Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 01:05 PM

44,903 posts, read 59,894,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Private industry does it all the time.
And applications have a question about that with yes/no checkbox.

And being certified by the state means you already jumped through many of those hoops already...like criminal background check.
Baltimore County Public Schools:
Daughter 2 student taught Spring 2011, background check, fingerprints, etc. required in late 2010, again, even though she'd been in a lab school practice teaching, after the background check, fingerprints, etc. for a year prior.

Offered position in July 2011 in a high school. Background check, fingerprints, etc. again required.

That's Maryland.

I applied for job in PA, Dean of Students, and, although I hit all the marks and was a paper finalist, I was disqualified because my fingerprints were two weeks out of date upon receipt of application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 01:48 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,113,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Baltimore County Public Schools:
Daughter 2 student taught Spring 2011, background check, fingerprints, etc. required in late 2010, again, even though she'd been in a lab school practice teaching, after the background check, fingerprints, etc. for a year prior.

Offered position in July 2011 in a high school. Background check, fingerprints, etc. again required.

That's Maryland.

I applied for job in PA, Dean of Students, and, although I hit all the marks and was a paper finalist, I was disqualified because my fingerprints were two weeks out of date upon receipt of application.
My parents were both educators who retired before most of this came about, but issues with teachers were pretty rare too. They happened but much less than today. They would support clearances required today if they were still living.

However; the fingerprints being out of date? That sounds really crazy, as prints don't change. I guess there could be some issue with a person killing a teacher and assuming his/her identity? Such things happen, as I've seen on Forensic Files a few times. But they could simply ask for updated prints. That would be courteous if you were in the running.

I agree too, that all the hoops would be frustrating for what teachers are paid. But many professions are having more hoops. Many routine office jobs are much harder to get without a college degree. I discovered that when I worked offices in the 80's and 90's. My bad that I didn't get a degree, but their bad that it was necessary for some fairly low paying jobs. An inlaw years ago rose fairly high in a corporate job in spite of only having high school. He did do professional courses with his company and did quite well. Nearly unheard of today.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:00 PM

12,597 posts, read 8,824,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffking View Post
I will start by saying I am an IT professional, not a teacher. I have applied for jobs in K-12 schools a handful times, but I never got any of them. Here are the steps I had to take:
Schedule a time to visit a police station and have my fingerprints taken(At my own expense!), this earns you a Criminal Record History card that must be renewed after five years.
Submit Criminal Record History card, three signed letters of recommendation, resume, cover letter, long-form application, and sealed transcripts from every school I have ever attended.
Most of the schools I've applied for required all of this for all support positions, like IT, admin, and food service. Most of the time, they pay much less than equivalent positions in the private sector.
I don't think the average person is going to jump through all these hoops when they could make more money at a grocery store.
How else are they going to keep a closed shop?

Old 01-31-2023, 02:23 PM

44,903 posts, read 59,894,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
My parents were both educators who retired before most of this came about, but issues with teachers were pretty rare too. They happened but much less than today. They would support clearances required today if they were still living.

However; the fingerprints being out of date? That sounds really crazy, as prints don't change. I guess there could be some issue with a person killing a teacher and assuming his/her identity? Such things happen, as I've seen on Forensic Files a few times. But they could simply ask for updated prints. That would be courteous if you were in the running.

I agree too, that all the hoops would be frustrating for what teachers are paid. But many professions are having more hoops. Many routine office jobs are much harder to get without a college degree. I discovered that when I worked offices in the 80's and 90's. My bad that I didn't get a degree, but their bad that it was necessary for some fairly low paying jobs. An inlaw years ago rose fairly high in a corporate job in spite of only having high school. He did do professional courses with his company and did quite well. Nearly unheard of today.
Incidents happened, and I really don't think the frequency has changed, just the 24 hour news cycle and the laws. Used to be a teacher fooling around with a student ended up with the teacher getting kicked upstairs. The running joke for years in the system where I worked was to just date a student and you became an Assistant Principal. I graduated from high school fifty years ago and can think of at least a half dozen instances without straining in my small, rural high school from then. Both male and female teachers.

The school system where I live had a situation where a teacher messed around with a member of the youth choir at his church. Got kicked out of the church but became a subject area supervisor with the school system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How else are they going to keep a closed shop?
You know better than that.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:17 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,348,450 times
The rec letters are bs. 200 school districts in AZ, alone... How many times are you going to bother people? Anyone can get a letter...would be quite difficult to scam a fingerprint check.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:24 PM

50,176 posts, read 23,817,504 times
Quote:
And a background check can be 1 month old but if it's from a different district it doesn't count....
Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel.

And we can see from current news that an up to date criminal background check will not eliminate "issues".
So since it doesn't work 100% of the time, don't do it at all?

Old 01-31-2023, 05:21 PM

41,728 posts, read 17,308,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So since it doesn't work 100% of the time, don't do it at all?
It was done for the certification. The school can easily get an update from a form you sign rather than the entire process from step 1 all over again.

Have you ever worked in the private sector ?

Old 01-31-2023, 06:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 872,162 times
yes, it is.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:04 PM

50,176 posts, read 23,817,504 times
Quote:
It was done for the certification. The school can easily get an update from a form you sign rather than the entire process from step 1 all over again.

Have you ever worked in the private sector ?
No, and I don't care how the private sector operates.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:18 PM

41,728 posts, read 17,308,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, and I don't care how the private sector operates.
And you are retired for some time and nothing has changed since.

If the administration of education doesn't keep up with the current times for employees then schools should not be crying about how no one is applying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education