Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 04:17 PM

44,793 posts, read 59,706,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm not sure how you make that assumption. I said "most." There are some that make in the $100K plus range, mostly dept heads and such. And there are some that make in the $50K range that are new hires. Does no good to talk about the extreme ends of the scale because that distorts the conversation.
I remember a few years ago when someone was claiming that teachers on Long Island made $600,000 a year. Turned out that he was talking about the Superintendent. Didn't make a difference, he stuck to his claim.

Just like the people who insist that teachers draw unemployment in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 06:35 PM

350 posts, read 184,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It is immoral, in my opinion, to deprive an entire generation of a proper education simply because the previous generation couldn't get its act together. Especially while also passing onto them a planet with deteriorating climate and an enormous and unsustainable national debt.
Do I have this straight?

PARENTS are responsible for the weather. (playing along here)

PARENTS are responsible for the national debt.

PARENTS are NOT responsible for their young children being totally unprepared to enter school.

WHO's responsible for the teachers and schools activist agenda, curriculum, and STUDENT RATIO when million of non English speaking non educated foreign kids are thrown at the schools?

I would NEVER send my kid to a government or even private school at this point.

All you have to do is go on teacher TikTok - which is actually the best form of birth control.

#homeschool

Old 09-15-2023, 07:48 AM

9,691 posts, read 7,494,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
If they all leave, then how will the community function without police, teachers, etc.!?

They could fix some of this by building some g-d housing. Lots of it. The way it's going, this place is going to be populated by the wealthy and the homeless, little else.

I'm a little optimistic, since there was substantial public support when the nurses went on strike, and the hospital system gave in to most of what they asked for pretty quick once they realized that. It leaked out that the hospital system's negotiators told the nurses they needed to marry someone who made more money or live an hour away to own a house. The public got really pissed when that leaked.

I think teachers will get similar support when they strike.
If all young families leave, you won't need as many teachers.

But really, why complain and stress about it? We live in a huge country with many wonderful places to live that don't have the affordability issue that your area currently has. People make choices every day to move where they can build a nice life.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:03 AM

34,748 posts, read 30,761,460 times
On salary, people seem to be discounting the fact that many small towns and rural areas do not have a large supply of well-paying professional employment.

I'm from an area of about 500k in northeast TN. Aside from a Fortune 500 chemical company, a large regional hospital system, and a handful of professional positions with a regional grocery chain, there really isn't much in the way of professional positions.

Entry-level IT analyst/engineer positions with the hospital system pay less than a city teacher's starting salary at 22 - by about 20%. Around here, teaching is a (relatively) well paid occupation with incredible benefits that is always in demand.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:54 AM

7,138 posts, read 3,412,115 times
Quote:
You can't eat a pension or health insurance, nor will either put a roof over your head. When CoL was cheaper those were considerations. But now no one cares.
Personally, I believe defined benefit pensions should be eliminated for at least 2 reasons: (1) they act as handcuffs which introduce friction into the labor market, and (2) individuals can be and should be responsible for their own financial planning & decisions regarding retirement. Health care (we don't really have health insurance in this country for the most part) should be divorced from employment.

If my comments above were implemented across the economy (which, of course, has a snowball's chance in hell) then employees can and would migrate to school districts that pay well and have great working conditions, and losing districts would have to pay up to compete. That's a good thing.

Quote:
20k. Will work like magic.
I suspect you're right.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As the great Frank Knight has been credited, "there is no they only us."
I'm repping you for knowing who Frank Knight was!

Old 09-15-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But they wouldn't be able to live in that area if homes there are $650K...
Quote:
If they all leave, then how will the community function without police, teachers, etc.!?
Several years before the pandemic, I read an interesting article regarding extremely high cost of living communities in the SF Bay Area paying their first responders extra stipends to live in the area. IIRC, Menlo Park (a small very affluent community on the SF Peninsula) paid its fire department employees extra to live within quick response distance. Depending on the level of employee, it could go up to an extra $250K on top of their normal paycheck. Tax protected.

Even so, the article talked recounted one fireman who lives in Reno, NV and commutes to Menlo Park,CA. if he's only off for a couple days, he stays in Menlo Park sleeping on a couch in the fire station.

I don't think communities will go that far to recruit teachers. Unless they are desperate.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:19 AM

12,897 posts, read 7,276,077 times
^ Even MD's got a bonus. Nephew, as a new MD, got a substantial housing bonus towards home, with Conditions.

Old 09-15-2023, 12:33 PM

19,406 posts, read 17,617,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I'm repping you for knowing who Frank Knight was!
1. I did most of my graduate work at Chicago. At that point dead for more than ten years and not a full time professor since the middle 1950s, Knight still cast a very long shadow.

2. The guy who relayed that quote studied/worked directly with Knight during Knight's emeritus years in the 1960s.

3. A contrarian generally, I've spent most of my professional life in oil and gas. Knight's writings and discussions per business side vs. economic theory risk & rational thinking vs. reward, some of that written 100yrs. ago, remains valuable today and was invaluable to me.

Old 09-15-2023, 03:47 PM

768 posts, read 447,345 times
Schools across the country can’t find teachers because of the low pay and awful working conditions. Even if they increased the pay, most would rather work for less pay and have peace of mind instead, so I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education