Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2024, 07:54 PM
 
15,468 posts, read 15,438,667 times
Reputation: 21759

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
American classrooms need more educators. Can virtual teachers step in to bridge the gap?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/70712191007/

The article cites some progress in using virtual/remote teachers. While not ideal, it seems to add some value sometimes.
Well, they aren't going to get more educators. I was talking to an outraged parent who said there was literally no class for two grades in his child's school.

The combination of low pay, big responsibility, and harassing parents is killing off the "industry."

And from what I've read, no, virtual teaching doesn't work that well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2024, 10:54 AM
 
18,533 posts, read 10,469,510 times
Reputation: 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, they aren't going to get more educators. I was talking to an outraged parent who said there was literally no class for two grades in his child's school.

The combination of low pay, big responsibility, and harassing parents is killing off the "industry."

And from what I've read, no, virtual teaching doesn't work that well.
Yes in a nutshell! Parents are a bigger problem then the students are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2024, 10:58 AM
 
4,353 posts, read 4,192,811 times
Reputation: 5776
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes in a nutshell! Parents are a bigger problem then the students are.
And part of the problem with parents is that most of them don't know how many really bad parents there are that the teachers have to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2024, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,165 posts, read 23,808,801 times
Reputation: 32550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
And part of the problem with parents is that most of them don't know how many really bad parents there are that the teachers have to deal with.
often including themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2024, 09:39 AM
 
Location: WA
5,289 posts, read 7,583,751 times
Reputation: 8230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, they aren't going to get more educators. I was talking to an outraged parent who said there was literally no class for two grades in his child's school.

The combination of low pay, big responsibility, and harassing parents is killing off the "industry."

And from what I've read, no, virtual teaching doesn't work that well.
What state and what were the circumstances?

In point of fact, the number of teachers and average class sizes across the country has been relatively stable over the past decade nationwide. That doesn't mean there aren't huge disparities between states and regions and localities in terms of the desirability of teaching jobs. Many rural parts of the country have difficulty attracting teachers because they are crummy places to live and the jobs are low-paid with bad working conditions. But those places have difficulty attracting any sort of professionals, much less teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2024, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Sunny So. Cal.
4,234 posts, read 1,587,038 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
IMO No. Virtual Teachers are not Teachers, simply put they are Instructors, big difference.
What’s the difference between teachers and instructors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2024, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
10,004 posts, read 7,143,334 times
Reputation: 17096
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
What state and what were the circumstances?

In point of fact, the number of teachers and average class sizes across the country has been relatively stable over the past decade nationwide. That doesn't mean there aren't huge disparities between states and regions and localities in terms of the desirability of teaching jobs. Many rural parts of the country have difficulty attracting teachers because they are crummy places to live and the jobs are low-paid with bad working conditions. But those places have difficulty attracting any sort of professionals, much less teachers.
There is a problem with parents being more disrespectful, but my sense is that reflects a general coarseness in society. Teaching is not the only job class facing a hostile public these days, but teachers are a little more used to respect. Yes, dealing with irate parents is obnoxious. But if I'm being paid decently and if I'm protected in my job from their complaints, I will put up with some mild harassment from the public as part of the job.

Having been on the hiring side of education for over 10 years, I can confidently say it's the pay that is the main problem. The salaries have simply not kept up with inflation so we're seeing an expected result - decline in the volume and quality of applicants as real compensation has declined. The job is being de-professionalized. The decline in volume of applicants started in my area circa about 2017-18. The pandemic caused it to decline to crisis proportions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2024, 06:35 PM
 
Location: NMB, SC
41,717 posts, read 17,294,014 times
Reputation: 34183
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There is a problem with parents being more disrespectful, but my sense is that reflects a general coarseness in society. Teaching is not the only job class facing a hostile public these days, but teachers are a little more used to respect. Yes, dealing with irate parents is obnoxious. But if I'm being paid decently and if I'm protected in my job from their complaints, I will put up with some mild harassment from the public as part of the job.

Having been on the hiring side of education for over 10 years, I can confidently say it's the pay that is the main problem. The salaries have simply not kept up with inflation so we're seeing an expected result - decline in the volume and quality of applicants as real compensation has declined. The job is being de-professionalized. The decline in volume of applicants started in my area circa about 2017-18. The pandemic caused it to decline to crisis proportions.
People just do not want to pay more taxes so..the salaries will remain low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2024, 08:46 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Reputation: 45947
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
People just do not want to pay more taxes so..the salaries will remain low.
What % of your local school district budget is TEACHER (only) pay?

This is public information that usually must be burrowed for... As lots of unnecessary salaries are often reported as required wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top