U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 AM

1,093 posts, read 2,699,613 times
My school's degree in it is called "Information Reporting Technology"
they make it sound all professional and stuff..

Pixie~are you going to get the associates or get certified and try to get a job THEN finish up the associates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 08:24 PM

119 posts, read 614,122 times
I'm a court reporter and love it. You can make a great living if you are in the right area. Some areas of the country are not that great though for court reporting. I made $40,000 my first year out of school and it has only gone up.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 AM

2,094 posts, read 4,441,924 times
Snowflake, where are you a court reporter? Yes, I've heard that that's approximately what most will start at their first year out (I think it's a nice round number to start with )

Poprocks - we have several references to it...when I started you either defined yourself as being a Court Reporter or Court Stenographer. Now, it can be called court/conference reporting or other areas of it are judicial reporting (your usual court reporting), broadcast captioning (what we see under our tv screen for closed captioning), CART (communication access realtime reporting) which is used for the hearing impaired such as high school or college students...there's a few more, but these are the most in demand. However, we do not receive a "degree" when we graduate, we receive a "diploma" and we are qualified to take the state certification and/or national certification exams. However, you can work as a court reporter prior to taking those exams as well. I don't know how you are doing it, if it's the same as here, but for me in Jersey, when I'm at the point where I can start working (sometimes you can before you graduate) and do my internship as well, I'm going to go with one of the agencies here. Once I get my "diploma" and qualify, I'm immediately going to request my chance to take my state certification (and national if I can...if not, then I'll sign up for national as soon as I pass state). I don't plan on wasting any time getting as far as I possibly can with this career, as I feel I already could've been there had I not taken 8 years off. Like I said, I don't regret my decisions, however, now it's time to get back on track...fast.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 PM

166 posts, read 693,090 times
My mom started out as a court reporter in NYC since the 70's. When she heard that she didn't need to be a college graduate, but could make more money than a college grad...she jumped on it.

She moved down to Miami in the late 70's and has been working in Miami ever since. She is probably one of the top earners as a court reporter. She makes one of the highest salaries. She loves money and will put work before anything. There is a lot of potential if you want to work a lot. Also, she works in the Miami-Dade County circuit court. That courthouse has the worst criminals. If you don't mind hearing about sick gang rapes and the most horrendous murders you would do quite well. How many people want to hear teenage girls cry and talk about how they were gang raped and stabbed. She used to talk to me about all that stuff when I was a kid but I almost threw up.

Now that I am older I can handle it much better. It's a job that can be very emotional, if your in those type of courts, but if you like to earn a lot of money...say like 1.5k to 2k a week, you may want to take those cases. She does make a lot of money though.

I don't know if I could handle kids crying as they explain how they were gang raped but it's money.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:38 PM

2,094 posts, read 4,441,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
My mom started out as a court reporter in NYC since the 70's. When she heard that she didn't need to be a college graduate, but could make more money than a college grad...she jumped on it.

She moved down to Miami in the late 70's and has been working in Miami ever since. She is probably one of the top earners as a court reporter. She makes one of the highest salaries. She loves money and will put work before anything. There is a lot of potential if you want to work a lot. Also, she works in the Miami-Dade County circuit court. That courthouse has the worst criminals. If you don't mind hearing about sick gang rapes and the most horrendous murders you would do quite well. How many people want to hear teenage girls cry and talk about how they were gang raped and stabbed. She used to talk to me about all that stuff when I was a kid but I almost threw up.

Now that I am older I can handle it much better. It's a job that can be very emotional, if your in those type of courts, but if you like to earn a lot of money...say like 1.5k to 2k a week, you may want to take those cases. She does make a lot of money though.

I don't know if I could handle kids crying as they explain how they were gang raped but it's money.
Thanks for the info. I agree, it's hard to have a stomach when hearing such things. Fortunately, if you're looking at it from a financial perspective, you learn to tune it out. Having gone to some school for it already, you become almost robotic in your typing skills, it's just words and phonetics. You are trained to tune out the actuality of what you're hearing. Unfortunately, however, those are the horrible things that this country has to deal with and I pray we find some "cure" for this madness soon. However, the benefit to having a job like this in that sense is that you are helping put these sick people behind bars and hopefully preventing more children and even adults from being hurt.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,094,164 times
I'm a court reporting school drop out. Dang, that's a difficult skill to acquire! I got to 125 words per minute. In this state you have to get to 225 in order to sit for the test. I paid my $10k in student loans back for my one year of court reporting school (plus of course that upgraded machine they say you must have).

When I went (early 90s) there was a 92% drop out rate for court reporters (nationally). Many schools went out of business. I hope it's better now for you! They told me that people who can play the piano or type really fast are the best candidates for court reporting school. I tend to overthink everything and it slows me down. I know a girl who finished in 2 years, the school's record. I was so impressed. She makes good money doing it in Colorado.

Anyway, after I quit that I went and got a paralegal certificate instead. Good luck to you and stay focused and PRACTICE a lot!!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM

26 posts, read 161,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I'm a court reporting school drop out. Dang, that's a difficult skill to acquire! I got to 125 words per minute. In this state you have to get to 225 in order to sit for the test. I paid my $10k in student loans back for my one year of court reporting school (plus of course that upgraded machine they say you must have).

When I went (early 90s) there was a 92% drop out rate for court reporters (nationally). Many schools went out of business. I hope it's better now for you! They told me that people who can play the piano or type really fast are the best candidates for court reporting school. I tend to overthink everything and it slows me down. I know a girl who finished in 2 years, the school's record.I was so impressed. She makes good money doing it in Colorado.

Anyway, after I quit that I went and got a paralegal certificate instead. Good luck to you and stay focused and PRACTICE a lot!!

Which school may I ask? The CR school in Westminsiter? Thanks!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,094,164 times
No, it was in Richardson, TX and it's out of business now.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 27,049 times
Default Digital Court Reporting

I have the utmost respect for anyone who has made it through court reporting school. It's something that requires much hard work and dedication. However, not everyone that has a passion for a career in court reporting is able to realize that dream. A natural alternative for such people is digital court reporting. Digital reporting utilizes many of the same skill sets taught to court reporters and DOESN'T COST ANYTHING TO GET STARTED. Digital reporters receive paid training (as apposed to paying to go to school), do not have to pay for their own equipment (it is provided by the company), and are able to start taking jobs in less than one month!

I manage the Florida office of Continental Reporting Service. CRS has been in business over 20 years and currently employs both court reporters and digital court reporters. Entry level Digital reporters make $20/hour. The digital reporting unit we use is vastly different from those that are hard-wired into court rooms. It is completely portable and is monitored by the reporter while he/she types time stamped notes throughout the deposition.

I am currently hiring digital reporters to work out of our Hollywood, FL office. Positions in Seattle, WA and other cities will soon be available.

Feel free to contact me @ Jared@CRSDeps.com to find out more about digital reporting or to inquire about how to become a digital reporter.

-Jared Sandel, Manager/Florida Operations

Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 17,041 times
Default Yes me Too

Well i am interested to know i you started back up? I also have two kids and I am starting court reporting school in January. I am pretty excited about it.
I went to college when I was 19 and dropped out. I had no one to really push me through it and being an adult was more apealing to me at the time than being a student. I had my first son at age 20. I finally mustered up the courage to go back to school for one semester when he was about three years old. I dont even remember why but i never went back. Then I enrolled in a court reporting class and low and behold I was pregnant again with my second son so I never even started the class. He is now 16 months old and I look around and see that I am in the same old predicament I was before. But this time I have my husband behind me ( I asked him to push me a bit) and my son who thinks it "cool" that Im in school too.
Its wonderful being a mother and a wife. I wouldnt trade having my kids young for the world, but its important that we as mothers secure our futures and the future of our children.
Best of luck to you an please let me know how far into class you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education