Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2023, 02:52 PM
 
19,401 posts, read 17,617,022 times
Reputation: 16963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think the belief these days is that there really is no reason to just bend over and take it from the boss. Maybe work to live instead of live to work. Boomers have their panties in a twist over that.

Just don't come crying to me in 30 yrs. when all the work to live types are broke, option-less and screaming for handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2023, 03:12 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,524 posts, read 57,336,643 times
Reputation: 45818
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just don't come crying to me in 30 yrs. when all the work to live types are broke, option-less and screaming for handouts.
and crying because they still have student loan debt (which was unnecessary to begin with).

Experience / preparedness for employment and life is FREE. (In fact you can even get PAID for getting it)
College can be very CHEAP. (Or FREE as well) Employer pays, military, overseas....


I Just Found Out The Average Cost Of College In Every State, And I'm So Scared For Gen Z

1. North Dakota
Average Cost of College: $23,071
Average Cost of Public College: $21,795
Average Cost of Private College: $25,944
https://www.buzzfeed.com/meganelisco...ery-state-2023
https://scholaroo.com/report/average...lege-by-state/
Scholaroo conducted an analysis of data gathered from public and private colleges across the United States to reveal the average expenses for out-of-state students at each state’s universities
Fully loaded, room and board included (as if that is free if NOT in college)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-21-2023 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2023, 03:36 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
10,187 posts, read 13,690,517 times
Reputation: 17836
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just don't come crying to me in 30 yrs. when all the work to live types are broke, option-less and screaming for handouts.
I love when people deal in extremes like this. Just stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and crying because they still have student loan debt (which was unnecessary to begin with).

Experience / preparedness for employment and life is FREE. (In fact you can even get PAID for getting it)
College can be very CHEAP. (Or FREE as well) Employer pays, military, overseas....


I Just Found Out The Average Cost Of College In Every State, And I'm So Scared For Gen Z

1. North Dakota
Average Cost of College: $23,071
Average Cost of Public College: $21,795
Average Cost of Private College: $25,944
https://www.buzzfeed.com/meganelisco...ery-state-2023
https://scholaroo.com/report/average...lege-by-state/
Scholaroo conducted an analysis of data gathered from public and private colleges across the United States to reveal the average expenses for out-of-state students at each state’s universities
Fully loaded, room and board included (as if that is free if NOT in college)
The same comments continue I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2023, 03:56 PM
 
Location: NMB, SC
41,537 posts, read 17,069,919 times
Reputation: 34074
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think the belief these days is that there really is no reason to just bend over and take it from the boss. Maybe work to live instead of live to work. Boomers have their panties in a twist over that.
It doesn't seem to be like that. It's more about working conditions, more emphasis on the "life" part of work/life balance and, as with all generations, more money.

But not all jobs can accommodate these demands.
Teaching is an example...you can't just take off to fly somewhere for a week whenever you want.
Rotating shifts in hospitals...you can't just say "I don't like working at night".
WFH...the remote work caught on big time and few want to go back into the office 9-5.

These seem to be the issues I'm reading about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2023, 04:13 PM
 
19,401 posts, read 17,617,022 times
Reputation: 16963
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I love when people deal in extremes like this. Just stop.
Stop yourself. When you throw out feelings based stream-of-consciousness expect push back.

And on the merits not even close. It'll be reality for legions and already is for many. The bottom socioeconomic ~1/3 of young males are the worst performing large cadre of Americans in at least 125 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2023, 04:48 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,524 posts, read 57,336,643 times
Reputation: 45818
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
... reality for legions and already is for many. The bottom socioeconomic ~1/3 of young males are the worst performing large cadre of Americans in at least 125 years.
And during the most prosperous time in History;

1) Plenty of Money
2) Plenty of Education
3) Plenty of Information
4) Plenty of Jobs
5) Unparalled privileges

Unlimited access to each, and freedom to pursue.

Unmatched opportunity and benefit, which will be sad to see go, of which they are certain to eventually lapse.

Then you will hear some crying, and probably see some dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2023, 08:43 AM
 
19,401 posts, read 17,617,022 times
Reputation: 16963
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And during the most prosperous time in History;

1) Plenty of Money
2) Plenty of Education
3) Plenty of Information
4) Plenty of Jobs
5) Unparalled privileges

Unlimited access to each, and freedom to pursue.

Unmatched opportunity and benefit, which will be sad to see go, of which they are certain to eventually lapse.

Then you will hear some crying, and probably see some dying.
IMO all of this approaches the unbelievable. We boomers have raised the weakest children in our nation's history. To be precise we've raised sub-sets from two generations in a row who objectively cannot compete and two other subsets who will not. Your list is right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2023, 09:04 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,000 posts, read 106,624,171 times
Reputation: 115713
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
IMO all of this approaches the unbelievable. We boomers have raised the weakest children in our nation's history. To be precise we've raised sub-sets from two generations in a row who objectively cannot compete and two other subsets who will not. Your list is right on.
Boomers didn't raise GenZ. Boomers raised GenX and some of the Millennials. GenX contributed to the Millennial Generation and GenZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2023, 09:28 AM
 
1,594 posts, read 801,980 times
Reputation: 2530
When has the business world ever thought new graduates were prepared for the workforce. For as long as I have been browsing the web (a long time) I seen articles complaining how some sector is not prepared for the workforce. They are either lacking technical skills or character attributes, or just demanding too much money. I'm starting to think this is just an excuse to get the powers that be to let them import an endless amount of foreign labor. No one is prefect. There is still more room to develop after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2023, 09:52 AM
 
19,401 posts, read 17,617,022 times
Reputation: 16963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Boomers didn't raise GenZ. Boomers raised GenX and some of the Millennials. GenX contributed to the Millennial Generation and GenZ.
I take your point but there is more overlap than you imply. I'm a boomer, my wife very early era Gen-X by a couple of months. Our kids are an older Zoomer and two very young Millennials.


Keep in mind the oldest Zoomers are in their later 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top