Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 09:53 PM

15,475 posts, read 15,442,495 times

Advertisements

I've seen articles bemoaning the decision to stop teaching cursive writing In school. But it hadn't occurred to me that this means that younger people literally can't read old manuscripts

How will they interpret the past?
No, most of these history students admitted, they could not read manuscripts. If they were assigned a research paper, they sought subjects that relied only on published sources. One student reshaped his senior honors thesis for this purpose; another reported that she did not pursue her interest in Virginia Woolf for an assignment that would have involved reading Woolf’s handwritten letters. In the future, cursive will have to be taught to scholars the way Elizabethan secretary hand or paleography is today.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...istory/671246/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 07:42 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,575,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've seen articles bemoaning the decision to stop teaching cursive writing In school. But it hadn't occurred to me that this means that younger people literally can't read old manuscripts

No, most of these history students admitted, they could not read manuscripts. If they were assigned a research paper, they sought subjects that relied only on published sources. One student reshaped his senior honors thesis for this purpose; another reported that she did not pursue her interest in Virginia Woolf for an assignment that would have involved reading Woolf’s handwritten letters. In the future, cursive will have to be taught to scholars the way Elizabethan secretary hand or paleography is today.
You can teach someone how to read something without teaching them how to write it. I can read some Japanese but I never really practice writing kanji. They are separate skills. I say this as a former English teacher who left in part because we were spending so much time drilling middle schooler on writing cursive when there were other skills they really needed to learn.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:58 AM

102,065 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You can teach someone how to read something without teaching them how to write it. I can read some Japanese but I never really practice writing kanji. They are separate skills. I say this as a former English teacher who left in part because we were spending so much time drilling middle schooler on writing cursive when there were other skills they really needed to learn.
Why was cursive taught in middle school? What era was this in? It used to be part of gradeschool education.

I was just thinking about the implications of generations growing up not being able to read cursive, OP. Among other things, it means they wouldn't be able to read a handwritten note on, say, a birthday or Christmas card, or a thank-you note written by someone from an older generation in the family. Cursive now is like a secret code only people above a certain age can decipher.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:58 AM

4,334 posts, read 4,275,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Well then their elementary school failed in THEIR job to teach cursive. We keep passing students who cannot spell, read, write or perform arithmetic at grade level.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:15 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,061,128 times
When was the verb “writing” changed to *cursive?*
Printing words was taught in the first grade,
writing words was taught in second grade.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:19 PM

9,880 posts, read 5,545,707 times
My daughter taught herself cursive, mostly because she wanted to write more quickly.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:56 PM

23,935 posts, read 10,293,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

I got my best job ever in the US because I can write and read Suetterlin. A rather useless skill generally which 4th and 5yh graders were tortured with. Manager was heavy into geneology. The actual job was a sideline.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:02 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,825,317 times
This is a relatively niche concern. Not too many people are seeking out old manuscripts to read, or in the position to have to do so. Ruth4Truth's concern has some merit, but you'd think older family members would soon learn to adjust, unless their well wishes are fully contingent on fluency in cursive being demonstrated by the would-be recipient.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:32 PM

15,973 posts, read 10,537,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This is a relatively niche concern. Not too many people are seeking out old manuscripts to read, or in the position to have to do so.
Only if you are working in genealogy, and then you do all of the time. I volunteered in a state archives office and had to read the cursive handwriting all the time for all sorts of records that people asked for. Most were in English. Some were in French, some in Spanish, some in both. Handwritten records are primary source material -- mostly in cursive.

Then there is often the language problem. Irish church records are scribbled in English and Latin. Priestly cursive is awful.

Fraktur and kurrent, both old German script/print font, are commonly encountered in the same official documents after about 1874. Kurrent is handwritten and based on medieval cursive. German newspapers in the US often used the old German Fractur print font. I don't know if many Germans can read it now. Sütterlin is another later version of old German script.

If you have a cheat sheet you can figure out the letters.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:39 PM

4,152 posts, read 4,392,866 times
Interesting, I recently was reading a discovered box of old letters of correspondence from my deceased mom, who as a teenager wrote to her older brothers during world war two. The correspondence between them was more eligible than many written things I encounter from work and in everyday life which is printed / written.

The high school she went to had calligraphy and handwriting classes (shorthand) as part of business school coursework.

I think the influence of keyboard with PCs is impacting ability to write cursive as I surmise many children once they learn alphabet, if they have mobile devices / pc's in schools etc... begin printing and writing via a keyboard.

Personally, I think teaching cursive is important to motor skills (manual dexterity) and spatial translation. For example, the ability to write something quickly without looking at what you are doing based on muscle memory from learning the cursive process. On the other hand, the Romans only used printed capital characters so civilization is not dependent on it.

The public school I attended taught printing in 1st grade and 2nd grade we learned cursive. Still remember the large samples of cursive on lined charts which were hanging on upper walls with the alphabet and the numbers showing the proper formation of said characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education