Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

here are some of the classes-

plant science
soil science
pest mgmt
community gardening
plant selection
irrig design
water features
landscape design
maintence and equip.
land construction
arboriculture
native plants

Im sure there is some other job you can get besides the labor of landscaping,what else is there,Im not sure if this course is a degree or a certificate, but Im curious,I am really interested in landscape designing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
working with cities states on greenscape design

working with large tract developers like david weekley homes or toll brothers--although now that housing is taking a dive don't know how likely it would be to get job in that field

working with golf course design. golf clubs

therea re some groups that are trying to get people to do gardening on vacant city lots for their own food needs, to reclaim the environment, and as money maker

Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 AM

519 posts, read 1,696,836 times
Hello? Like work for Disneyland!!!!!!!!! That would be awesome!

I've known Landscape Archs to get their degrees because they want to design for Disney's resorts, parks, etc.

Also, many Landscape Archs want to design city parks .. and I agree with the previous poster. You don't just have to mow lawns!

Why not work for a resort designing their landscape? Or a city? Or a university? Or a housing development?

Old 06-06-2008, 03:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,620 times
Okay, sorry to post again (I responded to you on the other thread) but I want you to understand, the people who are on this thread and the other thread that keep suggesting you can do things like working with golf course design, or working for a city doing Urban/Park planning, don't understand the certificate you are getting.

The certificate you are getting will not give you the back ground necessary to take the LARE, which is what you take to get your Landscape Architecture license.

You can do a lot with your certificate, I am not trying to discourage you, I just keep seeing people post jobs that you will have a hard time getting.

If you are interested in design, you need to get a degree/certificate in landscape design or a degree/masters in Landscape Architecture.

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 06-06-2008 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,272 times
I went to Penn State and we have a pretty good LARCH program.....

Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, Academic Programs -- Department of Landscape Architecture, Penn State

that link talks about potential jobs and I think that if this were an area in which you have a lot of passion, you could def get a job as landscape architects aren't too common (as compared to a business major...)

Old 06-08-2008, 07:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Okay, sorry to post again (I responded to you on the other thread) but I want you to understand, the people who are on this thread and the other thread that keep suggesting you can do things like working with golf course design, or working for a city doing Urban/Park planning, don't understand the certificate you are getting.

The certificate you are getting will not give you the back ground necessary to take the LARE, which is what you take to get your Landscape Architecture license.

You can do a lot with your certificate, I am not trying to discourage you, I just keep seeing people post jobs that you will have a hard time getting.

If you are interested in design, you need to get a degree/certificate in landscape design or a degree/masters in Landscape Architecture.

But do keep building your educational background, because if you do, you will be able to score the great jobs suggested here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education