes effort to walk up hill while going back down is easier.

I have just never heard anybody use it in that context. I have heard "It is smooth sailing from here on out." "We are over the hump".

Old 11-05-2022, 10:17 PM

Johnhw222, thank you for having my back!

Old 11-05-2022, 10:19 PM

Igor Blevin, good day.

I'm happy to see, based on many responses here, that I am NOT the only one to use it's all downhill, regarding the time question I raised.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education