Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 11:38 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Not sure I'm following you on this part. Care to elaborate. Never heard of perfect references or extra curriculars, but then again I never applied to Ivy league schools. What is a perfect reference? One from the Pope.
It was touched on earlier. Consider you are a good chess player, an admissions coach will tell you to join the softball team even if you only play when everyone is hurt. Or violin and piano as your art just puts you in a faceless mob of your ethnic peers

Old 12-15-2022, 12:52 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
True. Having an Anglo-sounding surname can be misleading. A lot of religious people in the West adopt children, particularly girls who are often abandoned due to the one-child policy and other reasons (cleft palate, deformed limb, etc), from China. Naturally the adopted child has the last name of the adoptive parents.
What you say is true, but in the case of Australia, not that likely. There is little adoption here, less than 400 children are legally adopted each year and most are known to the families. About 35 are from overseas.

What is more likely here is that a student with an entirely Anglo name might have an Australian father and Asian mother, very common.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:39 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I noticed that the person who topped the state in Advanced English had a Chinese name and the person who topped Chinese had an Anglo name. Not that that necessarily means much.
Many Jewish people adopted Anglo names as well, including, unfortunately, a bunch in my immediate family.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I'd like to remind everyone about the TOS for this site that everyone agreed to when they registered. In it it says, "Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued" That is strictly enforced on the education forum and if you don't like that, please find another place to post. This thread seems to be a magnet for people who usually post on the POC page. Staying closed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education