Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 11:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

My daughter graduated last year with degrees in education (certified K-9 in IL, K-6 in PA) and sociology. For the last year she has been teaching English in China, and will not get home until late August. Unfortunately, she signed a contract last year and cannot come home earlier.

She has a close friend who has offered her a room in her Manhattan apartment for a very low monthly rent and my daughter is now interested in teaching in a NYC private school. I think she's been turned off of teaching in public schools due to the NCLB rules and likes the teaching methods that many private schools encourage. She student taught at two publics and one private in IL and Missouri.

Anyone have any experience with getting hired at private schools in Manhattan? She knows that it would be to her advantage to be certified and I am not asking about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
To teach at the elite private schools in NYC, one pretty much has to have a degree from a top college. Private schools don't too much care about the certification.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:40 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
A top college with a major in education?? Daughter graduated from a small private LAC, with highest honors, but I don't think it's considered a "top" college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education