Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 09:00 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I still want to know how Harvard evaluates the kindness and likability of applicants.
Where is that on the SAT or HS transcript? Or is it in the admissions essay?
However the interviewers want to. Lawsuit insurance it is

Old 12-08-2022, 09:09 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
However the interviewers want to. Lawsuit insurance it is
What interviewers? Are personal interviews a required part of the admissions process to Harvard?

Old 12-08-2022, 09:26 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
What interviewers? Are personal interviews a required part of the admissions process to Harvard?
Of course colleges prefer interviews before admissions. If not in person, by zoom.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:30 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Harvard specifically, who knows but all the name schools play the same game. Interviewers along with those that read essays and recommendations and evaluate supplemental materials that the professional admissions coach told them x school had seemed to put on top in the years before, so tweak it as they say they are adding something just a little bit different for diversity's sake.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:55 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Yes... and no. Some organizations are explicit.

Let me give you a first person anecdote. As with all such anecdotes, this doesn't prove or disprove much of anything, but it may shed some light.

There I was, attending the staff meeting of the General Counsel of the corporation -- a Fortune 50 high tech company. A senior HR official was also in attendance. The HR official gave a presentation on the new corporate-wide hiring freeze implemented because of the Great Recession.

HR: "You may not under any circumstances hire anyone from outside the company. The corporation-wide hiring freeze is in effect until further notice due to the Recession."

Then one of the General Counsel's staff members who was Vice President, Corporate Secretary, and Deputy General Counsel spoke up:

Legal VP: "I have a special circumstance. As you know, my team serves the Board of Directors, and the Board has instructed me to hire a replacement for an SEC compliance attorney who recently left the company."

HR: "Everyone pleads a special circumstance, and the answer is 'You many not under any circumstances hire anyone from outside the company. The corporation-wide hiring freeze is in effect until further notice. The ONLY exception is for the hire of female and Affirmative Action candidate and only then with the personal signature of the VP of HR.' The only reason we might approve such a hire is we have a corporate commitment to improve our diversity numbers. "

Legal VP: "But the Board of Directors, including the Chairman of the Board, has instructed me to backfill this job right away to ensure we are in legal compliance with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including generating SEC filings and ensuring full legal compliance with all relevant SEC laws and regulations."

HR: "You many not under any circumstances hire anyone from outside the company. The corporation-wide hiring freeze is in effect until further notice. The ONLY exception is for the hire of female and Affirmative Action candidate and only then with the personal signature of the VP of HR."

Legal VP: "What am I supposed to do? Place a help-wanted ad in the Cal Bar website saying "Senior SEC compliance attorney wanted; no white males need apply?"

HR: "Don't be silly; you know you can't do that. You can advertise, you can interview, but you may not under any circumstances hire anyone from outside the company. The ONLY exception is for the hire of female and Affirmative Action candidate and only then with the personal signature of the VP of HR."

This went round-and-round for several iterations until the GC cut them off.
I mean, I understand why someone might object to this policy, but it sounds like the legal VP was being deliberately obtuse. The HR directive also left the door open for directly recruiting someone who fit the required profile, as well as seeking an internal hire of any demographic. In my experience most higher level positions are de facto filled before they're even advertised - the people hiring tend to have a potential candidate in mind - and it's not crazy to think that the VP might have, say, a go-getter of a lower-level employee that they're looking to promote, or someone in their professional network that they'd like to headhunt.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:33 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I mean, I understand why someone might object to this policy, but it sounds like the legal VP was being deliberately obtuse. The HR directive also left the door open for directly recruiting someone who fit the required profile, as well as seeking an internal hire of any demographic. In my experience most higher level positions are de facto filled before they're even advertised - the people hiring tend to have a potential candidate in mind - and it's not crazy to think that the VP might have, say, a go-getter of a lower-level employee that they're looking to promote, or someone in their professional network that they'd like to headhunt.
Haven't you ever heard of telling someone without telling them? This is a prime example. The expectation was clearly communicated without it ever being said right out in a way that could be used in the future.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:51 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Haven't you ever heard of telling someone without telling them? This is a prime example. The expectation was clearly communicated without it ever being said right out in a way that could be used in the future.
Even then, I don’t think the verbiage is as airtight as they think it is—assuming this is a (roughly) verbatim retelling and not a paraphrase (which can make a difference, depending on key words and phrases).

Old 12-08-2022, 02:39 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Even then, I don’t think the verbiage is as airtight as they think it is—assuming this is a (roughly) verbatim retelling and not a paraphrase (which can make a difference, depending on key words and phrases).
You do realize that when you are actually corporate counsel, your boss is the company. It means that if you don’t like what you tell them, they can fire you. It puts you in a tricky situation if your client decides they have no desire whatsoever to follow any advice you give. A lot of people in legal just end up with mannerisms that imply a proposed action is illegal without saying “No, you can’t do that.”

Old 12-08-2022, 02:58 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You do realize that when you are actually corporate counsel, your boss is the company. It means that if you don’t like what you tell them, they can fire you. It puts you in a tricky situation if your client decides they have no desire whatsoever to follow any advice you give. A lot of people in legal just end up with mannerisms that imply a proposed action is illegal without saying “No, you can’t do that.”
I am a lawyer, so as a matter of fact, I do. I have no idea what this organization is, or how they generally operate. But a lot of organizations with in-house legal teams give employment law short shrift (which they dismiss as “unsophisticated”) and let their associate general counsel, who may not even have a litigation background, hack around with it and try to learn on the fly. Whether or not this happened here, any policy that requires an external hire check an affirmative action box is pure insanity. No harm no foul if there are no external hires during the hiring freeze, and even then, they’ll probably get away with the hiring practice because people rarely sue when they’re simply not hired for a position with a new organization (especially when they’re white males).

I feel like we’re getting off-topic, though.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 12-08-2022 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-08-2022, 03:44 PM

849 posts, read 554,024 times
I know a Chinese girl in California who got straight A's in high school and took math AP courses etc. However she has little experience in sports or social services. Eventually all the UC schools rejected her and she attended U of Utah, with some PSAT scholarship.
However, she wanted to study computer science. For other majors, it may not be so competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education