U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:52 AM

27 posts, read 57,870 times

Advertisements

I have been throughly disgusted with the amount of education my children have received in NC public schools. I was doing some research and found a website that pretty much summed up all my thoughts. I hope it's not against the rules to post a link. Check this out and maybe we can all have a discussion. If my children had learned half of this, I would be happy. 27 Skills Your Child Needs to Know That She’s Not Getting In School | Zen Habits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:18 AM

876 posts, read 1,451,901 times
this is where parents are lazy as far as thinking it is the schools responsibility to teach this stuff. try teaching this to your kids at home and then there won't be as many distractions at school which will lead them to learning more. sound good?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 AM

68 posts, read 209,052 times
All these skills were taught to me by my parents, not by the school system.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 AM

12,040 posts, read 16,783,404 times
I got all of that from the school system- except for the ones I would never want, such as non-competitiveness and auto (if you lack common sense then no amount of classes will help you). If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen as I like to say. If you don't want competition, you can always work as a janitor somewhere.

Most of that all seems to be common sense. Not to mention that most of the retirement advice I got in economics was coming from a teacher who was in debt to put his child through a private school that wasn't up to par with the local public schools.

How is the school's job to teach you to find your purpose? How many 5-18 year olds are able to condense down their limited life's experience and knowledge to know what their role in the world is? Some can and most need a lot more direction, but that's something that comes from within. In fact, most of those "skills" are internally driven. It'd just be a waste trying to teach most of those skills in an academic environment.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 AM

2,838 posts, read 9,041,623 times
This is why we homeschool... because schools, by design, simply do not teach children what they need to know, but instead fill their days with generally useless busywork/behavior management/indoctrination. No school can teach the things in the link you posted. All of that is up to parents.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 PM

847 posts, read 3,240,888 times
Most, if not all of those, can and will be taught in public school over the years, for sure. Many of those skills come from being amongst classmates everyday and learning how to interact, get along, etc.
Learning about competition, healthy and otherwise, happens in school. Teachers help students develop passions, compassion, social skills.

You can even learn auto at public schools, now what private school is going to teach that!

As far as the financial, I have seen several lesson plans in math classes that teach all that stuff, especially in high school courses entitle Personal Financial Math, or others that are titled similarly.

Most of those skills listed are things that kids develop over time by having normal lives with normal everyday interactions.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:19 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,041,623 times
Hey, Novanative, I haven't seen you around in a while! Welcome back! Or, if you've been around the whole time, then welcome back to my little bubble, LOL.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM

847 posts, read 3,240,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Hey, Novanative, I haven't seen you around in a while! Welcome back! Or, if you've been around the whole time, then welcome back to my little bubble, LOL.
Thanks! I have been a little MIA, not sure why! But, school is over tomorrow so I am sure I will be around more!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,146,828 times
After reading the list those look like things that should be taught in the home by parents and by parents setting the example and not the school.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:04 PM

27 posts, read 57,870 times
Ok,

I give. I seem to be outnumbered! I believe; though, that it takes a "village" to raise a child. A parent can teach some of these things at home, but there needs to be reinforcement at school. It is my experience that a lot a children are graduating high school without even knowing how to fill out a 1040 tax form. It would be nice if students learned about investment strategies or ways to be financially successful and could be better prepared for the "real" world. Depending on what curriculum you take in high school, some students aren't even learning how to conduct themselves at job interviews. Schools are in no way a measurement of whether a person will be successful in life. If you are honest with yourself, you might realize that some of the children graduating from high school today don't even know the BASICS. It would be nice if public schools could take a larger role in creating the "leaders" of tomorrow. I think we are just creating "followers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or